3 Defensive Ends??

Rubes

I just can't figure this one out.

Anyone?

428581[/snapback]

Ritzmann and/or Gause will be on the PS and available if one of them goes down. Bannan can play DE. I think they wanted to keep the extra WR until Roscoe is back. Then one WR will go and whichever DE is on the practice squad will join the 53.

Ritzmann and/or Gause will be on the PS and available if one of them goes down. Bannan can play DE. I think they wanted to keep the extra WR until Roscoe is back. Then one WR will go and whichever DE is on the practice squad will join the 53.

428589[/snapback]

Good point, I guess. Hope those guys will still be available.

I just can't figure this one out.

Anyone?

428581[/snapback]

I haven't figured out what our depth chart should really be set-up but one thing I am pretty sure of is that the traditional 4-3 (and even more so the 3-4) roles do not apply.

The keeping only 3 DEs is not exotic for us at all as once Ritzmann was IR'ed early last season we went with 3 DEs and no back-up for Schobel on the depth chart.

In the Bills scheme, the position traditionally labled RDE is called upon to do some pretty serious pass coverage in addition to the traditional blitz and run stopping role. Schobel has shown great athleticism to make the Bills comfortable with him in all three roles (strenght at the POA and run stopping are the weakest parts of his game.

Denney has proved to be far more athletic than one would expect a big guy to be or that he showed as a rookie where problems with how he bent his knees and used his body when locked up by a blocker initially made him unusable as a player since he had such poor leverage he was easily thrown aside until he learned how to handle his body,

The LDE role is less for pass coverage and more for the traditional pass rush and Kelsay is beginning to excel in this role. However, this role is backed or augmented by our SOLB lining up outside of the LDE.

Posey does this a lot though he is as likely to drop back in pass coverage and even when he stays in it is for run stopping primarily rather than blitzing. Posey's role is often back-up by Denney and Haggan has played this role in pre-season a lot as well,

Figuring this out means dropping the traditional depth chart notions.

Good point, I guess. Hope those guys will still be available.

428593[/snapback]

If Ritzmann and Gause are both gone,

do you really think it will be hard to find another DE of comparable talent?

Other than already knowing the system, I see no benefit into bringing either of them back.

The LDE role is less for pass coverage and more for the traditional pass rush and Kelsay is beginning to excel in this role. However, this role is backed or augmented by our SOLB lining up outside of the LDE.

Posey does this a lot though he is as likely to drop back in pass coverage and even when he stays in it is for run stopping primarily rather than blitzing. Posey's role is often back-up by Denney and Haggan has played this role in pre-season a lot as well,

Figuring this out means dropping the traditional depth chart notions.

428782[/snapback]

I completely agree, FFS. From my counts, when Posey lines up outside LDE, we almost always rush five (and rarely 6 or 4). Posey drops back into coverage after a half second (causing the O-Line to have to commit to blocking him) on approximately half the plays. When he rushes, it is usually wide so Kelsay can collapse the pocket with abandon, while Posey takes accountability for containing runs to the outside.