Thoughts on the game

nodnarb

It was just a preseason game. I know that. However, the goal of these games, particularly for the '05 Bills, is to let JP get in a rhythm and give him some confidence. I didn't like the conservative playcalling, but the execution was worse.

*This was the ugliest offensive football game I've seen in YEARS*

JP: I thought he was supposed to be accurate on the run. He looked better LAST preseason. I just don't see the progress I expected to see. He seems to give up too easily on plays, a la Flutie, and has revealed his favorite tendency already: roll right and hope to get a 20 yard out.

I hope they're trying to show their real opponents something and will come out with somthing ELSE. Otherwise, we're in for some ruff days offensively.

He overreacts to pressure and makes TERRIBLE decisions when under pressure from multiple angles. He tries to keep the play alive to the point of absurdity. I believe Wyche is doing his job well, but JP has disappointed thus far.

Yes, it's only preseason. BUt if you think they're not trying to succeed, you're wrong. THey're trying and failing. JP does not look good to these eyes. He does not look poised. But it's only preseason, and I"m not going to get negative until we see Game 1.

Wire: Good athelete, lousy football player. His one solo tackle was the first play I've seen him make in a long time. He's usuallly half a second late to every play. He deserves the knickname "pile on". Cut him.

Lindell: As much as the coaches have given him good press for his 'great offseason', I still don't trust him as far as I can kick him, which isn't very far.

I don't see ANY receivers making any plays, but then again, I don't see Losman making many throws.

Kyle Orton outplayed ever other QB on the field. I don't care that it came against our 2nd stringers. He looked in control, poised, and confident. He got the job done.

None of our QBs got the job done, least of all JP. Do I sound negative? Very well then I sound negative. They should be farther along by now. It was sloppy, horrid, and difficult to watch. It made the Greggg Williams years look like the Glory Days.

I'm glad we lost this game because I think the team needed a wake up call. They're not as good as they think they are, yet they CAN be.

Coaches: The Bears run blitzed all night and they didn't call ONE SINGLE play to throw it over their heads. I'm concerned about one thing: Mularkey doesn't seem to want to try to throw long. He seems to think that we can win by running at 2 yards per clip and trying to convert 3rd and fives with a rollout.

It's only preseason, yes. But I'm not impressed. I hope to see something ELSE next Friday.

Coaches: The Bears run blitzed all night and they didn't call ONE SINGLE play to throw it over their heads. I'm concerned about one thing: Mularkey doesn't seem to want to try to throw long. He seems to think that we can win by running at 2 yards per clip and trying to convert 3rd and fives with a rollout.

Mularkey and co. aren't stupid. Doesn't the LACK of adjustments seem rather odd/convenient to you?

1. why are you using this game to define Losman's progress?

2. who said Mularkey was calling plays to win this game?

Just because the players are exerting effort doesn't mean the coaches are choosing to call the game as they would in the regular season.

He gives up to easily on plays, a la Flutie, and has revealed his favorite tendency already: roll right and hope to get a 20 yard out.

He overreacts to pressure and makes TERRIBLE decisions when under pressure from multiple angles. He tries to keep the play alive to the point of absurdity. I believe Wyche is doing his job well, but JP has disappointed thus far.

420103[/snapback]

Have to agree on the patience (or lack thereof) part. He's not trusting his teammates or the playcall enough. He needs to watch how the old vets Holcomb and Matthews keep their cool under fire. I did like the few down-the-seam throws he made at the end of the half, however.

420103[/snapback]

MM and TC are obviously looking at not giving Houston much film on the downfield passing game this preseason. The routes tonight looked like they were drawn up on an etch-a-sketch on the sidelines.

They may also have been testing Gandy and Anderson with how they handle obvious 8-man fronts. You're right, it would have been cake to use some TE patterns to back off the safeties and open up the run game, but they didn't seem that interested in going for the win.

1.  why are you using this game to define Losman's progress?

2.  who said Mularkey was calling plays to win this game? 

Just because the players are exerting effort doesn't mean the coaches are choosing to call the game as they would in the regular season.

420113[/snapback]

So Mularkey was trying to lose tonight?

1.  why are you using this game to define Losman's progress?

2.  who said Mularkey was calling plays to win this game? 

420113[/snapback]

1. I'm not using THIS game to define his progress. I'm using the scrimmage, the packers game, the colts game, and this game. He's not as far along as I expected based on the commentary from the coaching staff. I don't believe they're 'keeping his real talent under wraps' or any such BS. They wanted to give him a sense of rhythm and either they or he but most likely both, failed. Again.

2. He did. But I'm not saying they're calling it like they would in a regular season game. It's not about that. It's about this: They wanted to succeed. They didn't. On any level other than defense. For the third straight game, our O looks no better than a Chad Hutchinson-led offense.

Hey, I think the kid can be great. But I think he's stubborn and that characteristic could get in the way of his ability to maximize his talent. I trust that the coaches see this.

I thought losman had a good first quarter. There were also a few nice plays that were called back due to BS penalties (WR stepping OB? BS!) and haddad being out of bounds. He didn't play too bad in the 2nd, either. That pass to Moulds was nice.

Urlacher is a friggin beast, tho.

MM and TC are obviously looking at not giving Houston much film on the downfield passing game this preseason.  The routes tonight looked like they were drawn up on an etch-a-sketch on the sidelines. 

420114[/snapback]

I wouldn't forget that MM has said in the past that he thinks they only need 2 preseason games. Game-planning, etc. I think will be OK and a lot more interesting/surprising in September. That said, I'd also put stock in his disappointment in last night's performance.