Imagine the potential consequences of this

We've been doing something like this with small drones in Afghanistan. A drone with one or two missles was controlled from Tampa, Fl. It flew around a building in Afghanistan where Taliban/ Al Quidea members were meeting, watching them enter. When they had all the members there, they shot the missle and blew up the building.

Probably not.  I know how I'd design the thing to make it unjammable as a practical matter (satellite LOS burst transmissions, semi-autonomous flight modes), and I have got to believe that Boeing can do a better job than I can...

362852[/snapback]

Off topic... I met a guy who maintained a satellite operating system for a living. He shared some interesting stories with me. Sometimes the satellite will get all foobar and just float in space. They would have to call him in to reboot the OS. He said every time he rebooted the OS it lost all its patches. So he would have to upload them from scratch.

We've been doing something like this with small drones in Afghanistan. A drone with one or two  missles was controlled from Tampa, Fl. It flew around a building  in Afghanistan where Taliban/ Al Quidea members were meeting, watching them enter. When they had all the members there, they shot the missle and blew up the building.

362923[/snapback]

Different drones...what you're talking about was a glorified recon drone; the strike capability is secondary. The UCAVs are purpose-built remotely piloted combat vehicles.

The recon drone (the Predator) was also controlled in-theater; the imagery was beamed back to Tampa, and the order to strike was given from there, but the actual operator was in Pakistan, I believe. That's turning out to be one of the bigger issues with the current technology, actually...the real-time imagery being beamed back to HQ is giving high-ranking officers the ability to very easily interfere in the field, which, as Johnson and McNamara proved in Vietnam, is a generally bad idea.

Off topic... I met a guy who maintained a satellite operating system for a living.  He shared some interesting stories with me.  Sometimes the satellite will get all foobar and just float in space.  They would have to call him in to reboot the OS.  He said every time he rebooted the OS it lost all its patches.  So he would have to upload them from scratch.

362932[/snapback]

That's what they get for using Windows! <_<

That's what they get for using Windows! :w00t:

363143[/snapback]

About six years ago, the USS Yorktown had a major power plant failure and had to be towed back into Norfolk for two days of repairs. The reason? As part of their manpower reduction initiatives, the Navy had "wisely" decided to automate their engineering plants with Windows NT 4.0 workstations...and one of the workstations experienced a divide-by-0 "blue screen of death" crash, taking down the engines and bringing the billion-dollar guided missile cruiser to a screeching halt.

:blink:

On the other hand, as long as there are men there are unfortunately going to be idiots starting wars.  So these things should be developed and handed out to all women and children, our beloved "collateral damage", to use as protection and defense.

362677[/snapback]

Are you overweight? You sound overweight.