Nigerian Scam Artists ...

merlin

Scam e-mails

Just came across this website that documents a bunch of "scam" e-mails where someone (usually from Nigeria) offers to buy merchandise/services, but has to pay with a cashier's check already made out in an amount much higher than the asking price of the merchandise ... and asks the seller to "refund the difference via Western Union wire funds transfer" ... and then, of course, the check turns out to be fake, etc. This scam has been around for a LONG time, and seems to be the #1 means of employment in Nigeria (the government looks the other way - only way such a poor country with no natural resources to speak of can make any money.

ANYWAY, this website is maintained by a woman who sells horses for a living, and she is constantly the target of these scams. So she's decided to "turn the tables", by stringing them along as long as she can, wasting their time, etc. Some of the stories these scam artists come up with are hilarious.

:D

friggin brilliant

Scam e-mails

Just came across this website that documents a bunch of "scam" e-mails where someone (usually from Nigeria) offers to buy merchandise/services, but has to pay with a cashier's check already made out in an amount much higher than the asking price of the merchandise ... and asks the seller to "refund the difference via Western Union wire funds transfer" ... and then, of course, the check turns out to be fake, etc.  This scam has been around for a LONG time, and seems to be the #1 means of employment in Nigeria (the government looks the other way - only way such a poor country with no natural resources to speak of can make any money.

ANYWAY, this website is maintained by a woman who sells horses for a living, and she is constantly the target of these scams.  So she's decided to "turn the tables", by stringing them along as long as she can, wasting their time, etc.  Some of the stories these scam artists come up with are hilarious.

:D

409434[/snapback]

Back in the good ole AOL days, I used to get IM from fake customer service reps asking for credit card info. I used to give them fake card #s. Let them waste their time trying to use it. ha!

409681[/snapback]

You might have stuck it to some innocent person that actually had that number. 0:)

That's an "un-ha!". <_<

You might have stuck it to some innocent person that actually had that number. 0:)

That's an "un-ha!".  <_<

409747[/snapback]

What are the chances that you can make up a name, number and expiration date that match someone else's?

You mean the $500 dollars and credit card numbers I just sent to Mr. Feelgood Jones in Lagos is part of a scam... oh sh--....I had such dreams for my share of the $54,000,000...

409475[/snapback]

Damn it Joe thats my money stay away from it. <_<

You'll never guess what happened! I just got an e-mail from a lawyer in Lagos who tells me my long lost Uncle Morgan was eaten by crocodiles. (or was it alligators?) Anyway Uncle Morgan left me $10 million dollars! All I have to do is send this lawyer my credit card and bank account numbers, and he'll transfer the money to me!!

Wow! Am I lucky of what?

PTR

You'll never guess what happened!  I just got an e-mail from a lawyer in Lagos who tells me my long lost Uncle Morgan was eaten by crocodiles. (or was it alligators?)  Anyway Uncle Morgan left me $10 million dollars!  All I have to do is send this lawyer my credit card and bank account numbers, and he'll transfer the money to me!!

Wow! Am I lucky of what?

PTR

409804[/snapback]

we must be cousins I just got the same. So are we splitting the 10M or get 10M each?

we must be cousins I just got the same.  So are we splitting the 10M or get 10M each?

409810[/snapback]

Wow! Now I find out I have two long lost relatives! By the way, you're paying for Uncle Morgan's funeral out of your half. Or we could just have the crocodile (...or is it aligator) stuffed and mounted.

PTR

Because I am a pastor, the Nigerian scam emails go something like this:

Dear Pastor, Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Barrister Mgbuto Maxwell. I obtained your contact information from a directory of outstanding pastors. I represent Mrs. Faith Mohammed. She was married to General so and so. The government was crooked so he embezzeled $25,000,000 and deposited it in such and such bank in the Netherlands. He was assasinated leaving the money to Mrs. Mohammed. She has given her life to the Lord Jesus Christ (insert much flowery language here) but has learned that she has breast cancer and has only a few months to live. Do not mourn for her as she knows she will go to her eternal home, but she desires that her money go to your church and its ministries. Add contact information here.