44 years ago today 2/22/80.

Gregg

1980 Miracle Hockey Team on X: "OTD in 1980 -🇺🇸 vs 🇷🇺 - We played the heavily favored Soviet team and won 4-3! Hard to believe it was 44 years ago today! Happy Miracle on Ice Day! 🏒🏅🇺🇸 Highlights of the game can be viewed here: https://t.co/9tSc6xUgb9 #OTD #MiracleOnIce #1980Gold #LakePlacid #RoadToGold https://t.co/5qvCPAQBU3" / X (twitter.com)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was a junior in college in a huge three story Animal House type of place with a dozen roommates. We were the only off campus “college housing” between campus and the only bar you could walk to. We would have 100 people buy carry out when the bar closed and come back to our place, like it was public property. To be fair, one of us was probably there at closing, so maybe they just followed him home, 100 strong on a weekend. Just a dozen or two on a “school night”.  😂 The place was called “Stan and Stu’s” for a couple housemates. People at the bar would ask me if I was going there that night. Funnier, they would ask Stan or Stu, not even knowing who they were. It was the halfway house with a generic name, they had another 8 minutes of walking to go. 

So, suffice it to say, this house knew about parties. We’d think nothing of picking up a half dozen kegs and see who showed up that weekend. There was a short little red headed guy from Philly named Marty who tried to impress a girl by tossing a pony keg thru his 3rd floor window into the front yard, crashing the glass. He was more drunk than stupid, he worked in a framing shop and used glass he had stolen from them. I take that back, drunk and stupid were probably tied, because the front yard was full of parked cars, and his keg toss landed on a windshield. It was things like this that led to undercover police in the road on weekends. 

By FAR the best party we ever had was for that great 1980 Olympic hockey game. I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to rent us a bunch of “giant” (for the time) TV’s, but it was one of the top 3-5 parties of my life, and I’ve been around a bit! The energy was so intense it was hard to describe. It was being at a Bills home playoff game live, but it was a bunch of college kids and countless kegs. 

It was not my intent to take things off course, or denegrate that classic event with tales of my youthful debauchery.  But we all have some great stories!  I’m too old to do it over again, but not so old I can’t remember and appreciate. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LewPort71 said:

"Do you believe in Miracles ?

Yes !!"

One of the great calls in all of broadcasting.

I can still remember those words and the hockey stick flying into the air as the buzzer sounded.   After that, the final game, a few days later (when Team USA actually won the gold medal), was anti-climatic.     Beating the Russians in 1980 was like the UB Bulls beating the Bills, and to do it in Lake Placid, their "home ice", was magical.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.