Who's seen War of the Worlds?

No way would they use the same theme as the original. Probably a soundtrack by John Williams or Hans Zimmer, thought if its Spielberg, probably Williams.

371703[/snapback]

Good thought, it's a given now that if it's Spielberg, it's Williams.

Williams will do every Spielberg film until he dies. In fact, he's done every Spielberg full length feature film, except one.

TRIVIA: Which one was it?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen WOTW yet, but it's hard to argue with a score by John Williams -- quite possibly one of the greatest composers (of a classical genre, not modern) of our era. Kinda like dismissing a film by Spielberg because it's a remake of DeMille.

Good thought, it's a given now that if it's Spielberg, it's Williams.

Williams will do every Spielberg film until he dies.  In fact, he's done every Spielberg full length feature film, except one.

TRIVIA: Which one was it?

371719[/snapback]

Was it that Spielberg starter movie, duel I think?

Stayed true to the book? Sorry but I dont remember the Martians landing in a lightening bolt, or posessing force fields to protect their fighting machines. However, if you watch the 1950's version of the War of the Worlds you wont have to spend your money to see the Tom Cruise version. They are virtually identical. I almost got up and walked out when they said the fighting machines were protected by a 'force field'. Even some of the dialogue is lifted directly from the Gene Barry version of War of the Worlds. At the end of the movie when the Martians have succumbed to bacteria one of the fighting machines is laying in the street, the hatch opens and an arm slowly falls from the open hatch. Gee, same scene to a 't' as in the 1950's movie. The screen writer should be slapped- he added a few flourishes to a movie that was already written.

Spielberg would have been better served had he made the movie as a period piece, placed in the 1800's as in the book. He could have still dazzled us with his special effects but we wouldnt be subjected to the worn and over used "force field we cant penetrate" gag.

If you want a good WOTW experience try these audio recordings:

Orson Wells 1930's broadcast, or Jeff Wayne's musical version.

Stayed true to the book?  Sorry but I dont remember the Martians landing in a lightening bolt, or posessing force fields to protect their fighting machines.  However, if you watch the 1950's version of the War of the Worlds you wont have to spend your money to see the Tom Cruise version.  They are virtually identical.  I almost got up and walked out when they said the fighting machines were protected by a 'force field'.  Even some of the dialogue is lifted directly from the Gene Barry version of War of the Worlds.  At the end of the movie when the Martians have succumbed to bacteria one of the fighting machines is laying in the street, the hatch opens and an arm slowly falls from the open hatch.  Gee, same scene to a 't' as in the 1950's movie.  The screen writer should be slapped- he added a few flourishes to a movie that was already written.

Spielberg would have been better served had he made the movie as a period piece, placed in the 1800's as in the book.  He could have still dazzled us with his special effects but we wouldnt be subjected to the worn and over used "force field we cant penetrate" gag.

371773[/snapback]

:P my enthusiasm to see it has cooled a lot now

Stayed true to the book?  Sorry but I dont remember the Martians landing in a lightening bolt, or posessing force fields to protect their fighting machines. 

371773[/snapback]

I meant by the major plotlines. The main theme of the book and the movie are definitely the same, and the ending in the book is virtually the same.

Also, the seen where Cruise and Robbins are fighting in the basement is simlar to the seen where the main character in the book is buried in the house with the other guy (I know it wasn't Ogilvy though). The heat wave was retained as well, which I was very happy about. And the ferry scene is like the water scene in the book, just on a much larger scale.

Liked the Movie.

Theatre was too cold for wearing shorts and a tropical shirt.

The young girl does a great job.

Tom Cruise can't act, but I got past that.

Great SFX, immersive.

Would be disturbing to most kids in elementary school. Don't take them.

Stayed true to the book?  Sorry but I dont remember the Martians landing in a lightening bolt, or posessing force fields to protect their fighting machines.  However, if you watch the 1950's version of the War of the Worlds you wont have to spend your money to see the Tom Cruise version.  They are virtually identical.  I almost got up and walked out when they said the fighting machines were protected by a 'force field'.  Even some of the dialogue is lifted directly from the Gene Barry version of War of the Worlds.  At the end of the movie when the Martians have succumbed to bacteria one of the fighting machines is laying in the street, the hatch opens and an arm slowly falls from the open hatch.  Gee, same scene to a 't' as in the 1950's movie.  The screen writer should be slapped- he added a few flourishes to a movie that was already written.

Spielberg would have been better served had he made the movie as a period piece, placed in the 1800's as in the book.  He could have still dazzled us with his special effects but we wouldnt be subjected to the worn and over used "force field we cant penetrate" gag.

371773[/snapback]

HEY JACKOFF, THANKS FOR THE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Liked the Movie.

Theatre was too cold for wearing shorts and a tropical shirt.

The young girl does a great job.

Tom Cruise can't act, but I got past that.

Great SFX, immersive.

Would be disturbing to most kids in elementary school. Don't take them.

371896[/snapback]

Dakota Fanning, the young girl in the movie, has a very solid career already and I think will be a huge star in the future. You can already tell she's going to be in Hollywood for a long time.

HEY JACKOFF, THANKS FOR THE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

371931[/snapback]

I guess you missed [MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW} ??? DUH

Dude, seriously your a D*CK in so many posts it's not funny........I really wish your internet connection died for a few years....