Has anyone here been in the Peace Corp?

Done that.  I have a degree in Networking Administration.

403428[/snapback]

Yes, and Peace Corps is the obvious next step! :(

I haven't been in and I've never known anyone who has. I can't be any help, but sure does sound like a great thing to get involved in.

Of course, after a few replies I'll probably find out it's really a undercover Nazi organization intent on taking over the world.

Good luck.

Fraternity Brother was in the peace corp.

He hated it.

Worked in Africa for the entire time, said he felt more like a slave than anything else. Also said there were many nights when he was not sure he was going to live to see the next day. This was 10 years ago, but I can't imagine it has gotten better.

Before you jump, find some people that have done it. There has to be a website that could help you.

Good luck!

Cool! I would love to do the Peace Core and know a few people that have done it. One worked in Mali and another worked in Central America(Honduras?). Those two both loved it. One thing I know is that its fairly competitive to get in. An exgirlfriend of mines parents joined together out of college. The mother got accepted and the father got denied. They determined he would not be cut out for it. The couple eventually married. Definately speak to people who have done it. Habitat for Humanity is another great program to join. Thats great that you are considering volunteering to help others out!

Sincerely...best of luck to you.  Really, I mean it.  I'm only laughing because going from Network Administration to the Peace Corps is the non-sequiter to end all non-sequiters.  :(

403432[/snapback]

Acctully the peace corp is looking for "IT People" to set up networks for goverments in underdeveloped countries and to teach basic computer skills.

Acctully the peace corp is looking for "IT People" to set up networks for goverments in underdeveloped countries and to teach basic computer skills.

403444[/snapback]

:(

Okay, so I take back the part about the non-sequiter...but two billion people in the world with no access to clean water, and the Peace Corps is expending their energy on internet access? That's just stupid... :(

Cool!  I would love to do the Peace Core and know a few people that have done it.  One worked in Mali and another worked in Central America(Honduras?).  Those two both loved it.  One thing I know is that its fairly competitive to get in.  An exgirlfriend of mines parents joined together out of college.  The mother got accepted and the father got denied.  They determined he would not be cut out for it.  The couple eventually married.  Definately speak to people who have done it.  Habitat for Humanity is another great program to join.  Thats great that you are considering volunteering to help others out!

403443[/snapback]

Actully if you have a 4 year degree its pretty easy to get in. There is a ton of paper work though. The peace corp website says the application process take anywhere from 3-6 months.

My plan is to time it so I wont have to sell my season tickets. Then hopefully leave in Feburary after a Bills win in Superbowl XL.

Actully if you have a 4 year degree its pretty easy to get in.  There is a ton of paper work though.  The peace corp website says the application process take anywhere from 3-6 months. 

My plan is to time it so I wont have to sell my season tickets.  Then hopefully leave in Feburary after a Bills win in Superbowl XL.

403454[/snapback]

Well, if nothing else you DO have your priorities in order!

:(

More than likely you will be sent to Africa. I have not heard good things from a family friend who was in the PC and was there. He was in Niger. Also my bro just had a buddy sign up, but he backed out because the only choice was Africa. Truthfully, I would try to find some humanitarian aid groups where you can stay in the U.S. Perhaps oil boy for the Hawaiian Tropic bikini team like Dumb&Dumber.

I have a cousin who was in the Peace Corps in one of the former Soviet republics (I think Uzbekistan). From there he got a job with the State Department in the Philippines. I think it's probably a good thing to do if you want to have a job like that in the State Department.

I know several people who have been in the Peace Corps. Opinions range from hate to love & devotion. You might do some research on the internet - many have "alumni" groups who call themselves Returned Peace Corps Volunteers. Look for articles on or by "RPCV" Good luck - I wish I did it after college.

Sounds good but im not a fan of brain washing  :D

405293[/snapback]

The Marines don't brain wash as much as they tear you down and make you start thinking on your own. It's actually quite a big deal that they down't want drones, but rather people who think outside the box and come up with creative solutions. If you're a mindless lemming who also follows orders and subject to "brain washing" you will fail in the Corps.