Josh Reed....

EndZoneCrew

They guy has done nothing but regress on this team...he was a good college player and that is all he will ever be. .... The guy drops an average of one a game and a WR in the NFL cannot do that....the drop last game was the last straw...the guy sucks period and he should not be on this roster...period!

They guy has done nothing but regress on this team...he was a good college player and that is all he will ever be. .... The guy drops an average of one a game and a WR in the NFL cannot do that....the drop last game was the last straw...the guy sucks period and he should not be on this roster...period!

428791[/snapback]

He was a pretty decent Rook, too... :)

That said, he is supposedly the best blocker in our WR regiment. It may say more about how much we're going to run the ball....

That said, he is supposedly the best blocker in our WR regiment.  It may say more about how much we're going to run the ball....

428795[/snapback]

There goes Willis' HOF career. Another Eddie George who will take relentless pounding. ;)

428791[/snapback]

Reed is on the roster because he is the fourth best WR on this team and unfortunately if one watches the game of football one has to admit this.

#1 WR- Moulds does not seem to be developing the chemistry with JP Evans is, but he still is likely the best athlete on this team who can be productive both doing a fly route as his speed is pretty good and his athleticism makes up for his speed not being world class. Better yet, he does not fear catching in traffic or going over the middle.

#2- Evans is heir apparent to Moulds and already has world class speed and runs good routes as seen in his team leading TD #s last year. A season ending injury and his great speed makes coaches leery of sending him into traffic but if he develops this part of his game he will be one the best in the league.

#3- Parrish established himself as the #3 due to his world class speed and an early showing of fearlessness. He needs to prove his stuff in real games before he is truly thought of as good, but his great speed causes such difficulties for a DC who already must cover Evans and Moulds. If the D personel does not measure up to them with a blanket cover guy for Moulds and a speed guy for Evans they will be forced to play zone as Parrish will demand another speed guy whether he catches it or not.

#4- Reed's failings are real and explain completely why he never stepped up to be the #2 we wanted when Price left and his confidence was so rattled by his droppsies he even became questionable as a #3. However, he easily is the next best WR on this team and should be able to handle the #4 job as he:

A. Has improved on the blatant droppsies he had as a sophmore. He isn't adequate enough to even be a consistent #3 but that is not the job we have for him as we are looking for a #4. Does anyone one want to seriously say that his droppsies were as bad as they were when he was our #2? He has not solved the problem but he has improved enough to command the greatly diminished role of a #4.

B. On the plus side, he has never been afraid to sacrifice his body as he is a former RB who made a living over the middle back before the droppsies. This is reflected in him being an aggressive and according to the experts effective blocker as a WR. As we plan to run the ball on first down and then run it again this should not be ignored by anyone doing a serious assessment.

C. He is a vet who has worked in our O several years and runs the routes where he supposed to run them. Particularly since we hope to work against a lot of zones forced on opponents by the difficulty of covering both Moulds and Evans (and also Parrish when he gets back) the ability to run routes exactly as they are planned to be run is key. Running precise routes has never been his problem, dropping the ball after Bledsoe threw to the open Reed has been the problem.

D. Reed does have a clear role on the ST as the short kickoff guy or guy standing beside Mcgee giving him a critical block on his scampers. he also is a member of the hands-team covering onside kicks who again is unafraid to mix it up in the fight for the ball.

#5- Aiken is the the next receiver who never supplanted Reed as a go-to guy on longer receptions or with his route running. He plays a contributing role on this team as an ST coverage guy, but their simply are no objective signs that he is better than Reed as a blocker, route runner or in terms of producing big plays.

#6- Fast Freddy apparently impressed enough as a playmaker to make this team where he is the back-up PR guy who easily could be pressed into service if do not want to go with Clements as the PR guy (he did lay it on the carpet a few times and if he gets nicked at all but can play some PR will be the first thing to do in his responsibilities). He is a mercuric player though and running disciplined routes is not his specialty. He is correctly behind Reed on the depth chart at WR.

#7 Wilson I think is a big surprise to folks as nobody saw us keeping 7 WRs and those who relexively did not advocate cutting Reed had him destined for the PS at best. Perhaps he showed something to the coaches where he could relatively emerge as the #3 because of production. but he is an unknown and the idea of cutting Reed to keep him is no reality.

Reed likely had this job nailed at the start of camp and him leading the team in receptions in the last exhibition game merely iced his being a keeper.

The injury to Parrish will require him to produce like a #3 and one hopes that his reaction is based on him having done this job well before rather than the same lack of confidence which saw him fail to take the #2 job infects his ability to be #3 if only temporarily.

Why is he on the roster?

Because flat out until Parrish comes back from injury and proves he can actually do it on the field he is clearly the 4th best WR on the team, If you disagree I'd love to see the arguments laid out why you think Aiken is good enough for the job and not merely the whining about Reed's failure. I agree totally that Reed failed utterly when we pegged hin for the #2 WR job and that the droppsies which were a big part of this even raised the question whether he should be counted upon as pur consistent #3 WR.

However, in reality the question is whether he is capable of being our #4. The answer is almost certainly yes and in any case there is a better case to be made for him as #4 than the other WRs.

That said, he is supposedly the best blocker in our WR regiment.  It may say more about how much we're going to run the ball....

428795[/snapback]

Good Point. If they kept him here because of his ability to block then that might tell you something about our confidence to run to the outside.

It looks ike the real reason reed and aiken are still around is because they were drafted so high..can you say flops or busts.

428836[/snapback]

Either that or because they Block better, run better Routes, can get yards after the catch, and play better on special teams in the areas they actually will be used (ie. there's no way Haddad would have returned punts on this team in real games with the guys we have in front of him).

All the Wr's in camp at position #3 and down showed some dropsies in camp.

I have no problem with him on the roster...

but why do we have TWO white safeties on this team?

one a proven failure, the other a midget. :)

428798[/snapback]

Ya know I was wondering this last night too. Not the whole white thing, but a question about Leonard. I watched every preseason game this year. What did the kid do that was so spectacular? I really didn't see him make any huge plays or anything like that. So what gives?

Ya know I was wondering this last night too.  Not the whole white thing, but a question about Leonard.  I watched every preseason game this year.  What did the kid do that was so spectacular?  I really didn't see him make any huge plays or anything like that.  So what gives?

429053[/snapback]

Could be the Rudy factor... this year's feel-good story, TD's bone to the fans.

doesn't Eric Moulds drop at least one pass per game, admittedly not usually critical?

429071[/snapback]

I would not go that far, but Reed drops routine balls in crucial times that go off his chest! I dont see Moulds drop many that are "right there" like Reed does!

A. Has improved on the blatant droppsies he had as a sophmore. He isn't adequate enough to even be a consistent #3 but that is not the job we have for him as we are looking for a #4.  Does anyone one want to seriously say that his droppsies were as bad as they were when he was our #2?

428819[/snapback]

Reed's hands are as bad or worse than they were 2 years ago when he was starting. I'm not sure how you can say they've improved, he dropped at least one pass in each preseason game. His problems actually appear to be snowballing. No excuses about poorly thrown balls either. Where's the improvement?