We must go vertical 2-3 times a game...

PISSCHUNK

Look, I don't think we played a Super Bowl caliber team today but I beg you to find me a better up the middle 5 spots on any other team in the league. Henderson, Stroud, Petersen, Darius and Grant are stout. While I admire the coaching philosophy to continue to hammer them, and it was working late, we still need to take some shots down the field to keep those Safeties from cheating up and smashing our guys so easily. The only vertical play was to Campbell and that was from necessity as Bledsoe was about to be sacked and made a great throw in there. The veterans made some mistakes out there. Villarieal with two penalties, Williams with one, Moulds fumbling in field goal range, Clements allowing Smith to catch that ball(just good football in my eyes)and others I'm sure.

Bottom line is this. Just mix in a little bit of vertical game and continue to hammer at people and we will be fine. Don't under-estimate how good that defense we just played is. Our defense played well enough to win. The offense has to help more.

Sound familiar?

Late

We can't go for the big play!  Our line can't block for 3 secs and DB will get killed!

Why would it matter when receivers are dropping easy passes and fumbling  in the red zone?

27696[/snapback]

You don't have to take a 7-step drop or even a 5-step drop to go deep.

I agree however about the WR fumbling thing as that more than anything cost us the game.

Late

I agree,in the 4th quarter I think it was,when the Bills were pounding McGahee,run after run,you know the safties had to be cheating up a little,we should have taken a shot,it's called keeping the defense honest...

I guess I didn't expect miracles,but I expected more then a bend but don't break attitude..

Just like in the first when they are getting pressure from different spots on Leftwitch and then in the 2nd quarter they back off and try to rely on the front 4 to get pressure...

I agree,in the 4th quarter I think it was,when the Bills were pounding McGahee,run after run,you know the safties had to be cheating up a little,we should have taken a shot,it's called keeping the defense honest...

I guess I didn't expect miracles,but I expected more then a bend but don't break attitude..

Just like in the first when they are getting pressure from different spots on Leftwitch and then in the 2nd quarter they back off and try to rely on the front 4 to get pressure...

27794[/snapback]

You seem to have forgotten that we had the fiirst down and McGahee was actuall past Villarial when the "supposed" hold occurred. We were actually pounding the ball, with our backup (for now) back and succeeding.

*sigh*

I miss the good ole days of pass, pass, run, punt!

*sigh*

27802[/snapback]

Not at all! This is what we should have been doing is running the clock by pounding the football. But, all I'm saying is as the game progresses, we should have taken a couple of shots downfield. At the end, sure, protect the game and the lead. But as the new rules state and has happened throughout the league today, test the CB's, you might hit one or you might get a penalty and in the process, the safeties are a bit slower to react in the box. Not advocating on every first down but just a couple or three times in a game. Does that sound like last year? I think not!

Late

Not at all! This is what we should have been doing is running the clock by pounding the football. But, all I'm saying is as the game progresses, we should have taken a couple of shots downfield. At the end, sure, protect the game and the lead. But as the new rules state and has happened throughout the league today, test the CB's, you might hit one or you might get a penalty and in the process, the safeties are a bit slower to react in the box. Not advocating on every first down but just a couple or three times in a game. Does that sound like last year? I think not!

Late

27832[/snapback]

Now to that extent, I agree whole heartedly. I have no problem with running the ball, especially late in the game, the opposing DL getting tired, etc. But throughout the game, we failed to try to open the field up a bit. A couple deep throws may have helped emensely, especially if they were successful. Moulds is healthy, Evans runs like a deer, gotta keep 'em honest.