Rian Lindell

PTS

Rian is booting the ball on kickoffs, he also looks physically bigger than last year. Hopefully all that crap that TD said about him looking great is true.

406889[/snapback]

I don't care if he looks great. Looking great ain't gonna put the ball through the uprights. If he can now kick how he now looks, then that's a different story.

Terrell Owens looks great too, but sitting on the beach in the Bahamas ain't gonna help the Eagles.

The NFL GameBook has RL's kickoffs listed as getting to the 5, 1, -2, and 4 yard lines.

Vouchsafe that this is better than his KOs last year that made it to the 10 on a good kick. His problem the past two seasons have been more power-related than accuracy. So this is a good sign. The question is, Can he take this into the season?

Or maybe he stopped using this craptacular kicking tee. What the company claims as the 17" advantage can bootstrap you when there's a human there holding the ball 11" away and he's usually hunched over the ball.

The NFL GameBook has RL's kickoffs listed as getting to the 5, 1, -2, and 4 yard lines.

I noticed he's been booming his KO's so far - very nice. I hate to see the other team get a KO return starting at the 15 yd line. You don't want line drives or touchbacks - a high KO landing between the +5 to -2 yd lines is perfect. If he keeps that up, that's a valuable improvement - at least 1 more first down required by the opponent.

OTOH, it used to kill me when Steve Christie's KO's would come down at the 15 yd line, until Mr Clutch kicked the game-winning FG - then it didn't seem so important. Waiting to see if Lindell has shown any improvement on FG's also...

I noticed he's been booming his KO's so far - very nice. I hate to see the other team get a KO return starting at the 15 yd line. You don't want line drives or touchbacks - a high KO landing between the +5 to -2 yd lines is perfect. If he keeps that up, that's a valuable improvement - at least 1 more first down required by the opponent.

407313[/snapback]

Why don't you want touchbacks? On punts, that's correct. On KOs, that was actually one of the selling points for Mike Nugent, besides his clutch FGs, b/c he could boom them right through the end zone sometimes. Why would you not want your opponent starting at the 20 every time compared to the average KO return yardage of what, 21-23 yards? Nevermind that it saves your STs from injury or prevent the 'Music City Forward Lateral Miracle' from ever happening.

Why don't you want touchbacks? On punts, that's correct. On KOs, that was actually one of the selling points for Mike Nugent, besides his clutch FGs, b/c he could boom them right through the end zone sometimes. Why would you not want your opponent starting at the 20 every time compared to the average KO return yardage of what, 21-23 yards? Nevermind that it saves your STs from injury or prevent the 'Music City Forward Lateral Miracle' from ever happening.

I trust the ST more now. If you have a good coverage team, make them advance the football from the goal line. ST's can get in their face at the 10-15, maybe cause a turnover. Touchbacks bore me. Live a little!

You always want a touchback on kickoffs. They aren't easy to get..and even the best kickers in the league only get a handfull per season.....but you ALWAYS want touchbacks.

Lindell has always had solid hangtime on his kickoffs....he seems to finally be getting some accuracy to go along with it.

However, just to keep things in perspective.....last nights game was indoors on the same field turf ( new field turf...just like at the ralph) that he kicks on at home....let's see how he does outdoors in wind and weather conditions.

You always want a touchback on kickoffs. They aren't easy to get..and even the best kickers in the league only get a handfull per season.....but you ALWAYS want touchbacks.

Lindell has always had solid hangtime on his kickoffs....he seems to finally be getting some accuracy to go along with it.

However, just to keep things in perspective.....last nights game was indoors on the same field turf ( new field turf...just like at the ralph) that he kicks on at home....let's see how he does outdoors in wind and weather conditions.

The Bills ST averaged about 24 yards a return and took 3 for TD's last year. I probably would want to get a touchback against them if I didn't have a solid coverage team.

However, the Bills coverage team held opponents to an 18 yard average with no TD's; dropping a kickoff at the goal line would put the average starting position inside the 20, with the possibility of a turnover. So no, I do not ALWAYS want a touchback. I understand it's a gamble; that's why I enjoy it.

I don't care if he looks great.  Looking great ain't gonna put the ball through the uprights.  If he can now kick how he now looks, then that's a different story.

Terrell Owens looks great too, but sitting on the beach in the Bahamas ain't gonna help the Eagles.

407246[/snapback]

Did is miss something? Lindell had a problem getting the ball through the uprights last year? Last time I checked he was one of the most accurate kickers in the league last season. Oh well.

Did is miss something? Lindell had a problem getting the ball through the uprights last year? Last time I checked he was one of the most accurate kickers in the league last season. Oh well.

407644[/snapback]

That's because the Bills only trusted him going for FG's inside of 40 yards...outside of 40 yds he was abysmal....

Like I said, RL's problems are much more power-related than they have to do with 'accuracy.' As I think back, most of his missed kicks were generally on target; they just either didn't reach or didn't have enough speed/velocity/oompf in them to be in the right spot when they should have.

If this game and the coaches' reports are any indication, it sounds like he improved his leg strength or tweaked his kicking technique to get that extra oompf.