I'm going on my White Water Rafting Trip

MUTiger

Me and 5 buddies go every year and this year it's going to be intense because of all the snow caps melting off the Rockies. Say a prayer for the Arkansas River boys cause I'm going to kick it's ass on Saturday!!!! I'm leaving for Colorodo in 4 hours and I'm so excited. CLass V rapids all the way down. Wish me luck

Me and 5 buddies go every year and this year it's going to be intense because of all the snow caps melting off the Rockies. Say a prayer for the Arkansas River boys cause I'm going to kick it's ass on Saturday!!!!  I'm leaving for Colorodo in 4 hours and I'm so excited.  CLass V rapids all the way down.  Wish me luck

360438[/snapback]

Have a blast. The waters were at level 4 last time I went.

Me and 5 buddies go every year and this year it's going to be intense because of all the snow caps melting off the Rockies. Say a prayer for the Arkansas River boys cause I'm going to kick it's ass on Saturday!!!!  I'm leaving for Colorodo in 4 hours and I'm so excited.  CLass V rapids all the way down.  Wish me luck

360438[/snapback]

How long is the trip? Being a east coast guy we do the Upper Gauley in WVA, but haven't done it in a few years. Those class Vs can kick your ass. Dumped once in the middle of one, so intense in the rapids the rest of the boat(i was in the back) didn't know I fell off until I got back in at an eddy about half way through the rapid. For those who know the Gauley, we were in Lost Paddle, which is about a mile long class V

I go every year with my old high school buddies. 2 Guys are in the army and just recently got back from Iraq so we usually don't have a say when in the summer we can go. Luckily this year they both are on leave right now which happens to be the high water time out Colorado. The trip runs from 9:00 a.m. to about 2-3pm depending on how fast the river is moving. Last year we went in August when water levels were much lower then this year. If you do the full day trip like we are doing this year (It's only $85 bucks a person), however our guide last year told us that unless the water is really high that the half day trip is the way to go. The reason for this is because the first part of the full day trip is a lot more mild than the second half. But when the water is high the class 2 and 3 rapids on the front stretch become class 3 & 4's and are a pretty good warm up for the second half. The second half of the trip is insane. It should be a lot of fun. Here is the company we use, they are really nice and do a great job:

Performance Tours

My friends and I have only done the Royal Gourge trip but it is a blast, Next summer we are going to do the Numbers trip

For any one who is interested in going whitewater on the east coast, the Gauley is just pure adreline rush. They run the river six weeks in the fall, and the water is always great as it lies below a dam that they release every weekend in the fall. As `a matter of fact, where the dam is being released is where you put in, and that is mighty impressive in and of itself.

If your interested, remeber you want the Upper and not the lower. Lot of differant outfits there with campgrouds, and bring a wetsuit if you have one. Theres can be kinda crungy.

Heres just a sample link.

http://www.songerwhitewater.com/gauleyriver.htm

360438[/snapback]

What kind of boat? Rubber raft? Kayak? High-rocker canoe?

My guide in Colorodo works the Gauley every fall. It's supposed to be the best on the east coast. I could be wrong but I remember him saying that in october it is really crazy there because they let down some damn and really raise the water levels. I have the sam guy this year, I'll ask him. We should plan a TBD white water trip. I'm in

My guide in Colorodo works the Gauley every fall.  It's supposed to be the best on the east coast.  I could be wrong but I remember him saying that in october it is really crazy there because they let down some damn and really raise the water levels.  I have the sam guy this year, I'll ask him.  We should plan a TBD white water trip.  I'm in

360466[/snapback]

See above, yea it is awesome. Only problem is it gets a little crowded on the weekends in the fall. If you can go on a friday, thats the ticket!

Have a great time and enjoy the water

My guide in Colorodo works the Gauley every fall.  It's supposed to be the best on the east coast.  I could be wrong but I remember him saying that in october it is really crazy there because they let down some damn and really raise the water levels.  I have the sam guy this year, I'll ask him.  We should plan a TBD white water trip.  I'm in

360466[/snapback]

WVA's Cheat is pretty good when it runs. The Yough has some good spots, too.

Been 20 years since, for me thought. :blush:

WVA's Cheat is pretty good when it runs. The Yough has some good spots, too.

Been 20 years since, for me thought. :blush:

360477[/snapback]

The Upper Yough can be good in the spring, really technical after that. Never been on the cheat. Lot of folks come from thr Cinci area to the Gauley in the fall

Next week, my family and I are going down the Main Salmon River in Idaho. 90 miles in four days...camping along the way. The rapids are supposed to be III/IV, so not as intense as yours, but since we are beginners, it's probably a good thing. The outfitter will provide the tents and make the meals, so it's the best way to camp!

We're going to go see Glacier NP before the raft trip, so we're heading out on Saturday. Can't wait!

Thanks.  I've never been, and a bunch of buddies and I were looking for a place to try it one summer weekend.  We figure camping, boozing, rafting etc. cause a bunch of turn the big 3-0 this year.

360506[/snapback]

Ya might not want to booze to heavy the night before. At the Gauley , I have seen guys get turned away and denied access to the river cause they smelled like booze. As they say, this is not Disneyland, and someone invaribly dies on the river at least once a year cause of stupidity. The Upper Yough can be just as dangerous, as there are some pretty hairy class Vs there as well. Now, the night after you raft, well that tends to be a pretty big booze fest, as your still on a high from the river

Any place within a 5 hour drive of NYC you guys can recommend?  WVA is pretty far.

360495[/snapback]

Check out the Deerfield river, its in western MA...probably 3.5 hours from NYC. Zoar ( http://www.zoaroutdoor.com/ ) is the outfitter you want up there. Probably 4 hours or so away, the Hudson up in the Adirondacks is a great run....look up Whitewater Challengers or Adirondack River Outfitters. But get up there soon...its been a dry spring, and the river is already pretty low.

Closer by, but not as exciting, there is the Lehigh River in PA. Its less than 2 hours from the NYC.

Ya might not want to booze to heavy the night before. At the Gauley , I have seen guys get turned away and denied access to the river cause they smelled like booze. As they say, this is not Disneyland, and someone invaribly dies on the river at least once a year cause of stupidity. The Upper Yough can be just as dangerous, as there are some pretty hairy class Vs there as well.  Now, the night after you raft, well that tends to be a pretty big booze fest, as your still on a high from the river

360513[/snapback]

There's a bunch of sedimentary rock on the Yough riverbed. It makes for several hydraulic traps at the churnings, but to the point for the tour rafters, one must lay on the back and drift if dumped in tbe quiescent parts - standing up can get a foot jammed under a shelf and then you go under.

Geologically, the area is named the Pittsburgh Alluvial - and that is where the coal came from; that strata.

Ya might not want to booze to heavy the night before. At the Gauley , I have seen guys get turned away and denied access to the river cause they smelled like booze. As they say, this is not Disneyland, and someone invaribly dies on the river at least once a year cause of stupidity. The Upper Yough can be just as dangerous, as there are some pretty hairy class Vs there as well. Now, the night after you raft, well that tends to be a pretty big booze fest, as your still on a high from the river

THE GAULEY, did it a couple of years ago. A guy died the week before we went.

I sat in front and got TOSSED out twice. What a work out. I did not noticed how tired I was until I got on the bus for the ride back to camp.

We used a company called http://www.riversresort.com/gauley.html.

THE GAULEY, did it a couple of years ago. A guy died the week before we went.

I sat in front and got TOSSED out twice. What a work out. I did not noticed how tired I was until I got on the bus for the ride back to camp.

We used a company called http://www.riversresort.com/gauley.html.

360636[/snapback]

Bunch of my friends and I did the New River through riversresort. We had a blast. Camping, rafting, and plenty of food (all included). We want to do the Gauley in the fall but being a teacher living in NY, thats kinda difficult for me. Definately a great time and want to do it again REAL soon!