Bills Parade and Practice Photos

Yeah, I will beat a dead horse. But those pix were fan-fuggin-tastic! Best I have seen so far. Great system you have. If you dont mind, how much did that set you back? I am looking for a good camera for my trip back to Buffalo in Oct.

394423[/snapback]

Thanks. That camera and lens add up to a lot, probably over $2k, but I don't know today's prices. Canon makes a very similar version of the camera targeted at a lower price point, the Digital Rebel, it's a wonderful camera. And there are good deals on lenses out there. For football, you need a lot of reach (ability to zoom in quite a bit to get close to the action from way over on the sidelines). Sigma makes very good and affordable lenses.

Andy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I will beat a dead horse. But those pix were fan-fuggin-tastic! Best I have seen so far. Great system you have. If you dont mind, how much did that set you back? I am looking for a good camera for my trip back to Buffalo in Oct.

394423[/snapback]

Will they actually let you in the stadium with an SLR camera? From the Bills website:

Prohibited Items

Camera lenses longer than 6 inches

I'm guessing that the telephoto lens was more than six inches long...

Something to be aware of; I'm not sure how strictly this is enforced during games.

(of course if you weren't talking about taking it to the game, go for it; it looks to cost around $1,350 without lens)

CW

Will they actually let you in the stadium with an SLR camera?  From the Bills website:

I'm guessing that the telephoto lens was more than six inches long...

Something to be aware of; I'm not sure how strictly this is enforced during games.

(of course if you weren't talking about taking it to the game, go for it; it looks to cost around $1,350 without lens)

CW

394427[/snapback]

I don't usually talk about the size of my lens, but yes it's more than 6 inches long. Great point about not taking this to games. As an alternative, you could get a shorter lens with less reach, and carry in with you a 1.4x or 2x teleconvertor.

Just a thought. Anyway, I don't take cameras to real games, I just concentrate on the action!

Andy

I don't usually talk about the size of my lens, but yes it's more than 6 inches long. Great point about not taking this to games. As an alternative, you could get a shorter lens with less reach, and carry in with you a 1.4x or 2x teleconvertor.

Just a thought. Anyway, I don't take cameras to real games, I just concentrate on the action!

Andy

394428[/snapback]

Seriously it all depends on what usher you end up with when your entering RWS. I have a Fuji Fine Pix and the lens is pretty long. Anyway there was an older guy who wouldn't let me in with it but I went to a differnet gate and they didn't even ask me about it. Another thing the ushers are loooking for is whether or not your camera records short videos. Just lie that's what I did. :D

This thread is so long, some info got lost in there. The camera info:

Canon 20D digital SLR. Canon 70-200 f2.8L Images Stabilized lens.

394417[/snapback]

I was just busting your nuts. You said it three times before I asked... :D

Thanks. That camera and lens add up to a lot, probably over $2k, but I don't know today's prices. Canon makes a very similar version of the camera targeted at a lower price point, the Digital Rebel, it's a wonderful camera. And there are good deals on lenses out there. For football, you need a lot of reach (ability to zoom in quite a bit to get close to the action from way over on the sidelines). Sigma makes very good and affordable lenses.

Andy

394426[/snapback]

Thanks for the tips. I will check them out....

What settings did you use to capture the action shots if you don't mind me asking?

394434[/snapback]

At the start of practice, there was still some sunlight (albeit coming at me -- the VIP section was on the East side of the field being used for most of the drills). I was using ISO400 (similar concept to film speed in the film world), and shooting in Aperture mode on the camera, with the lens wide open at f2.8. This gave me shutter speeds approaching 1/1000 second.

As it darkened and the sun went behind a building, I pushed the ISO to 800. The Roscoe Parrish shot, which was taken at about 8PM, resulted in a shutter speed of 1/1250 second at the above settings. I normally shoot in RAW mode, but last night I just shot at high-quality JPEG. I was concerned that I'd have to do some noise reduction on the ISO800 shots, but they came out clean -- that Canon sensor is wonderful at high ISOs.

Focusing can be a pain, but the camera has a focus mode called AI Servo. It allows you to follow a subject while the shutter button is half depressed, and the camera constantly updates focus as the subject changes distance from you. It worked very well, however several of the photos were busts because in panning I allowed the focus point to move off the subject and onto a distant background object.

So, the critical thing is to control shutter speed in order to stop the action. I chose to do that with a combination of wide-open aperture and high ISO. Alternatively, I could have just set a shutter speed in Shutter Speed mode, and let the camera do the rest, but I would have lost control over depth of field that way.

Anyway, it's always a learning experience, and always fun.

Andy

Andy

394428[/snapback]

Hey, maybe you should try and SELL those photos to others on the board. There's another guy who does that here. 0:)

Hey, maybe you should try and SELL those photos to others on the board. There's another guy who does that here.  0:)

394757[/snapback]

Nah, that's not my thing. However, I'm going to print some of them as 8x10s and take them to practice to get them signed by the players. That will look good on my wall!

Andy

Nah, that's not my thing. However, I'm going to print some of them as 8x10s and take them to practice to get them signed by the players. That will look good on my wall!

Andy

394775[/snapback]

Jeez, you don't want to charge 50.00 per photo? 0:)

Hey, those 8x10's are going to be sweet. :lol:

Andy

394775[/snapback]

I'd like one of you in your jeep, please. 0:)