What the head of the DNC thinks

Again, this is about the internal struggle in the Democratic party between mobilizing the base and extending their appeal.

"I think this country has a purple heart, not a red heart or a blue heart," Biden said. "If we can't bring this (country) together, man, boy, we're really in deep trouble."

vs

Dean's remarks are an example of why the former Vermont governor, who remains popular with the party's grass roots, has been a lightning rod for criticism since being elected to head the Democratic National Committee in February.

Again, this is about the internal struggle in the Democratic party between mobilizing the base and extending their appeal.

"I think this country has a purple heart, not a red heart or a blue heart," Biden said. "If we can't bring this (country) together, man, boy, we're really in deep trouble."

vs

Dean's remarks are an example of why the former Vermont governor, who remains popular with the party's grass roots, has been a lightning rod for criticism since being elected to head the Democratic National Committee in February.

353612[/snapback]

But, at what point is the grass-roots effort harmed by prominent figures within the DNC stating:

Biden: "He does not speak for the Party" and "the rhetoric is counterproductive."

Bill Richardson: He does not speak for the party.

Edwards: "He does not speak for the Party."

He will eventually get to the point of diminishing returns, where this type of rhetoric causes Dean to be so distanced from the Party that he is overwhelmingly dismissed. Things are moving in that direction and Dean shows no signs of slowing down. In the long run, it will be a problem for the Democrats, IMO.

But, at what point is the grass-roots effort harmed by prominent figures within the DNC stating:

Biden: "He does not speak for the Party" and "the rhetoric is counterproductive."

Bill Richardson: He does not speak for the party.

Edwards: "He does not speak for the Party."

He will eventually get to the point of diminishing returns, where this type of rhetoric causes Dean to be so distanced from the Party that he is overwhelmingly dismissed. Things are moving in that direction and Dean shows no signs of slowing down. In the long run, it will be a problem for the Democrats, IMO.

353630[/snapback]

Yeah, thats the thing. I *think* that he's trying to be outlandish at first, and he'll start backing off soon. Then again, he is one crazy mother!@#$a, so he might not.

Yeah, thats the thing.  I *think* that he's trying to be outlandish at first, and he'll start backing off soon.  Then again, he is one crazy mother!@#$a, so he might not.

354062[/snapback]

Right now, he has said that he has no intentions of backing off. We shall see...

Mainstream Democrats need to take their party back from Dean and MoveOn.org

354219[/snapback]

i honeslty don't know the answer to this question....but who are the "mainstream democrats"?

i honeslty don't know the answer to this question....but who are the "mainstream democrats"?

354335[/snapback]

People like my dad. Wife and kids, household pet, union member, middle class, mortgage, retired, suburban, average american types

"Republicowards"?

Howard Dean, is that you?

354278[/snapback]

I'm not head of either party, but the Republicans are a spineless bunch when it comes to money. Spend, spend, spend is their motto.

The Republicans can attack the Dems on spending all they want, but right now, the Republicans are in power, and doing nothing of substance to reduce spending.

{making me mental... must stop coming here}

Reading thru some of the posts in this thread I fail to see any comments on what is the true heart of this issue. That is the fact that what he said is racist. Why has no one called him on this?

If that had been the RNC leader and he made a comment that the democrate party has a high percentage of black people and they all look the same, and they all eat watermelon the earths rotation would be halted and his white ass thrown overboard.

Bottom line is that we all know dean is a fool, but this is really getting totally out of control. Saying things like that have zero value to anyone. And for you assmonkeys who will once again make the case that he is just whipping up the base you need to take a really hard look at what type of base needs such ignorant rhetoric to whip them up. Perhaps if they had some well laid out ideas and or some common sense leaders they would not need to be lathered up for the fight.