offensive tackle situation is pretty offensive

This is my first posting, so please be kind. By reading some past topics, I realize that there are a few people that are alarmed at the prospect of having our rookie (essentially that is what he is) QB being protected by a journeyman tackle on his blindside. Last time I checked, the 2004 Chicago Bears hardly resembled the 1985 Bears and Gandy couldn't start for them, so why is he good enough for us? My only thought is that T.D. (somewhere I read he is the son of satan and drinks baby's blood) is waiting for some reasonably priced veteran to be cut loose so the team can pounce on him ... but time is running short. Anyone with some insight out there? ;)

This is my first posting, so please be kind. By reading some past topics, I realize that there are a few people that are alarmed at the prospect of having our rookie (essentially that is what he is) QB being protected by a journeyman tackle on his blindside. Last time I checked, the 2004 Chicago Bears hardly resembled the 1985 Bears and Gandy couldn't start for them, so why is he good enough for us? My only thought is that T.D. (somewhere I read he is the son of satan and drinks baby's blood) is waiting for some reasonably priced veteran to be cut loose so the team can pounce on him ... but time is running short. Anyone with some insight out there? ;)

356865[/snapback]

Yes, it is confirmed. TD is the son of Satan and he does like to drink babies blood. Also, Gavin has no sole.

Mike Gandy will not be our starting lt come opening day. I know I'm going out on a limb here but it's not happening. He was brought in for depth and I'm sure the Bill's are just waiting for a player to be released.

356865[/snapback]

Welcome aboard!

The Bills aren't much different that half or so of the league's clubs that have some worry about the LT position.

Decent, situational, flexible playcalling can go a long way to alleviating that worry.

I think we're all giving up too soon on Gandy. His biggest problem has been injuries, very similar to JJ. If you'll look at Gandy's bio, he started 20 games at LT for the Bears and 10 at LG. He's still only 26, has pretty good size, and is the type of guy McNally likes - bright and motivated.

I'd like to see how Gandy develops under "Mouse" before summarily writing him off.

I think we're all giving up too soon on Gandy. His biggest problem has been injuries, very similar to JJ. If you'll look at Gandy's bio, he started 20 games at LT for the Bears and 10 at LG. He's still only 26, has pretty good size, and is the type of guy McNally likes - bright and motivated.

I'd like to see how Gandy develops under "Mouse" before summarily writing him off.

356998[/snapback]

Me too.

And I think that ex-Raven's guard Anderson will be helpful. Some have criticized him as being only a "road grader".

What's wrong with that? A guy that poked holes for Jamal Lewis? Providing pass protection for the herky-jerky Kyle Boller as well at the "qb-of-the-day" Raven's philosophy through the last 5 years, is IMO not much of a basis to rate ANY OL's qb protection skills...

Me too.

And I think that ex-Raven's guard Anderson will be helpful. Some have criticized him as being only a "road grader".

What's wrong with that? A guy that poked holes for Jamal Lewis?  Providing pass protection for the herky-jerky Kyle Boller as well at the "qb-of-the-day" Raven's philosophy through the last 5 years, is IMO not much of a basis to rate ANY OL's qb protection skills...

357044[/snapback]

Yeah, I like road graders on the O line. If Anderson has a pass blocking problem, McNally can probably help.

Last time I checked, the 2004 Chicago Bears hardly resembled the 1985 Bears and Gandy couldn't start for them, so why is he good enough for us?

356865[/snapback]

As OBX noted, Gandy DID start for the Bears. 11 games between LG/LT in 2002, 14 games at LT in 2003 (missed the other two to injury), the first 5 at RG in 2004 before the hamstring injury that caused the Bears to release him.

Since the Bills are projecting him at LT, let's take a closer look at that 2003 Bears season. RB Anthony Thomas, despite missing three games, finished with 1024 yards on 244 carries for a 4.2 ypc average. Not bad, considering that was the same year the Bears decided on Kordell Stewart as their starting QB....