Tik Tok

I’m surprised more people here aren’t in favor of the bill. I’m 100% for it. Giving the CCP the data of millions of Americans while using the app to push their propaganda is unacceptable. 

27 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I’m surprised more people here aren’t in favor of the bill. I’m 100% for it. Giving the CCP the data of millions of Americans while using the app to push their propaganda is unacceptable. 

My concern is that instead of putting in safeguards for all social media companies to prevent this kind of stuff (could even use the EU’s GDPR as a template), they just targeted TikTok. 

Seems like a big win for Meta, Alphabet, etc. to have the government eliminate a competitor. 

Better than nothing but definitely not ideal. 

20 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

My concern is that instead of putting in safeguards for all social media companies to prevent this kind of stuff (could even use the EU’s GDPR as a template), they just targeted TikTok. 

Seems like a big win for Meta, Alphabet, etc. to have the government eliminate a competitor. 

Better than nothing but definitely not ideal. 

For me it’s a matter of having congressional oversight, like when we took Facebook to court a few years back 

11 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

For me it’s a matter of having congressional oversight, like when we took Facebook to court a few years back 

For sure. We definitely need to do something, and I don’t want to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. 

That being said, I’m worried that they just wipe their hands after this and let the other companies off the hook