Ann Arbor

O, we don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan

The whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan

We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan, we're from Ohio

Anyone here from around Ann Arbor, MI?

375687[/snapback]

One of my nephews lived there for two years - 2001 thru 2003 IIRC. Like most places, there are some shady crime-ridden areas. Call the local cops and get the lowdown before you find a place.

I have a friend that lives north of Lancing who comments that housing costs in Ann Arbor are at a premium right now.

375808[/snapback]

More so than elsewhere in this country? This ridiculous real estate boom is screwing the young folks like myself, I must say.

I lived in Ann Arbor from in 91 and 92. Housing market was inflated relative to most areas in Michigan. There was a not-very-well-publicized concern about a possible serial rapist in the downtown area (e.g., not far from Kerrytown), other than that it's a college town so a lot of thefts, drugs, and underage drinking. The Law School is on Central Campus and that probably isn't the best area to live unless you want close access to the bars. North Campus area is much nicer, and the bus system is excellent for getting to Central Campus. My second year I lived in Ypsilanti, (near Washtenaw and 23) which had a much more reasonable cost of living.

I lived in Ann Arbor from in 91 and 92.  Housing market was inflated relative to most areas in Michigan.  There was a not-very-well-publicized concern about a possible serial rapist in the downtown area (e.g., not far from Kerrytown), other than that it's a college town so a lot of thefts, drugs, and underage drinking.  The Law School is on Central Campus and that probably isn't the best area to live unless you want close access to the bars.  North Campus area is much nicer, and the bus system is excellent for getting to Central Campus.  My second year I lived in Ypsilanti, (near Wastenaw and 23) which had a much more reasonable cost of living.

375815[/snapback]

Thanks. Is there public transportation from Ypsilanti if I cannot get parking?

Thanks. Is there public transportation from Ypsilanti if I cannot get parking?

375819[/snapback]

Not sure. I just drove to North Campus and then took the bus from there if I needed to get to Central Campus. It's only a 5-10 minute drive taking the back roads. I stayed in an apartment community that was on the North side of Washtenaw, just East of 23. That area has developed very nicely over the past few years with a new shopping mall and organic grocery store.

Parking has been expanded significantly on North Campus since I was there. I was in the Engineering school -- not sure about the logisitcs of someone in the Law School trying to get a parking pass on North Campus.

BTW -- Congrats on getting into the Law School! It's a great school. (Then again most schools at UMich are great, unlike UDonkey's scholastically absent program to the Southeast).

O, we don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan

The whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan

We don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan, we're from Ohio

375789[/snapback]

Ignore Ohio State fans cockiness. Every time they look at the win loss records vs each other it's hard to feel good and so they sing a stupid song and hope it will go away. Go Blue

BTW -- Congrats on getting into the Law School!  It's a great school.  (Then again most schools at UMich are great, unlike UDonkey's scholastically absent program to the Southeast).

375832[/snapback]

Thanks, not sure how it happened as I thought I was lucky to get on the wait list. A week or so ago, though, they called me to offer me a spot. I just wish the news had come earlier and I could have been prepared.

Ignore Ohio State fans cockiness. Every time they look at the win loss records vs each other it's hard to feel good and so they sing a stupid song and hope it will go away. Go Blue

375925[/snapback]

Well, the MI fans do have a slight edge when it comes to arson. :lol:

Well, the MI fans do have a slight edge when it comes to arson. :lol:

375932[/snapback]

Come on man hear in Columbus the students burn 1 car per 50 on gameday win or lose. That's what I call team spirit. :lol:

I just graduated Michigan. Living in Ypsi is a good idea if you have a car. If you want to stay within walking distance, look claser to Main St. or further down State St. Basically, the farther from campus, the cheaper it will be. Oh, and don't look southeast of campus. It's ridiculously expensive.

Anyone here from around Ann Arbor, MI?

375687[/snapback]

I still live in Michigan and lived 20 minutes from Ann Arbor for most my life. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

That said I have to disagree with MichFan, maybe in the early 90's Ypsilanti was an ok place to live, but the way it is now it's hard to imagine it ever being nice. While some of the areas I'm about to list are a little pricier then others they're all within 20 minutes of Ann Arbor. Obviously you get what you pay for so Ypsilanti would be cheaper then these cities. But reasonably priced living options do exist in these areas and for the most part it would be much cheaper then Ann Arbor (notoriously expensive).

Livonia

Canton

Plymouth

Farmington

Farmington Hills

Novi

All the places listed are very suburban type areas, you have some other options in the area if you don't mind being in the sticks. It would also help if you gave me a budget as I’ve been looking for places to move in those areas the past year and could give you some ideas.

I still live in Michigan and lived 20 minutes from Ann Arbor for most my life. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

That said I have to disagree with MichFan, maybe in the early 90's Ypsilanti was an ok place to live, but the way it is now it's hard to imagine it ever being nice.  While some of the areas I'm about to list are a little pricier then others they're all within 20 minutes of Ann Arbor. Obviously you get what you pay for so Ypsilanti would be cheaper then these cities.  But reasonably priced living options do exist in these areas and for the most part it would be much cheaper then Ann Arbor (notoriously expensive).

Livonia

Canton

Plymouth

Farmington

Farmington Hills

Novi

All the places listed are very suburban type areas, you have some other options in the area if you don't mind being in the sticks. It would also help if you gave me a budget as I’ve been looking for places to move in those areas the past year and could give you some ideas.

375951[/snapback]

Mike, the area I'm describing is the far West outskirts of Ypsilanti, an area that feels more like an extension of Ann Arbor than Ypsi. I was just back at the Washtenaw/23 area this past football season and it has been vastly improved since I lived there, and it was pretty nice at the time. Not disagreeing that the deeper into Ypsi you get, there are some bad areas (especially with the GM situation). The places you listed would be long hauls to Ann Arbor everyday -- anywhere from 30-45 minutes if traffic is moving okay.

Mike, the area I'm describing is the far West outskirts of Ypsilanti, an area that feels more like an extension of Ann Arbor than Ypsi.  I was just back at the Washtenaw/23 area this past football season and it has been vastly improved since I lived there, and it was pretty nice at the time.  Not disagreeing that the deeper into Ypsi you get, there are some bad areas (especially with the GM situation).  The places you listed would be long hauls to Ann Arbor everyday -- anywhere from 30-45 minutes if traffic is moving okay.

376158[/snapback]

Well I can't disagree with your points, and in all honesty you probably know much more about Ypsilanti then me. My time in Ypsi has been mostly spent visiting friends that went to Eastern, and IMO the surrounding areas by Eastern Michigan are junk. Maybe other parts of Ypsilanti are much nicer, like I said you’re probably much more knowledgeable about that.

As for the some of the cities I mentioned traffic down M-14 can be a bit tricky, especially during rush hour. I grew up in Livonia and from my house it was between 20-25 miles to the big house. A couple of those cities are closer to Ann Arbor then Livonia is, but I would have to agree that the drive would become very tedious after a couple months.

In any event its just another option so good luck on the search JohnnyB