Packers Crying about us Blitzing

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I read them wrong, but I got the impression that some of the Packers were giving the Bills some kudos and respect. As was mentioned, the sports media made it otherwise.

412597[/snapback]

I read a few articles and agree. They were giving the Bills respect and not whining at all. The closest to whining was saying that they weren't prepared for it.

Anyone else a little uneasy at the amount of blitzing we've done so far? I mean, I realize the purpose of the preseason is to practice what you're going to be doing, but I would also think we'd try to keep things fairly vanilla until the season starts. Doesn't sound like it's been very vanilla.

Anyone else a little uneasy at the amount of blitzing we've done so far? I mean, I realize the purpose of the preseason is to practice what you're going to be doing, but I would also think we'd try to keep things fairly vanilla until the season starts. Doesn't sound like it's been very vanilla.

412622[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. But, they aren't running anything that the opposition couldn't see from games last year.

412622[/snapback]

Maybe that IS their vanilla? Wouldn't that be interesting?

I was thinking the same thing.  But, they aren't running anything that the opposition couldn't see from games last year.

412627[/snapback]

Good point, I guess. Especially considering practically the entire defense and defensive staff are returning from last year.

412631[/snapback]

:) Good point...hadn't thought of that. The base, vanilla defense is completely disruptive. Certainly does bring a smile to the face. Could also be a nice indication how comfortable these guys now are with Jerry's defense.

I was thinking the same thing.  But, they aren't running anything that the opposition couldn't see from games last year.

412627[/snapback]

To me, that is what makes it stange they weren't expecting it. I'm not expecting them to game plan for a scrimmage but just like you can know the Colts like to throw the ball without having to scout one of their games, people (especially those who coach in the NFL) should know the Bills like to blitz. As previously mentioned in this thread, things at a scrimmage can be negotiated beforehand so I see no reason for any whining. My bet is it is being misinterpreted (aka twisted) by the media to have a story.

:)  Good point...hadn't thought of that. The base, vanilla defense is completely disruptive. Certainly does bring a smile to the face. Could also be a nice indication how comfortable these guys now are with Jerry's defense.

412634[/snapback]

That's my take. I'm pretty happy that our vanilla base defense has the league more than a little concerned.

I'm pretty curious as to how this season will pan out. With the dilutions through caps and free agency, any team can get a good run. In my simple Polish laymans view, the Bills are stacked compared to many, many teams. They could make a very serious run.

I'm probably not the only one, but I haven't seen it mentioned all that much. Stupid mistakes, and stupid penalties will be the Bills downfall, if there is one. I saw the Clements threads. I'll bet you he has heard about that Jax game until he's vomited.

Losman is not the key to this season. He'll be fine, bouncy feet and all. Maybe it's something in the water there, but the brain farts the Bills pull at the worst possible moment, to me, is what will keep them out of a playoff run or even the Holy Grail. Losman isn't going to convert many third and 15's. The defense can't give up third and 15's through a roughing call. I'm all for intensity, but this has been a Bills problem for several years. 19 penalties in the first pre-season game doesn't encourage me. Get disciplined within the schemes, or the penalties will cost the Bills more games than Losmans inexperience. Don't ever underestimate the "Walt Coleman" factor. The Bills have a rep as a team who makes those kinds of mistakes, and because of that, they will draw more flags than the average.

yes...exactly. I think we were all going to post about this.

They are such f-ing babies. I like Brett Favre, but I hope he is laying on his back for the whole first quarter tomorrow.

412571[/snapback]

And I hope Ron Edwards is on top of him.

:):blink::doh:

412631[/snapback]

Yeah, I say smack down the vanilla offenses with blitz-mania...send a message to the league. You, of all people, know the importance of psychology in the trenches...they will be better just from the footsteps the QB's will hear in preparation of them...

Maybe I'm exaggarating the effectiveness, but heck, this defense should impose fear...I'm just hoping they carry it through a full 4 quarters this year... :)

MM seems to generally take an approach of hiding things in plain site. Rather than confusing the opponents about what we might do by not showing them things he seems to make a point of showing the opponents all sorts of things so that they cannpt guess what he is is going to do in a particular situation,

My guess is that in pre-season we are going to use every blitz we have so that the opponents are forced to prepare for them all.

That's a big reason why I was glad to hear Mularkey say he wished the Colts would have had their best players available for the game last week.

Can you say Marv Levy? Remember him? HOF coach, 4 straight SBs. He never played his starters more than a quarter during preseason. PROTECT the starters for when the games count. Dungy was smart. I think MM is showing too much in preseason, might give other teams plenty of tape.

Can you say Marv Levy?  Remember him?  HOF coach, 4 straight SBs.  He never played his starters more than a quarter during preseason.  PROTECT the starters for when the games count.  Dungy was smart.  I think MM is showing too much in preseason, might give other teams plenty of tape.

413025[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think you can compare this situation to those SB teams. We have a QB who has had like five regular season snaps. He needs to be getting playing time this preseason, not being protected. I'm all for protecting our proven starters, but JP needs to play against the best competition available and get as much seasoning as possible prior to game 1.

Can you say Marv Levy?  Remember him?  HOF coach, 4 straight SBs.  He never played his starters more than a quarter during preseason.  PROTECT the starters for when the games count.  Dungy was smart.  I think MM is showing too much in preseason, might give other teams plenty of tape.

413025[/snapback]

All it really comes down to is the first one or two games. There is very little that the Bills are going to do scheme-wise in the pre-season that they are NOT going to use in the first one or two games, but will in the remaining 14 that other teams can take advantage of by watching us in the pre-season. And the Bills will surely throw a few wrinkles in against the Texans and against the Bucs in games one and two that they didn't see in pre-season. The Bills coaches are not fifth graders and don't know that.

Furthermore, when you don't use something close to your regular defense and offense in the pre-season your back-up players don't get to practice the real thing. Wouldn't you prefer to have Tim Anderson and the back-up LBs and Greer and Eric King and Baker, etc. actually practicing the schemes they are going to be running if they do get in the games rather than reactive schemes (precisely the opposite of what they will be doing) if we run a standard vanilla defense?

The fact that the Bills have virtually all the same players and all the same coaches and schemes and tendencies makes very little changes in what teams can see on film from last season to this one. And surely the coaches are adding little wrinkles that they are not showing in pre-season but will be showing against the Texans and Bucs. And at the very least, showing them a lot of formations and blitz schemes that they must prepare for (and then not use those exact same ones in the game)

I have a sneaking suspicion that if the Packers were a Bills kind of blitzing team and we weren't, and the Bills weren't prepared for it, and JP Losman was never given a chance to get the ball off because the Packers were blitzing all over the place, TSW would implode over the fact that the Packers were cheaters and you NEVER do that in scrimmages and that's total bush league bullschitt. 0:)

412606[/snapback]

honestly, kelly, i'd B word about the coaching staff not preparing for it. that's what i'd be doing if i was a green bay fan and read these articles.