Any White Stripes fans?

Anyone had the opportunity to check out the White Stripes' new album, "Get Behind Me Satan"?? I've had it for a week now and I think I can officially say it's the best stuff they've put out yet. There aren't as many power-chord/driving rock tunes as on "White Blood Cells" or "Elephant"...well there is one. The opening track, "Blue Orchid" has power-chords that will make your bones vibrate.

Other than that, the album has a very unique sound to it. Piano, bells, marimbas, tambourine...it's very different from anything the duo has done so far and I love it.

Another new album I just picked is "Songs for Silverman", by Ben Folds. Also very good, if you're a fan of his. I'm also looking forward to picking up the new Foo Fighters one...some good music coming out this summer.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone had the opportunity to check out the White Stripes' new album, "Get Behind Me Satan"??  I've had it for a week now and I think I can officially say it's the best stuff they've put out yet.  There aren't as many power-chord/driving rock tunes as on "White Blood Cells" or "Elephant"...well there is one.  The opening track, "Blue Orchid" has power-chords that will make your bones vibrate.

Great CD. Love it!!

i never listened to them before, except for a couple radio hits. i listened to the new cd at work, and it was hard to get through. I gave it a chance, but I thought it was horrible. my ears will never forgive me for putting them through that torture.

sorry to sound harsh, but that's just my opinion of it.

i never listened to them before, except for a couple radio hits. i listened to the new cd at work, and it was hard to get through. I gave it a chance, but I thought it was horrible. my ears will never forgive me for putting them through that torture.

sorry to sound harsh, but that's just my opinion of it.

358880[/snapback]

2 person bands=RJ

2 person bands=RJ

358945[/snapback]

Normally I agree with this statement, but Jack White is like three guys in one. There are few active bands out there that pump out as much sound as the Stripes.

The one thing I like about them is that they dont;' have any trouble redefining themselves each time they put a CD out. So many band have one sound and just milk it for everything it is worth. The Stripes just keep coming up with new sounds. New sounds can take a little bit to catch on. Listen to this CD for a few days and it will grow on you.

Oh, and Gringo, you're right about De Stijl. That is by far their best album. Too bad so few people have bothered to pick it up.

IMO Jack White is pretty talented but also can't get away from gimmicks (bad drummer, red/white/black clothes, writing and recording an album in two weeks, marimba). The new album suffers for that. De Stijl and WBC are the best of theirs, I think. I saw them at a very, very late show at Mohawk right after WBC was released but not yet on MTV. People were so drunk by the time they went on (2am) that the crowd was pretty hostile. But they played well.

IMO Jack White is pretty talented but also can't get away from gimmicks (bad drummer, red/white/black clothes, writing and recording an album in two weeks, marimba).  The new album suffers for that.  De Stijl and WBC are the best of theirs, I think.  I saw them at a very, very late show at Mohawk right after WBC was released but not yet on MTV.  People were so drunk by the time they went on (2am) that the crowd was pretty hostile.  But they played well.

359061[/snapback]

I think she's a very good drummer. Really. And I'm not just saying that because of her signature uhm...bouncy style.

White Stripes=overrated

They aren't a bad band, but the publicity they get is a tad much.

BUT HEY MAN JACK WHITE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST GUITARISTS EVER!!!! 

As I roll my eyes.

358844[/snapback]

So I take it you didn't drive to another state at midnight to get a copy of something you had already illegally downloaded to your computer. <_<

So I take it you didn't drive to another state at midnight to get a copy of something you had already illegally downloaded to your computer.  <_<

359075[/snapback]

Hey VA, did you ever make a copy a cassette tape? How about a video tape? :doh:

:P

Hey VA, did you ever make a copy a cassette tape? How about a video tape?  <_<

:doh:

359078[/snapback]

No.

Don't you have some money to go embezzle? Or to post something so it gets deleted? Oh heck maybe even do something horrible.

No.

Don't you have some money to go embezzle?  Or to post something so it gets deleted?  Oh heck maybe even do something horrible.

359080[/snapback]

I wouldn't exactly call it embezzling! What was it, 100 bucks or so?

I bow down to you, oh great moralistic one! <_<:doh:

BTW, how far are you from Baltimore? I'll be there next Friday.

Another new album I just picked is "Songs for Silverman", by Ben Folds.  Also very good, if you're a fan of his.  I'm also looking forward to picking up the new Foo Fighters one...some good music coming out this summer.

358784[/snapback]

I loved Songs for Silverman. I'm a huge Ben Folds fan. I saw him about a month ago at The Electric Factory in Philly, and I have tickets to see him in Atlantic City in August.

I wouldn't exactly call it embezzling! What was it, 100 bucks or so?

I bow down to you, oh great moralistic one!  <_<  :doh:

BTW, how far are you from Baltimore? I'll be there next Friday.

359084[/snapback]

1.5-2 hours. But I have an anti-Ed device installed on my vehicles and house.

Is this for your bare naked ladies concert? Why don't you go to concerts closer to home? You seem to travel to them?

BTW, have you considered taking your GF and hoping on a cheap airline and going to a future concert elsewhere? Might be cheaper then a ticket agent.