Jimi Hendrix

Is his version offensive?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Is his version offensive?

• yes
    • no

To me personally it is not offensive.

I was at a Community July 4th Celebration in Albany yesterday (Clifton Park to be exact), and there were a few thousand folks there. Maybe a couple thousand in the immediate vicininty where a band was playing. they played two sets and when they started the second set they opened with Hendrix' version of the National Anthem. As i was walking back to my seat, i heard more than a few people saying, "this is offensive".

I am just curious. Is it that the version of the song was offensive? Or was it maybe not the best setting for the band to choose to play it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a Community July 4th Celebration in Albany yesterday (Clifton Park to be exact), and there were a few thousand folks there.  Maybe a couple thousand in the immediate vicininty where a band was playing.  they played two sets and when they started the second set they opened with Hendrix' version of the National Anthem.  As i was walking back to my seat, i heard more than a few people saying, "this is offensive". 

I am just curious.  Is it that the version of the song was offensive?  Or was it maybe not the best setting for the band to choose to play it?

374987[/snapback]

In 1981 SUNY Binghampton hosted the SUNYAC Swimming championships. The head coach of Binghampton invited everyone to rise while the national anthem performed by James Hendrix was played. As we started to stand I am thinking to myself this cant be the Jimmi Hendrix anthem so I must not have heard right. About 1/2 through the song the coach pulled the record and apologized to the entire crowd. I guessed this was the idea of the seniors on his team and he was totally embarrassed by the anthem since I guess he had never heard of it before. Just about everyone I talked to that weekend thought it was totally inappropriate and was glad they werent members of the Binghampton swim team.

I was at a Community July 4th Celebration in Albany yesterday (Clifton Park to be exact), and there were a few thousand folks there.  Maybe a couple thousand in the immediate vicininty where a band was playing.  they played two sets and when they started the second set they opened with Hendrix' version of the National Anthem.  As i was walking back to my seat, i heard more than a few people saying, "this is offensive". 

I am just curious.  Is it that the version of the song was offensive?  Or was it maybe not the best setting for the band to choose to play it?

374987[/snapback]

No matter what anyone says or does, someone will find a way to be offended. A community Fourth of July celebration was probably not the best venue to play that version, but I am the last person to prevent the organizers of an event from playing any version.

FWIW, the guitarist from my band always played that version at our concerts. He was a HUGE Hendrix fan. If you closed your eyes and just listened to his playing, you would swear that it was Hendrix. RIP Mike. :)

Do we really need the national Anthem before sporting events?

I like the National Anthem, but I never understood the need to

play it before every sporting event.

375002[/snapback]

I cant imagine a sporting event without the national anthem.

Yeah, let's be offended by someone playing our National Anthem on an instrument. I'll take "How to tell our nation has it too good" for $100 please, Alex.

I've been disgusted by only one rendition of the national anthem in my life. It was done in kind of a "barbershop quartet meets hip-hop" style and they got the words wrong. It was also about twice as long as it should have been. Nice try, no dice.

Yeah, let's be offended by someone playing our National Anthem on an instrument.  I'll take "How to tell our nation has it too good" for $100 please, Alex.

I've been disgusted by only one rendition of the national anthem in my life.  It was done in kind of a "barbershop quartet meets hip-hop" style and they got the words wrong.  It was also about twice as long as it should have been.  Nice try, no dice.

375021[/snapback]

Then you're lucky you never heard the Rossane Barr version. She should have been shot.