How Bush gutted FEMA's mitigation programs

Dr. K

Playing my Dr. Evil role, why should the federal government (ie all US tax-payers') pay for the major portion of states' disaster prevention efforts? 

I see FEMA's role as largely coming in to do whatever is necessary in the aftermath of natural disasters, when widescale help is really needed.  But in the mitigation stage, why should NY pay for propping up NC, when NC has been very successful in taking a lot of people & revenue from NY?  NC could raise its taxes to enact its own mitigation plan, given the population explosion in the last generation. 

Of course, that would lessen its advantage over high tax states like NY, so it's easier to complain that the federal government isn't doing its job.

426381[/snapback]

Why was everyone expecting the Federal government to do everything to make sure NO would be safe in this event? Shouldn't the people that actually have to live there (and, in a catastrophic event, die there) have taken the initiative on their own instead of relying on people who live far away??

The Feds should be responsible for coordinating aid after the fact, because that requires moving people and supplies across states. Having NO prepared so that levies aren't breaking due to the storm should have been the responsibility of the leaders of NO.

Why was everyone expecting the Federal government to do everything to make sure NO would be safe in this event?  Shouldn't the people that actually have to live there (and, in a catastrophic event, die there) have taken the initiative on their own instead of relying on people who live far away??

The Feds should be responsible for coordinating aid after the fact, because that requires moving people and supplies across states.  Having NO prepared so that levies aren't breaking due to the storm should have been the responsibility of the leaders of NO.

426386[/snapback]

No... Because the feds kept dredging deeper.

You know the Corps really, really loves to dredge. Project depth 25'... Now we need 30'... Soon they want 40'.

Why couldn't they just leave it alone?

They broke it... Now they protect it.

Just because they are the ones you hear doesn't mean the whole lot of them think that way, though there are some in this forum who will tell you differently.

425733[/snapback]

Judging by the candidates we're given to vote for at the national level, I'd say the difference between the grassroots and the leadership is measurable (understatement of the day).

Both your parties suck. Hard. The fact that people continue to toss blame at one for sucking while absolving their own is the reason they move forward unabated.

Someday people will figure this out. I just hope we aren't speaking Chinese.

Judging by the candidates we're given to vote for at the national level, I'd say the difference between the grassroots and the leadership is measurable (understatement of the day).

Both your parties suck.  Hard.  The fact that people continue to toss blame at one for sucking while absolving their own is the reason they move forward unabated.

Someday people will figure this out.  I just hope we aren't speaking Chinese.

426453[/snapback]

Racist!