Trump​ ❤️ Tariffs

Just now, Tommy Callahan said:

Kidding.  They are probably getting stimulus money and doing it to get around the current 25% tariffs on china vehicles 

OF COURSE they'd be doing it to get around the current tariffs. They aren't stupid.

The rebates on EVs are now ridiculously complicated under the IRA rules, so we'd have to see how any Chinese company Mexican production facility would fit within them. But the point is they'd be manufactured not in China, but in MEXICO. And to qualify under post-NAFTA USCANMEX rules, they'd have to comply with minimum requirements (as they relate to work conditions) set forth in that treaty.

TRUMP negotiated that treaty. If it was a bad treaty, if it allowed for foreign direct investment by China in Mexico to benefit under its terms, then that's on him.

People really have a problem with comprehension.

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OF COURSE they'd be doing it to get around the current tariffs. They aren't stupid.

The rebates on EVs are now ridiculously complicated under the IRA rules, so we'd have to see how any Chinese company Mexican production facility would fit within them. But the point is they'd be manufactured not in China, but in MEXICO. And to qualify under post-NAFTA USCANMEX rules, they'd have to comply with minimum requirements (as they relate to work conditions) set forth in that treaty.

TRUMP negotiated that treaty. If it was a bad treaty, if it allowed for foreign direct investment by China in Mexico to benefit under its terms, then that's on him.

People really have a problem with comprehension.

And when the current rate  is raised to 100 to keep it competitive.  

Or could help with the insane deficit. 

Who knows.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

The current thing is working so well in so many ways.  

The graph literally is comparing one stock to another, and claiming it's an indicator of doom.  Then at the end it says, "The top 10% of stocks in the US now reflect ~75% of the entire market.", which would mean that there's actually very little speculation happening.  Seems contradictory to me, and definitely not the same thing as the dot-com bubble. 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Sherpa, Tiberius: I think both of you make some good contributions to this board.

Let's maybe try to keep the insults limited to our pre-existing insult comics?

I insulted no one.

I am simply not going to respond to him, absent some compelling reason.

It is that simple, and I'd be pleased to be banned if that is untenable.

• Like (+1) 1