Pats pick up Andre' Davis

Thailog80

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well think about it for a minute.  If Davis couldn't help the BROWNS, how much could he help the Pats?  It's not like Crennel is a moron or anything.

414323[/snapback]

Thats how thin or desperate the Pats are at wideout. They cut then resigned Troy Brown (34 years old), David Givins was their top wr last season and only had 56 catches and lastly the signed Tim Dwight as a free agent. Not a real scary wide reciver group if you ask me.

Thats how thin or desperate the Pats are at wideout. They cut then resigned Troy Brown (34 years old), David Givins was their top wr last season and only had 56 catches and lastly the signed Tim Dwight as a free agent. Not a real scary wide reciver group if you ask me.

414347[/snapback]

Tim Dwight had some shining moments in San Diego.

414347[/snapback]

which is likely why they made a big play for derrick mason.......

their WR's don't look very intimidating (do they ever?) but they have some real difference makers at TE.......daniel graham has established himself and if ben watson can stay healthy this year he will make some noise.......

which is likely why they made a big play for derrick mason.......

their WR's don't look very intimidating (do they ever?) but they have some real difference makers at TE.......daniel graham has established himself and if ben watson can stay healthy this year he will make some noise.......

414357[/snapback]

Their philosophy has been obvious- draft players who catch the ball and stay away from anyone who has any rep for dropping balls regardless of their "talent" level. It's a great strategy in the small passing game they play that functions on reliability, and it's also been hugely important to the success of their QB who is hardly a model of accuracy among NFL starters. The difference has been that his WRs go out and make plays on almost any ball, feeding the realization of "team" perfectly.

I actually think the Pats are solid at WR. In no particular order:

Branch

Terrell

Johnson

Givens

Davis

Brown

Dwight

No superstars, but they're pretty solid up and down the list. I don't think they'll be keeping 7 wr's so expect someone to be cut...and I have a bad feeling that Terrell is going to turn his career around in New England.

I actually think the Pats are solid at WR. In no particular order:

Branch

Terrell

Johnson

Givens

Davis

Brown

Dwight

No superstars, but they're pretty solid up and down the list. I don't think they'll be keeping 7 wr's so expect someone to be cut...and I have a bad feeling that Terrell is going to turn his career around in New England.

414440[/snapback]

Terrell and Johnson have been injured the last couple weeks, as has PK Sam (who they drafted last year and spent the year hurt/injured). Seems like a 5th round pick for Davis is pretty reasonable, but it's a bit surprising considering the depth at the position mentioned above. I'm just guessing they don't think they can count on those injured guys to make the opener, and they are a matchup driven offense to take advantage of Brady's best strength - find the matchup, make the quick decision and accurate throw.

Dwight plays really hard and had a great game the other night, but I've been thinking he was a longshot to make the team all along. He's not what they need in the passing game as long as Brown is healthy, and they have been acquiring a lot of potential kick and/or punt returners this offseason (Morton, Starks, draft pick Ellis Hobbs).

I think they'll have five WR on Opening Day - Givens, Branch, Davis, Brown, and Terrell. Johnson will be around because he's still on the PUP list.

Their philosophy has been obvious- draft players who catch the ball and stay away from anyone who has any rep for dropping balls regardless of their "talent" level. It's a great strategy in the small passing game they play that functions on reliability, and it's also been hugely important to the success of their QB who is hardly a model of accuracy among NFL starters. The difference has been that his WRs go out and make plays on almost any ball, feeding the realization of "team" perfectly.

414384[/snapback]

Ouch, I have to agree with Hollywood on this one. AKC your making us look bad. Tom Brady might be a raging homosexual but his is a great QB. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

414753[/snapback]

Yeah, it's a real Dan Pastorini Offense you're running up there.

Hell, I can toss 15 yard balls on the numbers when there's no pressure. At the same time I've seen loafer-boy in the instances when the scheme broke down and he faced the same pressure others QBs play with all the time- and he's looked a lot more like Rick Mirer than a solid NFL starter. His WRs bail him out regularly and that's a huge plus for the Pats.

BTW-We're all looking forward to seing him without Jabba Da Hut running the offense ;-)