Bush blew a great opportunity to be a true leader

Yesterday, President Bush spoke to the nation and asked citizens to contribute what they could to help the hurricane victims.

He had an opportunity to show leadership and greatness but was oblivious to the situation.

Imagine today's headlines if he had ended his statement with "Laura and I have pledged $xxxxxxx as private citizens to show our support for these people in their greatest time of need". Instead, he asks others to give but does nothing as a private citizen to show others that he, the leader of the free world, knows what it means to lead by example.

Maybe his father or Clinton will B word slap him when they meet to coordinate the call for funds and he'll announce a major contribution. But the reality was he had a real opportunity to step up to the plate & he stayed in the dugout.

Any President with the money Bush has should have known better. Heck, Jim Rome announced he's donating $25,000 at the beginning of his show today.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These posts are so tiresome, it's not even funny.

How do you KNOW he hasn't contributed anything?

425571[/snapback]

It's not about the money that he may or may not have donated. It's about a consistant lack of standing up and leading this nation. Despite countless chances during his presidency he has never stood up and rallied the nation and sent us in a common direction and saw something through to completion.

You mean blew a great opportunity to be a true leader AGAIN.  That's the story of his administration.

425557[/snapback]

Loved it when Clinton didn't show up after the 1st Trade Center bombing. Loved it when Clinton didn't visit the Oklahoma City bombing site. Loved it when Clinton refused to speak with the loved ones of those killed in Waco. Loved it when the always-talkative Bill was mum about Elian Gonzales, except for "I've tried to do everything I can to stay out of it,'' he said in Washington, where he spoke before the American Society of Newspaper Editors.".

Short memory? Oh yeah, I forgot..Government by focus group...don't want to hurt that popularity, eh?

Yesterday, President Bush spoke to the nation and asked citizens to contribute what they could to help the hurricane victims.

He had an opportunity to show leadership and greatness but was oblivious to the situation.

Imagine today's headlines if he had ended his statement with "Laura and I have pledged $xxxxxxx as private citizens to show our support for these people in their greatest time of need".  Instead, he asks others to give but does nothing as a private citizen to show others that he, the leader of the free world, knows what it means to lead by example.

Maybe his father or Clinton will B word slap him when they meet to coordinate the call for funds and he'll announce a major contribution.  But the reality was he had a real opportunity to step up to the plate & he stayed in the dugout. 

Any President with the money Bush has should have known better.  Heck, Jim Rome announced he's donating $25,000 at the beginning of his show today.

425553[/snapback]

Can the President do ANYTHING as a private citizen? My impression was always that whoever holds the office can't so much as cut a check to the Red Cross, but has to staff it out...

Imagine today's headlines if he had ended his statement with "Laura and I have pledged $xxxxxxx as private citizens to show our support for these people in their greatest time of need".  Instead, he asks others to give but does nothing as a private citizen to show others that he, the leader of the free world, knows what it means to lead by example.

Maybe his father or Clinton will B word slap him when they meet to coordinate the call for funds and he'll announce a major contribution.  But the reality was he had a real opportunity to step up to the plate & he stayed in the dugout. 

Any President with the money Bush has should have known better.  Heck, Jim Rome announced he's donating $25,000 at the beginning of his show today.

425553[/snapback]

I just found some dead weight to fill in the gaps in the levies.

Tell the Air Force to stop in Albany to pick it up.

425553[/snapback]

What is it like being this retarded?

Loved it when Clinton didn't show up after the 1st Trade Center bombing. Loved it when Clinton didn't visit the Oklahoma City bombing site.  Loved it when Clinton refused to speak with the loved ones of those killed in Waco. Loved it when the always-talkative Bill was mum about Elian Gonzales, except for "I've tried to do everything I can to stay out of it,'' he said in Washington, where he spoke before the American Society of Newspaper Editors.".

Short memory? Oh yeah, I forgot..Government by focus group...don't want to hurt that popularity, eh?

425584[/snapback]

Why is it that whenever anyone criticizes Bush his supporters bring up Clinton? Keep fighting this tired fight it's really productive. The elite of this country are laughing at you because you are so easy to manipulate.

Why is it that whenever anyone criticizes Bush his supporters bring up Clinton?  Keep fighting this tired fight it's really productive.  The elite of this country are laughing at you because you are so easy to manipulate.

425641[/snapback]

Ah, now we know what you are all about. Will you be spending the winter season between Monte Carlo and St.Moritz, and a jet to the Caymans just for a lark?

The day before New Orleans went all to sh--? 

Face it, the guy is just not prescient:blink:

425736[/snapback]

The day the storm hit. You'd think the best place for him would be somewhere planning relief efforts. But he's asleep at the switch and instead is cutting a cake for his lapdog McCain.

Ah, now we know what you are all about. Will you be spending the winter season between Monte Carlo and St.Moritz, and a jet to the Caymans just for a lark?

425718[/snapback]

I don't know why I bother trying to explain things like this to you. I'm not counting myself AMONG the elites. I'm saying that they heap scorn on you for the ease with which they can get you to focus on petty concerns such as partisan politics while they continue to loot our country. Think of that the next time you're filling up.

The day the storm hit.  You'd think the best place for him would be somewhere planning relief efforts.  But he's asleep at the switch and instead is cutting a cake for his lapdog McCain.

425758[/snapback]

When's the last time a president dropped everything to plan relief efforts?

And note I didn't say "the day before the storm hit." I said "the day before New Orleans went to sh--". Important distinction...New Orleans didn't die until a while after the storm passed. You're really complaining that, on the day of a weather event, the president kept to his schedule just like every other president in history did in the same situation. :blink:

When's the last time a president dropped everything to plan relief efforts? 

And note I didn't say "the day before the storm hit."  I said "the day before New Orleans went to sh--".  Important distinction...New Orleans didn't die until a while after the storm passed.  You're really complaining that, on the day of a weather event, the president kept to his schedule just like every other president in history did in the same situation.  :blink:

425768[/snapback]

You have to take into account that even if you take New Orleans out of the equation this would still be the worst natural disaster in the hisory of the United States. People seem to think it is all about NO but that is where the coverage is focused. There are towns in Mississippi that are just gone.

Lots of insults, but nothing addressing the point from the zombies.

This is not about politics or policies, it's about whether the president understands a great PR opportunity & seizes the moment, energizing the American public. It doesn't matter who or what party the president is. In the same vein, there should be (the rich) senators & congresspeople doing their best to both contribute & let the public know they have.

I don't know whether he contributed anything or not, that's not the point. The point is a leader contributes & announces it to get the public excited about it.