Batten Down the Hatches Buffalo

Test

In a related note...

Twister the movie really has really shown its age and reveals itself as downright awful. I remember when it first came out everyone was amazed by that darn flying cow. All the special effects kept everyone distracted from the poor plot/casting/acting in the movie overall. Now that those special effects look uber fake compared to what goes on in Hollywood today -- completely unwatchable.

The unitentional comedy scale is through the roof  though. Anyone remember how the Helen Hunt and what's his name characters managed to stave off that final out-of-this-world powerful twister?

LMAO

412463[/snapback]

What's his name is Bill Paxton.

SPOILER ALERT (as if someone on this board hasn't seen "Twister" despite the fact that TNT shows it six times every weekend):

Jami Gertz had possibly the most thankless role in movie history here...stand around with the same terrified, deer-in-the-headlights-Todd Collins look on her face, while Helen Hunt steals her man back.

The effects are showing their age, but about a minute before the flying cow scene...they are driving down a lonely dirt road, no one around...scene cuts back to the cab of the truck...it's now a paved road, with a minivan going the other way, passing them.

It took me exactly ONE viewing to catch that one. Nevertheless, the movie remains a guilty pleasure of mine.

Mike

On a side note speaking of Twisters and Tornados...the Twister attraction in Universal studios is NOT worth standing in line for(believe me). I'm not even sure if it's worth seeing if there is no line.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

It's been a while since it happened, but wasn't it a tornado that touched down In Cheektowaga and did some serious damage to the Holiday Showcase restaurant on Union Rd.?

412468[/snapback]

Many years ago. A lightning strike took out the weather radar at the airport tower, leaving the weather geeks blind. So, having nothing really to do without radar, they're just kind of watching out the window...and holy sh--, there's a tornado!

Restaurant manager did a great job getting everyone to safety, too. Reacted quickly and had everyone in the basement before the NWS even managed to issue the warning.

What's his name is Bill Paxton.

SPOILER ALERT (as if someone on this board hasn't seen "Twister" despite the fact that TNT shows it six times every weekend):

Jami Gertz had possibly the most thankless role in movie history here...stand around with the same terrified, deer-in-the-headlights-Todd Collins look on her face, while Helen Hunt steals her man back.

The effects are showing their age, but about a minute before the flying cow scene...they are driving down a lonely dirt road, no one around...scene cuts back to the cab of the truck...it's now a paved road, with a minivan going the other way, passing them.

It took me exactly ONE viewing to catch that one.  Nevertheless, the movie remains a guilty pleasure of mine.

Mike

412494[/snapback]

I watch it for Helen Hunt's magically dirt-repellent white t-shirt. She crawls in the mud, it gets dirty, next scene...clean! Happens about three times.

...ALLEGANY-CATTARAUGUS-CHAUTAUQUA-GENESEE-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-LIVINGSTON- MONROE-NIAGARA-NORTHERN CAYUGA-NORTHERN ERIE-ONTARIO-ORLEANS-OSWEGO- SOUTHERN ERIE-WAYNE-WYOMING- 958 AM EDT FRI AUG 19 2005

...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...

A VERY MOIST AND UNSTABLE AIR MASS ACROSS THE OHIO VALLEY IS EXPECTED TO SURGE NORTHEASTWARD THIS AFTERNOON AHEAD OF AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE TRACKING THROUGH THE GREAT LAKES REGION. THE COMBINATION OF STRONG INSTABILITY AND MODEST MID AND UPPER LEVEL WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DISTURBANCE WILL BE FAVORABLE FOR ORGANIZED SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THE PRIMARY AREA FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE WEATHER WILL BE WEST OF THE FINGER LAKES...INCLUDING THE BUFFALO AND ROCHESTER AREAS. THE BEST TIME FOR DEVELOPMENT WILL BE FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 8 PM THIS EVENING.

THE MAIN SEVERE WEATHER THREAT IS EXPECTED TO BE LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS. HOWEVER...ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE ALSO POSSIBLE....

The sky is falling!

YAWN, So where is the Hail and Damaging Winds?? It sprinkled here in O.P.