$50mil signing bonus?

Dan III

why quote a webpage that requires me to "register" just to read it. :doh:

358350[/snapback]

Sorry, I don't know why but it doesn't require me to register. :P

Watching Ray Lewis sprint from sideline to sideline, it was evident that the theme of the Ravens middle linebacker's offseason had been shedding some pounds and regaining his freedom.

Lewis' new look and attitude coincided with his first exposure to the Ravens' 46 defense, one designed to keep the blockers off the seven-time Pro Bowl player and allow him to hunt down running backs without being harassed.

"To come into camp and have my defensive coordinator tell me you're not to be touched, I'm like a little kid all over again," Lewis said after the Ravens opened their mandatory four-day minicamp yesterday. "That's what I do. I don't try to bash people and try to get to the football. I get to the running back. No running back wants to face me in this league, and they know that."

Running backs had less to fear with Lewis in a 3-4 defense (three linemen and four linebackers), an alignment used the past three seasons under coordinator Mike Nolan, who left to become head coach of the San Francisco 49ers.

Lewis had to fight through more blockers to reach the ball carrier, limiting the effectiveness of Lewis as well as the entire Ravens run defense.

Although the Ravens ranked eighth against the run last season, they allowed running backs to eclipse 100 yards four times. In the previous four seasons, they had permitted just eight 100-yard rushers (five came in 2002).

"It's tough because you have to humble yourself and you have to do whatever the coaches tell you to do," Lewis said. "Whether it takes away from your game or whether it helps your game, you deal with it. That's what I did.

"It didn't alter how I prepared and didn't alter my passion for the game. But at the same time, it alters how dominant I can really be in this game."

With first-year coordinator Rex Ryan converting to the 46 defense, offenses won't be able to isolate blocks on Lewis as in recent years because the Ravens' new scheme stacks eight players near the line of scrimmage.

It's the same philosophy used in 2000, when Lewis was named the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year and Super Bowl Most Valuable Player.

"It fits Ray and his expertise in the middle," coach Brian Billick said. "I would think he's very excited about the potential this holds."

Another change for Lewis was his offseason routine.

Instead of jumping back into workouts three weeks after the season ended, Lewis took two months off, staying away from "anything dealing with football."

But during that time, talk surfaced about Lewis trying to work out a new contract. It has been rumored that he is seeking a $50 million signing bonus.

Lewis, 30, signed a $50 million deal in 2002 that included a then-record $19 million signing bonus. The Ravens are unlikely to negotiate an extension because he has four years remaining on his current deal, which will pay him $5.5 million in 2005 and 2006 and $6.5 million in 2007 and 2008.

"There is an appropriate time to talk about everything," Lewis said, "and now is not the time to speak about a contract."

Asked when is the right time, he responded, "Whenever they feel the time is. I don't have nothing to say about it."

Lewis equally downplayed his slimmer physique.

But it's logical that he didn't need to bulk up as much because he won't need to battle offensive linemen as much this season. Ryan even joked recently that Lewis doesn't need to be as big as a nose guard this year.

"I never had to change anything," Lewis said. "The scheme had to change. The scheme's got to fit your players.

I hope Baltimore gives him a $50 million bonus and F's up their cap for years to come. Lewis is among the better LB's in the league but he is certainly overrated and at 30 years old will be done well before that contract would be up. He certainly doesn't deserve a $50 million bonus (Hell, nobody deserves that much).

"To come into camp and have my defensive coordinator tell me you're not to be touched, I'm like a little kid all over again," Lewis said after the Ravens opened their mandatory four-day minicamp yesterday. "That's what I do. I don't try to bash people and try to get to the football. I get to the running back. No running back wants to face me in this league, and they know that."

Number one, this reminds me of the Randy Rules. Number two, can't really see Willis being scared of this dude. Number 3, he is way overated on the field, can't say for sure his worth in the room.

Funniest thing last year was TO doing the RAY RAY dance in the endzone

I saw something about that last week. OLB Ed Hartwell signed with ATL, so I'm guessing Lewis' agent is taking a shot.

If he insists on that number, Billick will dump him in a heartbeat. IIRC, they are going to a 4-3 this year.

358457[/snapback]

The Washington Post reported today that they are going to the 4-6 to better unlease their key defensive playmakers. Apparently Buddy Ryan's son is a defensive coach...