The Philosophy of Political Thought

Posted (edited)

Episode 1…

I just wanted to bring up this topic because, it’s a little different than the every day back and forth, and it’s always just really fascinated me…

I’ve been a big fan of Jordan Peterson for quite some time now. I’ve read some of his books, I’ve watched countless interviews, and I’ve even seen him live.

Peterson has a real gift of being able to say things in such a way that really makes you think differently (than you ever have before) about the various topics he’s discussing.

One of the topics Peterson discussed that I found fascinating was when he talked about how, based on the science of psychology, you could essentially determine what political persuasion an individual was simply based on their temperament.

An individuals temperament, Peterson claimed, was based on masculine and feminine character traits that had been determined by the science of psychology.  An example of a masculine character trait would be assertiveness. An example of a feminine character trait would be passiveness.

Now this didn’t mean that all males were completely assertive or that all females were completely passive.  But what these character trait categorizations did was to give a broad overview of what each sex generally displayed.  As you go down the list of character traits you’ll realize that for each masculine trait, there is an opposite feminine trait, almost mimicking the never ending battle of the yin and yang of the universe…

…to be continued…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I remember seeing an article that said studies show a correlation between testosterone levels and your political persuasion. Lefties seem to be suffering from low T

Posted (edited)

Episode 2…

Yin and Yang represent the eternal struggle between chaos (feminine) and order (masculine) in the universe…

Peterson claims that those that identify with the political Right, exhibit character traits that align with the side of “order”…They typically have masculine character traits associated with discipline, logic, rationality…This is also why more males relate to things and are in the STEM fields, or mechanics…

He then claims that those that identify with the political Left, exhibit character traits with the side of “chaos” (but not in a negative sense)…They typically have feminine character traits associated with emotion, and empathy…This is why more females relate to people, and are in professions relating to people (ie nursing or teaching)…

The Left is good at empathizing with the down trodden, because they are more in touch with their emotions…They are good at identifying problems affecting people in society, where the Right typically is not.

However, the Right is better at solving those problems.  Their lack of emotion allows them to come up with logical solutions.  This is also why you tend to see more emotional outbursts from from people on the Left, although it may also occur on the Right.  It is just not the main strategy on the Right like it is the Left.

The bottom line, according to Peterson, is that you don’t want to be on either side of the Yin (Right, masculine) or Yang (Left, feminine).  Being firmly on either side leads to authoritarianism either by the masculine or feminine.

Where you want to be, Peterson claims, is riding the line between chaos and order.  It is only there where true harmony and peace lives.

Essentially, you want to have the chaos of the Left, so that society isn’t stagnant, and you are always progressing. But you also want the order of the Right so that society can function together, without unbridled change driving you off a cliff.

So, in conclusion, we all just need to realize the arguments and struggles we have in here are all part of a greater universal struggle.  And if we recognize that, it might help the world to come together.

Thanks for taking the time to read the long essay…I would love to hear any additional thoughts…👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• JaCrispy changed the title to The Philosophy of Political Thought