Nate's Injury

vegas55

:D Exactly what was Nate Clements doing playing late into the second quarter of the the last preseason game. Every other team is resting their starters in that last preseason game; and in fact Detroit had their third string QB in at the time. I understand the offense getting some extra work, but not a veteran defense which has been playing under the same system for three + years. EVEN WORSE, Clements and our other starting CB were returning punts and kickoffs late into the second quarter. Hey Mike those games don't count, but the game Sunday does, and Nate is a question mark for it.

However you feel about Mularkey using starters for so long (and for returning kicks) in the last preseason game, it was a controversial move. And yet, not one word of discussion about it from those stellar "commentators" Tasker and Levy.

:D Exactly what was Nate Clements doing playing late into the second quarter of the the last preseason game. Every other team is resting their starters in that last preseason game; and in fact Detroit had their third string QB in at the time. I understand the offense getting some extra work, but not a veteran defense which has been playing under the same system for three + years. EVEN WORSE, Clements and our other starting CB were returning punts and kickoffs late into the second quarter. Hey Mike those games don't count, but the game Sunday does, and Nate is a question mark for it.

However you feel about Mularkey using starters for so long (and for returning kicks) in the last preseason game, it was a controversial move. And yet, not one word of discussion about it from those stellar "commentators" Tasker and Levy.

432830[/snapback]

Nate should not have been suited up......none of our D starters should have for that matter. Our backups needed as much time as our O second stringers did.

I understand your point, however this is MM philosphy. What if Fletcher gets hurts on teams? Kinda the catch 22---- we love our ST teams to death, but we play a boatload of starters . On the one hand, makes sence to have the best athletes on your team on the field for the most plays, but you do risk the injury. On the other hand, you also have the best teams unit in the NFL.

Guess I'm saying you can't have it both wyas

MM obviously thought they needed more work. Considering Detriot walked down the field on a couple of series i have to agree. Sitting none hurt players can do more harm then good. You don't want them to come out flat on opening day.

MM is the coach and i support him 100 percent. Injury's are part of the game you can't predict them. Our linebackers haven't missed a game in like 3 years. This week one of them could have a season ending injury.

MM wants mentally tough people. Babying them doesn't help them.

Yes, but if you don't play you can't get hurt.  Our first team defense should have played two or three series, no more.

432959[/snapback]

So, I guess it boils down to not playing to not play to get hurt.

I get it.

:D

Every team has injuries. The good teams win regardless of who gets hurt when. Sure it would've sucked to lose Nate because of a preseason injury, but I don't think it was bad that he was in there. Obviously, every play of every game presents an injury risk. We don't know, maybe MM and JG had things they felt needed work and they decided to play the D for 5 or 6 series.

Returning punts is another matter though. That is exponentially more dangerous than playing your position. Especially in the 4th preseason game, when you have borderline guys trying to earn a job with their special teams play. A rookie knows that beating the blockers and knocking Nate Clements' helmet off with a booming hit might earn him a roster spot.

And yet, not one word of discussion about it from those stellar "commentators" Tasker and Levy.

432830[/snapback]

Would that be the stellar color commentary man (Marv) who commented just before the opening kickoff on who would receive the 2nd half kickoff.