Bills/Bears

DeeRay

The 3rd preaseason game is usually the benchmark game... the game in which most of the regulars play the first half and bring the full load.

Offensively the Bills will have a good test from the Bears defense. From this game, you can pretty much expect what the bills offense will deliver... at least for the first half of this season.

Defensively? If our expectations of the Bills defense is the same as how the bills played over the last half of last season, then I would expect that the Bills hand it to the bears big time.... because, we all know the Bears offense is terrible... and playing against what is supposed to be an upper echelon NFL defense, that is a recipe for serious destruction. However, if the Bears seem to be able to generate a little offense, that will definitely reinforce my belief that letting Pat Williams go also renders Sam Adams play to average, at best. Stay tuned. I've been a tad concerened about the Bills D... perhaps unrightly.

Thus far this pre season, I can't say that I'm overly impressed with JP. However, nor am I the slightest bit concerened that he can get the job done. The kid will work out... but he is going to make his share of gaffes. it's going to take some time for him to be good. But you can just see and feel that the players around him are excited.

If there is one player that I think made a quantum leap, it is definitely Jabari Greer. Other than that, nothing rings my chime too much.

I will say there are at least 4 players that have had their statute of limitations expire. Coy Wire, Sam Aiken, Lavale Sape, Ben Sobieski. Aside from Sape making a contribution on ST last week against the Colts, this quartet has just taken up space on the roster. If this team is to get better, it can't be laden with these "Victor Allotay" types... and that's exactly what these stiffs are.

THAT DOES IT! No one picks on Victor Allotay and gets away with it!!!!

Seriously...for those with short memories like myself, also keep in mind that going into our third preseason game last year our offense had yet to score a touchdown. I'm glad this is one less thing to worry about this year.

THAT DOES IT! No one picks on Victor Allotay and gets away with it!!!!

Seriously...for those with short memories like myself, also keep in mind that going into our third preseason game last year our offense had yet to score a touchdown. I'm glad this is one less thing to worry about this year.

414236[/snapback]

Wow! I forgot all about that! Really puts things in perspective, doesn't it? The next person how complains JP is only doing it in pre-season ought to remember Drew Bledsoe couldn't!

PTR

i agree that the Bears DL will be an excellent test for the Bills OL.

i am excited about watching JP over the course of the entire year. i think you will be able to watch a player improve from week to week. it would be fun to tape the first game of the year and the last game of the year and compare how much improvement there is when the season is over.

Last I checked Sobieski wasn't taking a roster space...

Also, WRT the D, you always have to consider the fact that Adams for one is notorius for playing pre-season in 2nd gear...and consider the play-calling, planning (none), etc. If the Bears 1st string O scores 5 TD's against our starting D, I'd be worried. But if they score a TD and/or rack up 100 or so yards against our D, I won't be looking for a bridge to jump off...

If there is one player that I think made a quantum leap, it is definitely Jabari Greer. Other than that, nothing rings my chime too much

So glad to see that someone else is watching this kid. I've been bringing up his name as someone to watch since 2004 camp.

To allay your fears about the defense, first off, on Saturday on the 1st Packers drive, the Bills were working on zone coverages which we likely won't see, and they didn't blitz more than a play or two, which is something (the blitz) we WILL see. Second of all, Phat Sam and previously Fat Ted were the keys to the DL, not Phat Pat, as evidenced by 2001 and 2002 without either and the defense being a sieve. Last of all, Phat Sam always takes pre-season off and the past 2 pre-seasons have had the Bills looking like shiite but playing great when it counted (with various hiccups).

Oh and if you're not impressed with JP, you've got your sights/expectations set WAY too high.

The 3rd preaseason game is usually the benchmark game... the game in which most of the regulars play the first half and bring the full load.

Offensively the Bills will have a good test from the Bears defense.  From this game, you can pretty much expect what the bills offense will deliver... at least for the first half of this season.

Defensively?  If our expectations of the Bills defense is the same as how the bills played over the last half of last season, then I would expect that the Bills hand it to the bears big time.... because, we all know the Bears offense is terrible... and playing against what is supposed to be an upper echelon NFL defense, that is a recipe for serious destruction.  However, if the Bears seem to be able to generate a little offense, that will definitely reinforce my belief that letting Pat Williams go also renders Sam Adams play to average, at best.  Stay tuned.  I've been a tad concerened about the Bills D... perhaps unrightly.

Thus far this pre season, I can't say that I'm overly impressed with JP.  However, nor am I the slightest bit concerened that he can get the job done.  The kid will work out... but he is going to make his share of gaffes. it's going to take some time for him to be good.  But you can just see and feel that the players around him are excited.

If there is one player that I think made a quantum leap, it is definitely Jabari Greer.  Other than that, nothing rings my chime too much.

I will say there are at least 4 players that have had their statute of limitations expire.  Coy Wire, Sam Aiken, Lavale Sape, Ben Sobieski.  Aside from Sape making a contribution on ST last week against the Colts, this quartet has just taken up space on the roster.  If this team is to get better, it can't be laden with these "Victor Allotay" types... and that's exactly what these stiffs are.

414215[/snapback]

I know someone who wont be getting a Christmas Card from the Lauvale Sape fan club.

i am excited about watching JP of the course of the entire year.  i think you will be able to watch a player improve from week to week.  it would be fun to tape the first game of the year and the last game of the year and compare how much improvement there is when the season is over.

414243[/snapback]

not necessarly........big ben regressed as the season went on and defenses began to adjust to him........not to mention the long season first year players need to get used to vs. the shorter college season........

not necessarly........big ben regressed as the season went on and defenses began to adjust to him........not to mention the long season first year players need to get used to vs. the shorter college season........

Big Ben was also a rookie, not a rookie starter like JP. JP now knows what it entails to go through a full NFL season, Big Ben did not last year. And if Wyche does his job, he'll prevent JP from regressing.

So glad to see that someone else is watching this kid. I've been bringing up his name as someone to watch since 2004 camp.

414304[/snapback]

I heard he got a bogus flag thrown at him Saturday.

I just hope he doesn't follow in the Ken Irvan/Chris Watson footsteps of Bills Nickel DB's who get picked on to death by the refs for no apparant reason.

I heard he got a bogus flag thrown at him Saturday. 

I just hope he doesn't follow in the Ken Irvan/Chris Watson footsteps of Bills Nickel DB's who get picked on to death by the refs for no apparant reason.

414405[/snapback]

It wasn't just the refs picking on Chris Watson.

Offensively the Bills will have a good test from the Bears defense.  From this game, you can pretty much expect what the bills offense will deliver... at least for the first half of this season.

414215[/snapback]

I am looking forward to seeing how the Bills do against the Bears D too. The talk here in Chicago is about this unit being as good as the '85 super bowl D. Da Bears will also be anxious to prove that Gandy really did suck it wasn't just bad coaching or game planning (by the bears).

My wife was given a pair of luxury box seats so it will be my first trip to the "Saucer" at Soldier Field. We hope to see reasons that buying seats to the Denver game in Dec was a good idea.

Can't wait -- Can't beleive I'm really excited about a preseason game either.