Can Parrish be the next in line with slot success?

While it's unquestionable that Parrish was drafted to be the Bills third receiver, I don't think it's necessarily true that they plan to use him in the slot.  When we had Reed, Lofton, and Beebe, we'd go to three WR sets that put Reed in the slot and used Beebe as a flanker or split end - I can see the same thing done with Parrish and Moulds.  Burners split out wide in Evans and Parrish, with Moulds lining up in the slot, ready to make the 7 yard catch on 3rd and 6.  If Moulds draws a top cover-guy or double coverage inside, then you have Evans and Parrish open deep with big-play opportunities.  This makes sense if you think that Moulds has lost a step speed-wise, and can excell as a possession receiver.

378635[/snapback]

True. I assume we will see all kinds of different variations and formations with those three.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so, but it will take a qb who notices and a line that gives a qb time to notice. 4.3 is not required in 10 - 15  yard patterns. I think they drafted him as Mould's replacement - in this business, having a big numbers guy fills the stands pretty much as well as a winning record does.

378631[/snapback]

Yes, no doubt the Bills offense will be a work in progress this year. Just look back to last season on how long it took McGahee and Evans to work their way into the starting lineup.

Losman will be there from day 1, but early on, the Bills will be a smash-mouth team.

Parrish's speed in the slot is more of a benefit after the catch that before it. That's why I don't think many teams will even try to bump him on the line. It's too risky.

I'm not sure that Parrish is Moulds replacement though. He's more of a Randle El-type receiver than a Moulds-type guy. Once Moulds leaves, the Bills will need to either draft or sign a big possession receiver to go along with Evans. Parrish is more of an x-factor type of guy.

Parrish's speed in the slot is more of a benefit after the catch that before it.  That's why I don't think many teams will even try to bump him on the line.  It's too risky.

378642[/snapback]

I'm confused...If I knock him on his fanny within the 5-yard legal zone, the only way he can use his speed is to get up off the carpet quickly, and the play is already over... :ph34r:

I'm confused...If I knock him on his fanny within the 5-yard legal zone, the only way he can use his speed is to get up off the carpet quickly, and the play is already over... :ph34r:

378649[/snapback]

Back to my comment about getting him off the line 3 out of 10 times. You can try to knock him down, but you better not miss, because if you do, it's Roscoe vs. the safeties; in other words, touchdown.

I don't think DCs will take that gamble too many times.

Back to my comment about getting him off the line 3 out of 10 times.  You can try to knock him down, but you better not miss, because if you do, it's Roscoe vs. the safeties; in other words, touchdown.

378653[/snapback]

If they don't bump him at the line it definately will be Parrish versus the safies.

Back to my comment about getting him off the line 3 out of 10 times.  You can try to knock him down, but you better not miss, because if you do, it's Roscoe vs. the safeties; in other words, touchdown.

378653[/snapback]

Why not? If I were a DC, I'd throw a hungry back-up LB in his face the 2nd time he showed up and give him a valuable lesson in self-esteem... :ph34r:

Why not? If I were a DC, I'd throw a hungry back-up LB in his face the 2nd time he showed up and give him a valuable lesson in self-esteem... :P

378662[/snapback]

I don't think you would be a DC for long! :ph34r:

If they don't bump him at the line it definately will be Parrish versus the safies.

378660[/snapback]

Not really. They could play off the line 7-10 yards, zone up the coverage and keep him under control.

Most DCs will probably do this to make Losman beat them with a bunch of passes, rather than risking a mistake that lets him beat them with one pass.

Not really.  They could play off the line 7-10 yards, zone up the coverage and keep him under control. 

Most DCs will probably do this to make Losman beat them with a bunch of passes, rather than risking a mistake that lets him beat them with one pass.

378673[/snapback]

Probably so. Once teams stopped blitzing Big Ben, he really started to struggle. The lesson was probably learned, especially when it comes to QBs who are mobile. I don't think anyone will just blitz all day to rattle them any more.

I really do hope Parrish is the 3rd down beast we all believe he can be.  I am concerned w/ his size and his ability to get off the line.  But, if he can handle that, he'll probably do well in the slot for the Bills.

378670[/snapback]

I do, too. I suspect like having to deal with a near-rookie qb, the coaching staff is going to have to rise to the occasion. That's the key this season IMO.

Probably so.  Once teams stopped blitzing Big Ben, he really started to struggle.  The lesson was probably learned, especially when it comes to QBs who are mobile.  I don't think anyone will just blitz all day to rattle them any more.

378678[/snapback]

Yeah, I think we all assume that the best way to defense young, inexperienced guys is to beat the hell out of them.

But most young players excel at the physical side of the game, but they struggle with the mental part of the game.

Most savvy DCs realize that and try to force young players into mistakes by disguising coverages.

Actually, Parrish is a 2nd rounder.  And if my 2nd rounder with 4.3 speed causes the defender to whiff 3 out of 10 times on the chuck, I'll take it, because that's probably 3 TDs.

Parrish will need to work himself into the lineup, but when he does, the Bills will have two sub 4.4 guys on the field who can catch.  At that point, the Bills offense will dictate coverages to the defense, not the other way around.

378621[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. Any opponent of the Bills is going to have fits game planning against our 3 wr set. Both Evans and Parrish can catch as well as having blazing speed.

Add to all of this the fact that Parrish can throw the ball. He was perhaps the most explosive running and passing quarterback in the state of Florida during the 2000 season, passing for 2,201 yards.

Why not? If I were a DC, I'd throw a hungry back-up LB in his face the 2nd time he showed up and give him a valuable lesson in self-esteem... :ph34r:

378662[/snapback]

That's implying that there are LBers out there who can hit a guy lining up 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage - there ain't any that I can think of. He'll give the guy a hip and be by him before he ever crosses the line.

It's much easier to jolt an outside receiver than a slot guy. Parrish in motion is going to be a witch for even an experienced corner to stay with. His quickness is even more impressive than his top speed.

That's implying that there are LBers out there who can hit a guy lining up 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage - there ain't any that I can think of.  He'll give the guy a hip and be by him before he ever crosses the line.

It's much easier to jolt an outside receiver than a slot guy.  Parrish in motion is going to be a witch for even an experienced corner to stay with.  His quickness is even more impressive than his top speed.

378890[/snapback]

I see your point.

But if a slot gnat stung me once, I'll be happy to suffer a 5-yard offside penalty to mistakenly flatten said.