OT Live 8

It seems to me like this is going to be a pretty cool event. I am the last guy that should be talking about the politics of the whole deal, but the music is what is getting me excited. McCartney, Jagger, Elton, U2, Coldplay, and the most important one for me....Pink Floyd. Not to mention that Richard Ashcroft (formerly of The Verve) will be joining Coldplay on stage for "Bittersweet Symphony".

So, is anyone as interested in this as me? It seems like a great day of music.

And for all you Floyd fans, they are playing three songs - Money, Comfortably Numb, and Wish You Were Here. I wonder how good they will perform, seeing that they havent played together in over 20 years!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish there weren't so many terrible artists there.  What sucks is that I'll have to watch all day since Pink Floyd won't be on until close to the end.

373529[/snapback]

So they won't be shown live? The uk show started hours ago...I'm so confused. :devil:

So they won't be shown live? The uk show started hours ago...I'm so confused.  :devil:

373533[/snapback]

Philadelphia is live and so is London. They are flashing back to the artists that already played in London- U2, Coldplay etc. I think Floyd is later, so they will be live.

Pink Floyd will be on sometime around 6 pm eastern I believe. 

Hearing them talk about Gilmour and Waters just hanging out backstage is just giving me chills.

373539[/snapback]

Thanks.

I can still go to the beach, come home and watch Pink Floyd perform. Not a bad day.

20 years ago Live Aid raised money to alleviate a famine. Today Live 8 wants the world's wealthy nations to somehow solve extreme poverty in Africa. It's a noble cause, but is it realistic without solving the real problem?

Most of the debt that these poor countries ran up was done by their corrupt rulers to finance their lavish lifestyles. Sure, the USA and the rest of the world can write off their debts, but what will that change? As an African activist interviewed on NPR said yeasterday, it's like "giving a drunk sailor your credit cards." Would any money or aid find it's way to the people who need it if their corrupt rulers can divert it?

If Geldoff and Bono really wanted to help Africa, they would call out the Robert Mugabe's, the murderous muslim rulers in Sudan, and the rest of the scum ruining the continent of Africa, and demand their resignations!

PTR

20 years ago Live Aid raised money to alleviate a famine.  Today Live 8 wants the world's wealthy nations to somehow solve extreme poverty in Africa.  It's a noble cause, but is it realistic without solving the real problem?

Most of the debt that these poor countries ran up was done by their corrupt rulers to finance their lavish lifestyles.  Sure, the USA and the rest of the world can write off their debts, but what will that change?  As an African activist interviewed on NPR said yeasterday, it's like "giving a drunk sailor your credit cards."  Would any money or aid find it's way to the people who need it if their corrupt rulers can divert it?

If Geldoff and Bono really wanted to help Africa, they would call out the Robert Mugabe's, the murderous muslim rulers in Sudan, and the rest of the scum ruining the continent of Africa, and demand their resignations! 

PTR

373588[/snapback]

Yeah, but PINK FLOYD IS PLAYING.

I could really care less about the politics of this concert, I agree with you however.

Outspoken Noel Gallagher has launched an astonishing attack on Live 8,

claiming it is a waste of time.

The Oasis star says next month's extravaganza is a pointless exercise that

won't help ease world debt because politicans won't listen.

Rock stars, says Noel, do not have the influence to change the minds of the

world's biggest politicans - and singing a few songs isn't going to help.

In his usual cutting way, Noel went into one.

He said: "Correct me if I am wrong, but are they hoping that one of these

guys from the G8 is going to see Annie Lennox singing Sweet Dreams and think

'f**k me, she might have a point there'.

"Or Keane doing Somewhere Only We Know and some Japanese businessman looks at him and says 'we should really drop that debt, you now'.

"It isn't going to happen is it?"

If you are truly concerned about debt get on Google and read up on how The Federal Reserve was formed, who runs it, who profits and how our National Debt was created. Then let's have a concert with Bob Dylan, Barbara Streisand and The Beastie Boys to end that.

I hope we get to see Pink Floyd, or any act in these concerts, for more than a minute before some VH1 or MTV bimbo jumps on the air to tell us how awesome this show is. Hey, if it's so awesome, why not let us see it, huh?

This is a microcosm of what MTV has become...anything-but-Music Television.

PTR

I hope we get to see Pink Floyd, or any act in these concerts, for more than a minute before some VH1 or MTV bimbo jumps on the air to tell us how awesome this show is.  Hey, if it's so awesome, why not let us see it, huh? 

This is a microcosm of what MTV has become...anything-but-Music Television.

PTR

373638[/snapback]

Yep MTV is a joke. Their coverage has been horrible, I just want to see Floyd play their 3 songs and then they can go back to showing 30 second clips of Madonna or whoever.

Think their coverage of this is bad? You should have seen their coverage of Woodstock '99. They did a good job in '94, but '99 they almost went out of their way to bash the event while it was going on. And after all the trouble, they were like a propaganda machine trying to run it down.