"March of the Penguins"

In a movie season filled with remakes, wedding crashers, and middle-aged virgins, the Penguins will delight you.

And no, it's not about Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh hockey team's quest for the playoff's next March. :devil:

"March of the Penguins" was filmed by a French (I know...shocking, isn't it?) film crew that spent a whole year in Antarctica filming the mating habits of the emperor penguin. 120 hours of film was cut down to 85 minutes.

Two things I noticed at the end of the movie:

1) Only about 3 people left during the credits (about 60 in the theater when my wife and I saw it).

2) When the credits ended, everyone filed out quietly. No one said a word. One of the strangest things I've ever seen.

My wife, the lovely and talented Kimberly, could not stop talking about how fascinated she was by a world which 99.9% of the population will never see.

Narrated by Morgan Freeman (who is perfect for voiceover here), the movie will be funny, fascinating, and bring a tear to your eye.

See it on the big screen...this is one of the few movies where I wouldn't wait for the DVD. It's the surprise hit of the summer.

Mike

Will kids like this movie? say 6-7 years old?

416164[/snapback]

I think so...I went to a late showing, so I didn't see any young kids.

It is rated G. There are some nature scenes that kids might find scary or sad, but no more than a "National Geographic" documentary.

I hope that doesn't warrant a "spoiler alert". :devil:

Mike

On the other hand, it was the WORST movie I've ever seen. Had they made it a documentary about penguins it might have been good. Instead, they spent two hours pretending penguins are nothing more than little people dressed in penguin suits and insulting my intelligence. That movie was so insipid that when it ended I was honestly disappointed that more of the little !@#$ers didn't freeze to death.

Just my contrary opinion. And I actually liked penguins before I saw that movie. :devil:

On the other hand, it was the WORST movie I've ever seen.  Had they made it a documentary about penguins it might have been good.  Instead, they spent two hours pretending penguins are nothing more than little people dressed in penguin suits and insulting my intelligence.  That movie was so insipid that when it ended I was honestly disappointed that more of the little !@#$ers didn't freeze to death.

Just my contrary opinion.  And I actually liked penguins before I saw that movie.  :blush:

416190[/snapback]

Said the tragically intelligent water fowl expert... :devil:

In a movie season filled with remakes, wedding crashers, and middle-aged virgins, the Penguins will delight you.

And no, it's not about Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh hockey team's quest for the playoff's next March.  :blush:

"March of the Penguins" was filmed by a French (I know...shocking, isn't it?) film crew that spent a whole year in Antarctica filming the mating habits of the emperor penguin.  120 hours of film was cut down to 85 minutes.

Two things I noticed at the end of the movie:

1)  Only about 3 people left during the credits (about 60 in the theater when my wife and I saw it).

2)  When the credits ended, everyone filed out quietly.  No one said a word.  One of the strangest things I've ever seen.

My wife, the lovely and talented Kimberly, could not stop talking about how fascinated she was by a world which 99.9% of the population will never see.

Narrated by Morgan Freeman (who is perfect for voiceover here), the movie will be funny, fascinating, and bring a tear to your eye.

See it on the big screen...this is one of the few movies where I wouldn't wait for the DVD.  It's the surprise hit of the summer.

Mike

416162[/snapback]

This post makes me embarrassed to be from Ohio. What's worse, Navy crying over Hulk Hogan or Buckeye Mike crying over a Penguin movie? :devil:

On the other hand, it was the WORST movie I've ever seen.  Had they made it a documentary about penguins it might have been good.  Instead, they spent two hours pretending penguins are nothing more than little people dressed in penguin suits and insulting my intelligence.  That movie was so insipid that when it ended I was honestly disappointed that more of the little !@#$ers didn't freeze to death.

Just my contrary opinion.  And I actually liked penguins before I saw that movie.  :devil:

416190[/snapback]

alas, the aim of your tossed crap is true...although, i like animal documentaries so much i was willing to excuse the script for the most part.

seriuously,the film is so fascinating visually that i would still recommend it, ESPECIALLY if you have kids. although, yeah, some of the little bastards die- so get ready to have to give the old "yes honey, all god's creatures will die some day" speech to your kids.

but i felt embarrassed and patronized by the script.

i heard grizzly is good, but that the guy is such a psycho, you're practically rooting for him to get eaten (read that in a review :blush: ). maybe that's why the reviews have been so good?

if you like these type of movies, "the wild parrots of telegraph hill" was awesome, although you have to be tolerant of stereotypical aging hippies.

This post makes me embarrassed to be from Ohio.  What's worse, Navy crying over Hulk Hogan or Buckeye Mike crying over a Penguin movie? :devil:

416232[/snapback]

No crying here...just posting my recommendation.

If you're embarrassed by such things, I feel bad for you.

Mike

No crying here...just posting my recommendation.

If you're embarrassed by such things, I feel bad for you.

Mike

416289[/snapback]

"Narrated by Morgan Freeman (who is perfect for voiceover here), the movie will be funny, fascinating, and bring a tear to your eye."

Maybe you need to read your own post.