Bills want a conditional 2nd for Travis

MBD, there are different ways to look at it, no?

For example, let's say for the sake of arguement that the best TH could bring was a 5th. TD might choose to cut him rather than to let a fellow GM, in his mind, "get over" on him. This same opposing GM who offered the 5th could lose TH to another team if he was cut and a UFA.

I make the case that GMs are in constant competition, and can never appear to be weak. I think that TD would at least possibly sacrifice a pick that he deems non-worthy if taking a late round pick would make him appear to be a GM who "caves" in front of his peers. GMs need to look ahead at the next possible trade, often with the same peers.

That said, I am utterly convinced that TH will NOT be on the Bills this season.

Do you see where I am going? My theory isn't easy to explain on a message board.  <_<

379334[/snapback]

yeah - I can see the logic.

Letting him go for nothing is better than getting some copensation for him and will sure show those other GMs who's the better poker player. :P

More likely TD will keep him and let him rot on the bench to show those other GMs he meant what he said about not "giving" Travis away for nomimal compensation.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBD, there are different ways to look at it, no?

For example, let's say for the sake of arguement that the best TH could bring was a 5th. TD might choose to cut him rather than to let a fellow GM, in his mind, "get over" on him. This same opposing GM who offered the 5th could lose TH to another team if he was cut and a UFA.

I make the case that GMs are in constant competition, and can never appear to be weak. I think that TD would at least possibly sacrifice a pick that he deems non-worthy if taking a late round pick would make him appear to be a GM who "caves" in front of his peers. GMs need to look ahead at the next possible trade, often with the same peers.

That said, I am utterly convinced that TH will NOT be on the Bills this season.

Do you see where I am going? My theory isn't easy to explain on a message board.  <_<

379334[/snapback]

You do realize that you are insane, and that makes zero sense, don't you? Doesn't cutting Henry after being offered a 5th (neither of which will happen, btw) make TD look weak to EVERYONE? Don't all GMs get over him on that, by not making a trade? Doesn't he look "gotten over" by getting nothing when he was offered something? Don't all GMs looking forward to the next trade now say why cave to TD, just wait a few weeks he will cut the guy? Is there no end to how stupid that sounds to cut him?

Re-read my post (#57) Bill. Either TD gets what he wants in a trade, or he keeps Travis. He will NOT be traded for a measly 5th rounder, or even a 4th rounder, and he will NOT be cut, since both moves would indicate defeat and give the other GM's what they wanted anyway, which was Travis free and clear. I can't make it any more plain than that.

You do realize that you are insane, and that makes zero sense, don't you? Doesn't cutting Henry after being offered a 5th (neither of which will happen, btw) make TD look weak to EVERYONE? Don't all GMs get over him on that, by not making a trade? Doesn't he look "gotten over" by getting nothing when he was offered something? Don't all GMs looking forward to the next trade now say why cave to TD, just wait a few weeks he will cut the guy? Is there no end to how stupid that sounds to cut him?

379382[/snapback]

>>>>To me, TD has three choices: get what he wants (or some form of it without losing face) from someone now; If not, sit it and and say "If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I'm not giving the guy away." Option 3: Okay...here...you take him for a fifth. I was just kidding about that whole "conditional second" thing, oh, and any chance I've ever had to negotiate with anyone for the rest of my life is shot to hell.<<<<<

Does this sound more "sane?' This was posted by LA Bills approx. 1 hour after my post. Note "Option 3."

LA is dead on correct. TD has to co-exist with these other GMs, and is in a position where he would lose credibility if he blinked and accepted a late round pick. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

TD IS a great poker player, but he is in a tight spot. TH is an off-field incident away from seeing his trade value plummet. An "incident" could come in the form of an injury, arrest, etc. Remember, we are not speaking of a rocket scientist.

Frankly, I wish some team WOULD offer up a 3rd so we could close the ugly, losing page of Travis Henry.

The thing is, it is just not happening, rumors notwithstanding. At least not yet, and the draft was long ago.

>>>>To me, TD has three choices: get what he wants (or some form of it without losing face) from someone now; If not, sit it and and say "If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I'm not giving the guy away." Option 3: Okay...here...you take him for a fifth. I was just kidding about that whole "conditional second" thing, oh, and any chance I've ever had to negotiate with anyone for the rest of my life is shot to hell.<<<<<

Does this sound more "sane?' This was posted by LA Bills approx. 1 hour after my post. Note "Option 3."

LA is dead on correct. TD has to co-exist with these other GMs, and is in a position where he would lose credibility if he blinked and accepted a late round pick. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

You left out the part of LA's post where he says that "Option 3" WILL NEVER HAPPEN. And he's right. Like I said, TD will hang-onto Travis if he doesn't get a deal he likes, if nothing more than to spite the other GM's who would love nothing more than to see him release Travis, if not to SPITE Travis and his agent. When you accept this fact Bill, it becomes only a 2 option scenario: trade him or keep him.

TD IS a great poker player, but he is in a tight spot. TH is an off-field incident away from seeing his trade value plummet. An "incident" could come in the form of an injury, arrest, etc. Remember, we are not speaking of a rocket scientist.

You forgot to mention getting hit by a bus or spontaneous combustion. <_<

Frankly, I wish some team WOULD offer up a 3rd so we could close the ugly, losing page of Travis Henry.

The thing is, it is just not happening, rumors notwithstanding. At least not yet, and the draft was long ago.

Thank goodness the draft is over. It totally inflated the RB market, with unproven players who have yet to play a down in the NFL. But I guess to some, that's better than someone who's shown they can pay in the NFL. :P

A deal will get done. Where there's smoke, there's fire, and it's gettin' hot in here. :P