A couple observations on Bears game

nemhoff

I am certainly not as skilled as others on this board in terms of analyzing a game, and actually read this board daily for thoughts from locals. So take it easy here. Also, from a person who once lived in Orchard Park and now in Oregon, I am not able to share these with the classic wings of Buffalo and LabbatyBlue filter on (By the way, Oregon wings suck!). My last disclaimer is to apologize if some of these observations have already been posted. I am in the midst of watching the game now.

1. Mcgee is playing well but still allows quite a bit of separation and does not blanket the wideout a la Clements. Our big pass plays allowed could come from his cover this year.

2. I wouldn't mind having Kyle Orton on our team, anybody see him tear apart the Syracuse Orange last year.

3. Shelton had a pretty lame game, I am not a great blocking analyzer, but it seemed that he could not hold the Bears 1st string linebackers. A couple of Willis' losses or no gains were the result of Shelton not blocking well. And he totally muffed that pass from Losman in the first.

4. I thought JP looked OK and although it was a good defensive first half, at least he put us in the lead and made mostly good decisions. I am still waiting for him to throw down the field (where is this cannon arm?). I loved seeing him send that pass to Freddie at the end of the half, that was a great pass and would love to see more.

5. I don't think Lindell suck, or that he is great. He is just simply unreliable! He is a liability. The most frustrating thing about him kicking is that he is so unreliable that we just can't count on him, especially under a little bit of pressure. He 's an average college kicker and no more.

6. To agree with others here, I thought Willis looked super pedestrian in the first half of the game. I hope that he was saving up for the regular season.

7. Watching our D is so much more fun that watching the O.

OK, so nothing ground breaking, but I thought I would give it a shot.

I am certainly not as skilled as others on this board in terms of analyzing a game, and actually read this board daily for thoughts from locals.  So take it easy here. 

3.  Shelton had a pretty lame game, I am not a great blocking analyzer, but it seemed that he could not hold the Bears 1st string linebackers.  A couple of Willis' losses or no gains were the result of Shelton not blocking well.  And he totally muffed that pass from Losman in the first.

6.  To agree with others here, I thought Willis looked super pedestrian in the first half of the game.  I hope that he was saving up for the regular season.

420747[/snapback]

Well, at least to me, a poster's sincerity is more important than pure football analysis skills. Some of our folks are a bit more anal about it...

I was disappointed in Shelton too. He was a good FB last year. Was the Bears defense actually that good that they made Shelton and Willis look mediocre?

Willis looked slow, I agree. Maybe the Bills were just testing out some run game things.

Orton does look awfully good. Hutchinson seemed to have a 50-50 mix of the Todd Collins "deer in the headlights" look mixed with the Drew Bledsoe emotionless look.

yo, im in oregon as well. theres a bills backers club here in portland, and im going to start going this year.  glad to hear therre are otehrs as well

420985[/snapback]

Yeah, you bet, good group of people. Bring your kids if you got 'em

Jax Bar and Restaraunt

826 SW 2nd Ave.

Downtown Portland

http://www.pdxbb.com

I agree with most of this. but i would trade Lindel for a bag of pucks.

I am certainly not as skilled as others on this board in terms of analyzing a game, and actually read this board daily for thoughts from locals.  So take it easy here.  Also, from a person who once lived in Orchard Park and now in Oregon, I am not able to share these with the classic wings of Buffalo and LabbatyBlue filter on (By the way, Oregon wings suck!).  My last disclaimer is to apologize if some of these observations have already been posted.  I am in the midst of watching the game now.

1.  Mcgee is playing well but still allows quite a bit of separation and does not blanket the wideout  a la Clements.  Our big pass plays allowed could come from his cover this year.

2.  I wouldn't mind having Kyle Orton on our team, anybody see him tear apart the Syracuse Orange last year.

3.  Shelton had a pretty lame game, I am not a great blocking analyzer, but it seemed that he could not hold the Bears 1st string linebackers.  A couple of Willis' losses or no gains were the result of Shelton not blocking well.  And he totally muffed that pass from Losman in the first.

4.  I thought JP looked OK and although it was a good defensive first half, at least he put us in the lead and made mostly good decisions.  I am still waiting for him to throw down the field (where is this cannon arm?).  I loved seeing him send that pass to Freddie at the end of the half, that was a great pass and would love to see more.

5.  I don't think Lindell suck, or that he is great.  He is just simply unreliable!  He is a liability.  The most frustrating thing about him kicking is that he is so unreliable that we just can't count on him, especially under a little bit of pressure.  He 's an average college kicker and no more.

6.  To agree with others here, I thought Willis looked super pedestrian in the first half of the game.  I hope that he was saving up for the regular season.

7.  Watching our D is so much more fun that watching the O.

OK, so nothing ground breaking, but I thought I would give it a shot.

420747[/snapback]

2.  I wouldn't mind having Kyle Orton on our team, anybody see him tear apart the Syracuse Orange last year.

420747[/snapback]

Yes. 51-0. And then I watched him crumble in the Wisconsin game and have a mediocre season the rest of the way. He was actually pulled last year and Brandon Kirsch was put in. They said Orton had a "hip flexor" injury. Whatever...Tiller got tired of his weaksauce play. He eventually become the starter again. Orton was also benched either his junior or sophomore year too. When things are good he's good. When things go downhill, so does he. And yes, I'm a Purdue alum.

Well, at least to me, a poster's sincerity is more important than pure football analysis skills. Some of our folks are a  bit more anal about it...

I was disappointed in Shelton too. He was a good FB last year. Was the Bears defense actually that good that they made Shelton and Willis look mediocre?

Willis looked slow, I agree. Maybe the Bills were just testing out some run game things.

Orton does look awfully good. Hutchinson seemed to have a 50-50 mix of the Todd Collins "deer in the headlights" look mixed with the Drew Bledsoe emotionless look.

420769[/snapback]

OTOH, Shelton laid 2 key blocks on JP's TD run against the Packers the week before. We just need that to happen all the time.