Thought this was an interesting find:

Camp battles: AFC East

July 18, 2005

By Pete Prisco

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Pete your opinion!

Buffalo Bills

Ron Edwards vs. Tim Anderson, defensive tackle

The Bills lost Pat Williams to the Vikings in free agency, creating a huge (360-pound) void in the middle of their line. Replacing him will be tough. But Anderson is a second-year player from Ohio State they are high on. He's not big at 300 pounds, but he plays hard and he had a good offseason. Edwards started 16 games in 2003, so he has the ability to be a starter, but he doesn't have as much upside as Anderson.

Edge: It seems as if Anderson has it heading into camp because he did so well in the offseason work. Edwards is the bigger man (320 pounds) and the more experienced of the two, so that could help his case.

Opening-day starter: Anderson. The Bills were praising him too much the past five months for him to be on the bench. Plus, he has a chance to be a darn good player.

Nice to see some of our draft picks pan out!!

387301[/snapback]

I think you mean, it would be nice to see some of our draft picks pan out...

Nice to see some of our draft picks pan out!!

387301[/snapback]

I know the jury is still out on aderson.. but I saw this guy play at Ohio State and this guy is a ball player.. He plays hard and is probably better on game day then on the practice field. He is always around the ball.. Reminds me of a quiet Fred smerlis

I know the jury is still out on aderson.. but I saw this guy play at Ohio State and this guy is a ball player.. He plays hard and is probably better on game day then on the practice field.  He is always around the ball.. Reminds me of a quiet Fred smerlis

387379[/snapback]

A very accurate description. I saw Anderson play 4 years at OSU and to me he was the cornerstone of a D-Line that saw all 4 players drafted high, including Will Smith in the first round. Smith got all the pub, but Anderson routinely graded out better.

Yeah McGahee, Clements, Moulds, Evans, Schobel.  They're all bumbs.

387347[/snapback]

I'm sure that the poster thinks second day pick McGee who made the Pro Bowl was a bum as well.

Perhaps he finds even the good production from the draft substandard as he compares it with some good production we got from FA signings like Spikes and Adams or UFA gets like Moorman and Baker (or even the contributions of a nn-starter like Peters,

The list of some fairly nice hits by TD looking at draftees, FAs and UFAs raises several questions about the misses:

1. Why do some folks want to accuse TD of being horrible at everything when a more reality based assessment shows him to be a mized bag at worse?

Generally the W/L under his tenure and failure to make the playoffs and the failed hiring of GW are the lead bad issues. However, the above mentioned accomplishments in the draft. FA and UFA. his putting together a good team led by Modrak, his great management of the business side of the Bills for Ralph and him reversing the two big mistakes of his era by hiring MM after the GW era and cutting Bledsoe after foolishly restructuring, shoe TD to be a mixed bag but he is on a roll recently and things seem to be moving in the right direction.

Who knows why some posters refuse to see all of reality and focus only on the stupid things he has done when they were done earlier than more recent good moves? Who knows, but it probably says more about that poster than about TD.

2. If there are so many good things to point to why have we not yet made the playoffs?

Thia is a good question and the best answer for those whose panties are up in a wad over this qustion which there is no possible way to answer until December when the Bills either make the playoffs or not is simply just wait.

I think we have failed to make the playoffs because TD's initial errors combined with a need to retool after Butler meant it would have been quite surprsing if we had even made the playoffs before 2004. Most teams need a couple of years at least of cap hell before they get free of all the bonuses and old contracts of the old guard (some teams are such bad managers like AZ or CIN before Lewis brought even adequacy to them to be perpetually in cap hell). It seems counter to reality that some folks want to describe TD's cap mamagement task when he came here as easy and anyone could do it.Look at how long some of the teams with better records of achievement like SF or Oak have meandered in cap hell and really think about how simple and straightforward this is. it was clear that 2001 was going to be a lost season and was very impressive that we legitimately were a 500 team in 2002. 2003 saw a result that one can honestly blame on TD as we saw the results of both his lousy hire of GW and the good performance of Bledsoe in 2002 came back to bite us in 2003 because GW could not get control of the O and get Kevin Killdrive to diversify the O and opponents used tape review and the roadmap provided by Belicheck to neutralize the Bledsoe led O.

I think we have failed to make the playoffs because we are still reeling from the non-management of the OL by GW, his dumb OC hires like the not-ready Sheppard and the talented but wouded Killdrive, and his two failed OL coaches.

However, the prospects are good. MM brought Clements with him (apparently the TD choice to replace Sheppard but he seemed so intent of allowing GW to make his own bed that he accepted the GW choice of Killdrive and we did well until opponents got enough tape and BB provided a roadmap for how to undress Bledsoe). MM not only turned around O production once he got control of things (it took the first 4 losses and seemed to coincide with him establishing what he wated by cutting OK player Shaw because Shaw was not contributing because like it or not he was the #5 WR.

We finally put up a winning record last year and since I think we lost to Pitts in part because our coaches did not get the same production from the team they got during the winnng streak, but both coaches and players should have learned valuable lessons from this loss, we can do better this year.

If either Ron or Tim can't be the run stuffer that Pat was, our D is in big trouble.  :P

387567[/snapback]

I don't think it will be. Yes our run defense will drop a few notches however I believe in todays nfl it's critical to have a dt who can collapse the pocket and bring pressure from the inside, Especially against pocket passers. If Edwards or Anderson can bring the interior rush aspect that pat williams couldn't I think our defense will actually be better.

A very accurate description.  I saw Anderson play 4 years at OSU and to me he was the cornerstone of a D-Line that saw all 4 players drafted high, including Will Smith in the first round.  Smith got all the pub, but Anderson routinely graded out better.

387448[/snapback]

Go Bucks! I agree he is going to be a sleeper this year...