Reason #186 why WGR sucks

I too have heard this. I even seem to remember rather sarcastic banter last year related to the fact that they were told in a letter by the Bills that "Bills" was protected by copyright and there were not given permission to use it.

They are allowed to talk about the Bills, just not use the name  :rolleyes:

414633[/snapback]

That's a stock letter; WNSA got one last year, too. I remember Brinson poking fun at it on the air, calling the Bills the "Professional Football Team of Orchard Park" or something like that.

While you're at it, everyone, check out THIS website. How many Bills logos do you see here? Ever wonder why?

You don't pay the rights fees to use NFL logos, you don't get to use NFL logos. That's how it's always been, for those of you too young to remember the mid-1970s Topps football cards with the team logos airbrushed off the helmets. (Made for some gawdawful-ugly cards, let me tell you.)

Here, check out this link to an Entercom-owned sportstalker in Milwaukee:

http://www.1250sportsradio.com/

Take a close look at the football players in their banner - the W has been brushed off the helmet of the University of Wisconsin player, and while you might happen to know that the guy in the yellow helmet is Packers FB Najeh Davenport, there's no visible logo.

It's a battle every day for WGR just to be able to say the words Buffalo Bills on air.

414359[/snapback]

The WGR website is an obvious extension of the station. On-air, on the website, it's all the same.

414626[/snapback]

Not that I'm trying to split hairs but you did say on air, not on the website.

I hope you aren't getting your info from the same inside source who told you undoubtly Ty Law was at the Buffalo airport and visited OBD during the first couple eeks of free agency. :rolleyes:

They do a post-game show during the regular season....post game show in the preseason is pretty lame in my opinion.  Plus, they had SportsTalk Sunday and talked about the game for like 3 hours.....

414748[/snapback]

Yeah, but I have a two-hour drive home after the game. SportsTalk Sunday wouldn't have helped much there..... :rolleyes:

Oh, but waitaminute - Jim Brinson is hosting the WGRF postgame again this year. For those of you who don't like him either - and based on some of the potshots at him I've seen here over the years, I know you're out there - guess you're STILL out of luck.....

414598[/snapback]

Isn't Jimmy B. working in Arkansas anymore??

Isn't Jimmy B. working in Arkansas anymore??

414784[/snapback]

When Simon went to WGR last November, Brinson picked up the 97Rock gig. (Remember, he had the EMoulds Show taping on Monday nights, so it was probably just a matter of getting into Buffalo a little earlier.)

Not sure about the other, at this point. Maybe I'll see what I can find out....

Yawn. You hate WGR with every fiber of your being, PTR...we get it already. Believe it not there are some of us who like it (myself included).

No they did not have a post game show but they did have a 90 minute pregame show (97 Rock's was only 60!! gasp!!!!)

What you fail to realize is that the guys over at WGR are probably loving it every time someone here posts something new about them (daily now it seems) or Pergament writes a negative article in the paper or whatever else, because they are getting mentioned and they are getting their name mentioned and in the exciting world of radio, that is all that really care about.

Whether you're listening to them because they're the only option, or because you want to hear how bad they supposedly are or because you actually like them, they don't care because it all means ratings in the end. WGR is owned by one of tne of the largest radio corporations in the country and is seeing its numbers improve with each passing book. Chances are pretty good it's not going anywhere despite the number of personal crusades on this message board.

I am a fan of the station and I'm not afraid to admit it and frankly I am sick and tired of all the bashing that goes on here. I don't know anyone who works there personally, but I listen to the station daily at work and have come to enjoy all of the hosts (even when they aren't talking sports!!!). Strange as it may sound, I have come to feel as if I know them personally. I don't believe this is a weird thing in the world of radio...it explains why hosts like Stern and Don & Mike have such a following.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare the WGR staff with Stern or Don & Mike, but I work in an office of about 50 and know of at least 10 other guys who also listen to the station and like it very much. We'll debate about what Howard and Jeremy are talking about that morning, or laugh at some of Rome's jokes and not once do we ever think, "God I can't believe how terrible this station is" or "Can you believe there was no postgame show last night? What a bunch of idiots".

It seems as though the popular sentiment here is that the radio station sucks. I'm not sure exactly how many of WGR's regulars are also regulars on this board, but I think it's safe to say there are probably some (yes it's true) regular listeners and callers of the station who have no idea that this board even exists. (And yes, WGR does have fans...I happened upon their listener party this past winter and had a great time).

Point is, the radio station has a fan base. If you don't care for the station, that's fine. And yes I think it's great there is a Bills forum for all of us to share our opinions on the team and also the local media. But as a fan of both, I am just exasperated and fed up with at least one WGR-bashing post on here per day (by one person in particular) just as most of us would be exasperated by at least one Bills/Losman/Mularkey/Donahoe-bashing post on here per day (by one person in particular).

The station sucks (in your opinion). We freaking get it already.

i think i could stand it ,if that was the only news i could get . not much said about the bills around here .

414853[/snapback]

Yup. Even for those of us former Empire addicts who get the Buffalo networks (and their 3 minutes of sports news at 6:22 and 11:25), WGR and the BuffNews are the best means left to feed our cravings.

That's why, when I get home from work at 8 tomorrow morning, I'll be sitting in the car (since I have crappy AM reception in the house), reading the sports section and listening to a few minutes of Howard and Jeremy before grabbing some shuteye........

Not that I'm trying to split hairs but you did say on air, not on the website.

I hope you aren't getting your info from the same inside source who told you undoubtly Ty Law was at the Buffalo airport and visited OBD during the first couple eeks of free agency. :rolleyes:

414754[/snapback]

Whatever dude, get over it. I still stand by what I said, Ty Law was in town. Just because they didn't sign him doesn't mean he wasn't here.

I guess I was wrong about the Sabres jersey thing too, huh?

Oh Coach -- by the way -- did I ever tell you what a DICKerson you are. You're the reason the Bills associate WGR with Satan. Go eat a donut. Who loves ya baby?