The Catholic Church

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calvinism accepts that we are saved through the grace of God alone (because not even Christians are "worthy"), which leaves room for the interpretation that God can allow others into Heaven as he sees fit...who's to question God and his motives anyway?

363089[/snapback]

You are correct in saying that we are saved through the grace of God alone, but you are cutting a key component completely out. There is no “room for interpretation” as to who God allows into heaven.

If your interpretation is correct, how do you address these two verses: John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish but have eternal life” and then Ephesians 2:8 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God”.

For your interpretation, you must completely ignore the words in bold – the key action phrases in both of these verses. You can’t simply say it is through the grace of God alone – you must include the act of faith of believing that Christ died on the cross. To ignore that is to completely misunderstand Christianity.

Ephesians 2:8 is about as crystal clear as you can get – it is only through faith that we can be saved, but that saving faith is only possible because of a gift from God – grace extended to us as sinners.

But the logic does not necessarily follow that all non-Christians go to Hell, or the unofficial wishy-washy place called "limbo."  God will do what He wants and if He thinks a non-Christian belongs in Heaven, who are we to argue?

363089[/snapback]

It absolutely must follow that all non-Christians go to Hell. Scripture is God’s Word and scripture clearly indicates a non-Christian will not get into heaven (because he doesn’t believe). If you use your argument, you are arguing something that is in direct contrast to the teachings of Christ.

. . . . who's to question God and his motives anyway?  Yes he called the Jews "his chosen," and made the new covenant with them through his son Jesus Christ.

363089[/snapback]

No one is questioning God’s motive - the theology of saving grace through faith is direct from scripture. Finally, the new covenant which was brought about through Christ’s death on the cross was not made only with the Jews, as you indicate here. Read the New Testament – the new covenant is open to Jews and Gentiles (non-Jews) – God’s saving grace is open to anyone – as long as they have faith in Christ’s death on the cross.

Just thought I should clarify these points, because your initial statement was not a true description of Christianity and the theology of grace and faith according to scripture.

Anyway- that is not Catholic Theology.

364108[/snapback]

And according to Catholic theology only Catholics are in heaven. :devil:

Doesn't mean you don't go to purgatory asa jew, muslim, protestant, etc... But only Catholics are in heaven.

And according to Catholic theology only Catholics are in heaven.  :D

Doesn't mean you don't go to purgatory asa jew, muslim, protestant, etc...  But only Catholics are in heaven.

364129[/snapback]

I'm a non-practicing Catholic. Seems like a pretty sweet deal for me. Basically, according to the Catholic faith and becasue I was baptised a Catholic, I can pretty much do what I want (short of murder and grand larceny) while I'm alive, go to purgatory for a couple centuries, maybe do a stint in limbo, then get waved in behind the velvet rope into heaven. But a Jew or a Buddhist or whoever could be the most gracious, law-abiding, pious and devout person on the planet and they are hosed. Hardly seems fair, really.

I'm a non-practicing Catholic.  Seems like a pretty sweet deal for me.  Basically, according to the Catholic faith and becasue I was baptised a Catholic, I can pretty much do what I want (short of murder and grand larceny) while I'm alive, go to purgatory for a couple centuries, maybe do a stint in limbo, then get waved in behind the velvet rope into heaven.  But a Jew or a Buddhist or whoever could be the most gracious, law-abiding, pious and devout person on the planet and they are hosed.  Hardly seems fair, really.

364734[/snapback]

Works for me. And I can go to Mass in cutoffs and a T-shirt, and nobody cares. Try that in a Southern Baptist Church. Miss Ellie wouldn't give me a soda water the next week. Probably accuse me of mouthing the words to "In His Ever Loving Arms".

Works for me. And I can go to Mass in cutoffs and a T-shirt, and nobody cares. Try that in a Southern Baptist Church. Miss Ellie wouldn't give me a soda water the next week. Probably accuse me of mouthing the words to "In His Ever Loving Arms".

364739[/snapback]

Why go at all? It won't matter anyway in the grand scheme of things. I'm surprised they let that loophole get out. I'm shocked they get anybody to go at all.

Why go at all?  It won't matter anyway in the grand scheme of things.  I'm surprised they let that loophole get out.  I'm shocked they get anybody to go at all.

364740[/snapback]

I don't know that to be true. Perhaps, with all the religions in the world that profess to understand God, God is smart enough to know that all of them have their merits and their weaknesses. For those without a religion as well. Might not agree with or even understand their beliefs, but the point is - they believe. Maybe conviction of belief is what is important, here. I'm a little familiar with the ideas of some young, disillusioned people who are willing to blow themselves up for God...but, we've seen that before. As recently as 60 years ago and since. I don't believe that is what God wants, and I would hazard to guess that many use it for an excuse, but I think also that the one out of the very many that TRULY believe they were doing right by their God are not going to be denied. But, as it so often stands and gets repeated for inspection by history...you can always get a large group of gullible, desperate people to do idiotic things, then have your filet mignon if you know how to do it right. Those guys are the ones who don't have a shot. Not the ones wearing the vest. Enjoy it now, boys.

I think - voiced it before - that those who truly think it's all a bunch of hogwash give themselves and our paltry idea of "scientific understanding" WAY too much credit.

Does this make me simplistic, ignorant or looking for a crutch for my own problems? Who cares? I don't.

I don't do it as much as I used to, or maybe as much as I should, but I sometimes still pray.

And by that, I mean talking to the Big Guy. Not a Hail Mary. Not an Act of Contrition. Not an Our Father. Just talk.

FWIW, I sometimes have talked to him for some of you. And I DAMN sure know some of you have spoken to Him for me.

When I do get around to doing it, you're in my prayers as well. Back attcha. Does it hurt anything? I really hope not.

I'm a non-practicing Catholic.  Seems like a pretty sweet deal for me.  Basically, according to the Catholic faith and becasue I was baptised a Catholic, I can pretty much do what I want (short of murder and grand larceny) while I'm alive, go to purgatory for a couple centuries, maybe do a stint in limbo, then get waved in behind the velvet rope into heaven.  But a Jew or a Buddhist or whoever could be the most gracious, law-abiding, pious and devout person on the planet and they are hosed.  Hardly seems fair, really.

364734[/snapback]

We're gonna have a great time in Purgatory listening to the Ramones and tossing back some cold ones, brother.