File sharing illegal - SC rules unanimously

This will probably be a pretty unpopular take on this, but I wonder what percentage of the actual artists even care if they're music is getting spread around for free (please don't use Metallica or Everclear as good examples).  It seems like the only ones upset about this are the record companies, who could be guilty for ruining commercial music today as it is.  I'm not condoning free swapping of downloaded music, but as a former musician, I wouldn't care.  I wonder what percentage of people actually go out and then buy other material by the artists.  I'm probably in the minority here.

369647[/snapback]

Good point. Many artists raised the price of their shows/concerts to offset file-sharing.

I'll bet a thousand bucks we don't see those prices drop.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. Many artists raised the price of their shows/concerts to offset file-sharing.

I'll bet a thousand bucks we don't see those prices drop.

369721[/snapback]

That's not the point I was trying to make.

But to answer your point, those artists raised their ticket prices because they saw how much money people were willing to pay for scalped tickets to their shows. Why can the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith charge $75 a ticket? Because people are willing to pay that to see them. When the tickets were $25, the shows were selling out, and people were buying scalped tickets for over $100. Ergo, they raised them. Their ticket prices are not related in any way to file sharing of their music.

That's not the point I was trying to make. 

But to answer your point, those artists raised their ticket prices because they saw how much money people were willing to pay for scalped tickets to their shows.  Why can the Rolling Stones or Aerosmith charge $75 a ticket?  Because people are willing to pay that to see them.  When the tickets were $25, the shows were selling out, and people were buying scalped tickets for over $100.  Ergo, they raised them.  Their ticket prices are not related in any way to file sharing of their music.

369728[/snapback]

I wasn't saying that was your point. I should have separated it when i said good point then started to ramble.

I've been to several shows where the artist has come out and said, "sorry ticket prices have gone up, but..."

I wasn't saying that was your point. I should have separated it when i said good point then started to ramble.

I've been to several shows where the artist has come out and said, "sorry ticket prices have gone up, but..."

369739[/snapback]

What artist said "Sorry your ticket prices are so high, but it's because you're stealing my music?" I don't buy that, Ed. Ticket prices are high becasue people are willing to pay that kind of money to see a show. Ticket prices are high because bands can't play live and need to bring a ton of equipment with them to mask that they suck and can't play live.

What artist said "Sorry your ticket prices are so high, but it's because you're stealing my music?"  I don't buy that, Ed.  Ticket prices are high becasue people are willing to pay that kind of money to see a show.  Ticket prices are high because bands can't play live and need to bring a ton of equipment with them to mask that they suck and can't play live.

369753[/snapback]

And what do you consider to be a "good" band. Of course all the millions of people who see these bands and buy there music have no clue on what is good. It only counts as good if you say so? Way to be a hypocrite.

I have to laugh when young people say that musicians are in it "for the music".

They are like everyone else. They do it to make money and get laid.

If you're good at it , you get tons of both.

Like GG said, for small-time artists, it's probably a good thing. Nothing prevents them from putting their songs on their websites, and I guess it would be fine for people to share those songs too. But we all know that isn't what's being done. SC's decision allows the industry to go after people who use it to break copyright law.

369676[/snapback]

No, industry always could do that. The SC decision allows them to go after companies facilitating the activity. It's a distinction that seems lost in the popular reporting, and IMO does not represent anything new but is rather an affirmation of existing copyright practice.

Consider a photocopy shop. Photocopy technology is ok, but facilitating theft is not. Their solution is usually (1) make you do your own copying, and (2) don't knowling let you do anything suspicious. The key point is that this is generally a corporate posture adopted to protect them from liability, and not a solution specified by law.

And what do you consider to be a "good" band.  Of course all the millions of people who see these bands and buy there music have no clue on what is good.  It only counts as good if you say so?  Way to be a hypocrite.

369757[/snapback]

How many of these acts actually play live, Bill? How many of these acts are actually canning a show and bringing it on the road? How many of these bands played small clubs, then mid-sized venues, then worked their way up to arenas? No, I don't call that good.

How many of these acts actually play live, Bill?  How many of these acts are actually canning a show and bringing it on the road?  How many of these bands played small clubs, then mid-sized venues, then worked their way up to arenas?  No, I don't call that good.

369766[/snapback]

Way to be avoid answering. I should have done that. <_<

So if file sharing is equivalent to a sniper rifle, does that mean downloading a song is equivalent to killing one Russian?  Ergo, breaking into a file cabinet is 30 million times worse than stealing copyrighted material? 

And what if the song sucks?  Or doesn't suck?  Or doesn't suck, but you don't like it?...

369609[/snapback]

Tracey Lee = Stalin.

I know it's wrong but I like it.

Tracey Lee = Stalin.

I know it's wrong but I like it.

369810[/snapback]

Actually it's more like GWB = Stalin. After all the libs are comparing gulags to Gitmo. I guess way overstating something is to get attention. I am guessing their mom had them on the teet until they were teenagers and are now suffering from lack of attention.

What artist said "Sorry your ticket prices are so high, but it's because you're stealing my music?"  I don't buy that, Ed.  Ticket prices are high becasue people are willing to pay that kind of money to see a show.  Ticket prices are high because bands can't play live and need to bring a ton of equipment with them to mask that they suck and can't play live.

369753[/snapback]

BNL, Ben Folds, Coldplay, Billy Joel, and Elliott Smith. Need I go on?

I agree with Johnny C on this one.

I don't think it is right to download free music, and I do not do so. But I think the recording industry is peeing down your back when the claim file sharing is ruining thier business. I think it more likely that like Hollywood, they are signing and promoting no-talent, flavor of the month, candy-@ss girl bands. But I really don't have an opinion on that. <_<

Way to be avoid answering.  I should have done that.  <_<

369770[/snapback]

Okay, William. A good band is one that writes and plays it's own music and has played crappy little clubs for only enough money to get a loaf of wonder bread and fill up the tank of their rusted out econo-van to get them to the next show. They've entertained the six people who show up to these gigs the first time around to get some play on a local college station so that the next time through maybe a couple hundred kids will show up, buy some T-shirts and 45s so they can buy ham to go with their wonder bread this time. Then they put out another record from the money they made on the tour, get more college radio play and get some indie industry buzz and do a bigger tour…maybe hit the European clubs which are way more into seeing club bands play and treat them like kings. Then they get some major label interest, play some great shows but piss off the big industry types because they’re too volatile and take too many drugs (industry wants the image of a bunch of alcoholic junkies, they can’t stomach the real thing). So they go back to touring in a van and they still have a handful of loyal fans because they never sold out, and stuck it to the man. That’s a good band. That band doesn’t care about file sharing.

Okay, William.  A good band is one that writes and plays it's own music and has played crappy little clubs for only enough money to get a loaf of wonder bread and fill up the tank of their rusted out econo-van to get them to the next show.  They've entertained the six people who show up to these gigs the first time around to get some play on a local college station so that the next time through maybe a couple hundred kids will show up, buy some T-shirts and 45s so they can buy ham to go with their wonder bread this time.  Then they put out another record from the money they made on the tour, get more college radio play and get some indie industry buzz and do a bigger tour…maybe hit the European clubs which are way more into seeing club bands play and treat them like kings.  Then they get some major label interest, play some great shows but piss off the big industry types because they’re too volatile and take too many drugs (industry wants the image of a bunch of alcoholic junkies, they can’t stomach the real thing). So they go back to touring in a van and they still have a handful of loyal fans because they never sold out, and stuck it to the man.  That’s a good band.  That band doesn’t care about file sharing.

369890[/snapback]

Does that mean they're good, or that you like them?