pats released their two 4th rounders

nodnarb

it's surprising, considering everyone thinks the pats can do no wrong in their scouting and drafting. they let go of s dexter reid and rb cedric cobbs, and unless they're badly injured i'd be shocked if they didn't get picked up. I thought cobbs had a 3rd round grade during the draft, didn't he?

maybe hollywood don can enlighten us about the suck factor in these guys, and maybe Belicick/Pioli's newfound draft fallibility?

it's surprising, considering everyone thinks the pats can do no wrong in their scouting and drafting. they let go of s dexter reid and rb cedric cobbs, and unless they're badly injured i'd be shocked if they didn't get picked up. I thought cobbs had a 3rd round grade during the draft, didn't he?

maybe hollywood don can enlighten us about the suck factor in these guys, and maybe Belicick/Pioli's newfound draft fallibility?

421833[/snapback]

Maybe when they blow a draft they are not afraid to admit it.

This is hardly new. Everyone after Seymour and Light in '01 were massive busts. Belichick/Pioli can and do make mistakes, both in the draft and in free agency/trades.

Cobbs started last year on PUP and showed nothing after he came off it. This preseason, he has been bested on the field by both Kory Chapman and Kyle Eckel.

Reid was a decent ST guy last year, but sucked out loud filling in for the injured Wilson at FS in the Super Bowl. The secondary is so deep this year (mainly at corner, which features 5 starter-quality guys and a rookie with huge potential and the ability to help in the return game right away) that he hardly had a shot.

Missing on a couple 4th rounders is nothing earth-shattering. It's just a numbers game, too many quality players above them on the depth chart.

This is hardly new.  Everyone after Seymour and Light in '01 were massive busts.  Belichick/Pioli can and do make mistakes, both in the draft and in free agency/trades.

Cobbs started last year on PUP and showed nothing after he came off it.  This preseason, he has been bested on the field by both Kory Chapman and Kyle Eckel.

Reid was a decent ST guy last year, but sucked out loud filling in for the injured Wilson at FS in the Super Bowl.  The secondary is so deep this year (mainly at corner, which features 5 starter-quality guys and a rookie with huge potential and the ability to help in the return game right away) that he hardly had a shot.

Missing on a couple 4th rounders is nothing earth-shattering.  It's just a numbers game, too many quality players above them on the depth chart.

421892[/snapback]

My belief in Team Perfect is shattered! Does that mean Belichick and Pioli also go to the toilet like mere mortals do?

PTR

PTR

This is hardly new.  Everyone after Seymour and Light in '01 were massive busts.  Belichick/Pioli can and do make mistakes, both in the draft and in free agency/trades.

Cobbs started last year on PUP and showed nothing after he came off it.  This preseason, he has been bested on the field by both Kory Chapman and Kyle Eckel.

Reid was a decent ST guy last year, but sucked out loud filling in for the injured Wilson at FS in the Super Bowl.  The secondary is so deep this year (mainly at corner, which features 5 starter-quality guys and a rookie with huge potential and the ability to help in the return game right away) that he hardly had a shot.

Missing on a couple 4th rounders is nothing earth-shattering.  It's just a numbers game, too many quality players above them on the depth chart.

421892[/snapback]

I'm a bit surprised about Cobbs getting the axe...I thought he was a pretty fair "project" choice.

But as you say, if others show better, that's that.

I'm a bit surprised about Cobbs getting the axe...I thought he was a pretty fair "project" choice.

So did I. Unfortunately, he didn't see enough of the field, and he didn't do enough when he was on it.

But as you say, if others show better, that's that.

Compounding the problem for guys like Cobbs is that the Pats have great depth at a few positions (CB, WR, LB), and in order to keep more players from those positions, they'll have to go lighter on some other, like RB. I imagine the Pats will only carry 4 this year (Dillon, Faulk, Pass, and one of Chapman/Eckel) as opposed to the more traditional 5.

I imagine the Pats will only carry 4 this year (Dillon, Faulk, Pass, and one of Chapman/Eckel) as opposed to the more traditional 5.

421943[/snapback]

That's likely. Pass is a fine player, and through years of watching Dillon, his style of running isn't conducive to injury exposure. The kneecap problem seems resolved, and the '03 groin situation hasn't re-occured.

421833[/snapback]

If they do get picked up (as you expect them to) and make other squads, then what you're saying is clearly a testament to how well Pioli and Belichick draft and evaluate players and not a criticism. It's saying (generally) that guys 72, 73, and 74 on their roster are good enough to be in the top 53 on a different team.

An optimist might look at today's decision and say that the three guys the Pats cut were good enough to make the team last year when it won a Super Bowl, and not good enough this year to even make it to the final cut, so this year's team must be pretty damn good.

My belief in Team Perfect is shattered!  Does that mean Belichick and Pioli also go to the toilet like mere mortals do?

421904[/snapback]

Nope, they use the seashell thingy from "Demolition Man." :D

(They never explained how that worked, did they? Stallone just sh-- in the corner.)