Katrina: moral dilemma for Tallahassee hotels

Ramius

This is rather interesting. This monday night, is the FSU-UM game here in Tallahassee. By far the biggest game of the year, as there are a ton of people going to the game, meaning a ton of people in town, etc. So hotels have been booked solid for this weekend for a long time, as people get tix early and make plans early.

Now the problem is that there are a lot of Katrina refugees being put up in the hotels here. Now i just heard on the radio that a lot of hotels arent sure what to do for this weekend? Do they...

A. Kick the refugees out to make room for all of the paying customers going to the FSU-UM game, or

B. Tell everyone thats booked and paid they need to find other accomodations

The fact that many hotels arent sure what to do kinda makes me sick. How do you kick someone, who had their home trashed, out of a place to stay just to make room for someone that wants to go to a football game?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if there were "other accomidations" im sure they could put the "refugees" there. but there might not be any.

i would try to find another place for them. if a hotel has accepted money for a room, they should try there best to accomidate the guy who paid.

most people understand the situation. and wont freak out if a guy whoes house just floated away needs a place to live. if no other place can be found for the refugees, than the hotel has to refund the money.

so:

a) try to find a new place for the refugees.

b) if they cant, refund the money, and say.. sorry, didnt you watch CNN???

im sure that a neighboring city or whatever has hotels with space for them.

im sure some people will get screwed. but most will be fine.

OK, let's put the displaced people into "camps". Where in the world do you think you can find the location, supplies, manpower, and have utilities installed before Monday? And today is Tuesday. Brilliant!!

I would certainly hope that the out of town football fans would have a bit of civility and try to find other accomodations.

OK, let's put the displaced people into "camps".  Where in the world do you think you can find the location, supplies, manpower, and have utilities installed before Monday?  And today is Tuesday.  Brilliant!!

I would certainly hope that the out of town football fans would have a bit of civility and try to find other accomodations.

422975[/snapback]

That's the point. There are none. I think the only logical conclusion to this is the game should be cancelled.

422975[/snapback]

So what should the people who fly/drive down there to see the game do? Should they be the homeless ones?

It's a tough situation, but the people from out of town are just as homeless as those who fled the hurricane.

CW

So what should the people who fly/drive down there to see the game do?  Should they be the homeless ones?

It's a tough situation, but the people from out of town are just as homeless as those who fled the hurricane.

CW

423026[/snapback]

That is why I am suggesting that the schools think about postponing the game to a later date. And, if they don't, that the people coming in from out of town have some civility and re-look at accomodations. Or, going at all.

Think about if it was you in that hotel room with no house.

That is why I am suggesting that the schools think about postponing the game to a later date.  And, if they don't, that the people coming in from out of town have some civility and re-look at accomodations. Or, going at all.

Think about if it was you in that hotel room with no house.

423032[/snapback]

So will I get a refund on my airline tickets? Car rental? Hotel room? Football tickets?

Not trying to be an ass, but vacations cost a LOT of money, so why should someone who had a trip planned be left holding the bag?

The simple answer is, "Of course you let the homeless stay in the hotel," but there's more than just hotel rooms involved in this instance.

CW

This is a simple answer B. The game will be on TV. Those people need to stay home (since they have one). There are a lot of paying customers that lost their homes in Mississippi and Louisiana (including some of my family members). Look at www. wwltv.com. They are telling people that they can come back to NO in one week and then leave for a month.

So will I get a refund on my airline tickets?  Car rental?  Hotel room?  Football tickets?

Not trying to be an ass, but vacations cost a LOT of money, so why should someone who had a trip planned be left holding the bag?

The simple answer is, "Of course you let the homeless stay in the hotel," but there's more than just hotel rooms involved in this instance.

CW

423057[/snapback]

I would hope that these entities would take this in mind. It was pointed out on the Today Show that this event is being taken into consideration with air, car, and hotel. Can't say about game tickets.

I would hope that these entities would take this in mind.  It was pointed out on the Today Show that this event is being taken into consideration with air, car, and hotel.  Can't say about game tickets.

423062[/snapback]

If all of the entities are willing to refund the money, then I'm all for the vacationers staying home (go somewhere else? Re-schedule?) and letting the homeless stay in the hotel.

CW

Whatever the moral implications, money usually talks. As far as people being understanding, this is America. For every person who is, there is another indignant bastard who will sue the hotel. We have a lot of very giving people in this country, we also have some of the most selfish I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of the world.

Whatever the moral implications, money usually talks. As far as people being understanding, this is America. For every person who is, there is another indignant bastard who will sue the hotel. We have a lot of very giving people in this country, we also have some of the most selfish I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of the world.

423154[/snapback]

I'm CERTAIN there will be lawsuits against the City, the owners of the Superdome etc., for bad backs, emotional stress, phony food poisoning from the free provisions, you name it. :rolleyes:

I'm CERTAIN there wild be lawsuits against the City, the owners of the Superdome etc., for bad backs, emotional stress, phony free food poisining, you name it. :rolleyes:

423170[/snapback]

I bet the city attorneys are sicker than the mayor right about now. I think 'Act of God" can cover a lot, but they still have to respond to the suits.

I bet the city attorneys are sicker than the mayor right about now. I think 'Act of God" can cover a lot, but they still have to respond to the suits.

423174[/snapback]

Gosh yes. I can hear the complaint now.,..Mr. Mayor only urged my client 4 days ago to leave town...I know he had knowledge my client did not have, and should have sent the police to forcibly remove my client". And if nothing happened. "Mr. Mayor committed an egregious attack on my client's civil rights by forcing him to leave his domicile, and also he did so expressly because my client is an afro-american!."

That said client was apprehended for looting will be brushed aside... :rolleyes:

If we do not play football, then the hurricane will have won, and it will only inspire more hurricanes in the future.

I recall a similar issue in the recount election when gov't officials and TONS of media were in Tallahasse to cover the vote debacle in Florida. Same thing, they were holed up in every hotel room in town when a big game was upcoming (may have also been Miami @ Fla St, I can't remember.) Anyways, they booted out all of the gov't and media because people had reservations.

I think they have to honor those reservations and boot those who recently arrived. Yep it sucks, but it is a 1-2 night problem.