The decline of Howard Simon

Adam

We come to this board for the most part because we're fanatic Bills fans first and Buffalo sports fans second and sports fans third and internet geeks fourth and losers with no lives fifth. This is a dumb time to evaluate Howard because it's the worst time to talk Bills football, there is no Sabres and most people are down on the NBA. Look at the crappy topics on this board in the last couple months. When the Bills training camp nears or starts you can guarantee it will be almost all Bills all the time and there will be no need for stupid topics. If there still is, that would be a good time to complain. I doubt that will be the case, and Howard will likely succeed or fail on his own ability to hold an audience of Bills fans ranting about the Bills.

360682[/snapback]

VERY well said. You are exactly right. Is it really fair to criticize Howard for not talking about the Bills for four straight hours everyday? Take a look at this board. It's dominated by music talk, Star Wars, reality TV, personal lives, hangover tips and almost everything BUT Bills football this time of year. You're hardpressed to find an actual Bills thread and the reason for that is, it's June 16th.

I have no doubt that Howard will start talking football once training camp beings and the season gets going. He was hired at WGR last November I believe, so that only left him with half of the season last year. This year, he gets a full season of football on WGR and it looks like the Sabres will be back, so that will certainly help his show topics.

Point is...middle of summer...not an NBA town...smack dab in the middle of baseball...nothing doing out of OBD...nothing definite from the hockey talks.

It's a slow time in sports at the moment, and I see Howard working. It's very difficult to keep talking about the Bills or sports at all on this board at the moment...imagine having to do it for four straight hours Monday thru Friday. If topics like movies or TV or politics or other goofy stuff come up on Howard's show at this time of year, who cares?? He'll be talking about football again once there is something to talk about.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my first opportunity to listen to Simon's show since he moved to WGR yesterday. Simon has fallen a long way, but I think that is due more to the policies of WGR than to simon himself. They have to get rid of the side kick. What a moron! The guy pretends to be Jim Rome, why I will never know, and he's not very good at it. He makes arguments that support the other side of the discussion not his.

Granted it is a slow time of year, but the side kick has got to go. No clue whatsoever. Simon gave up trying to carry the guy along time ago it appears.

Buff News mentions Howard ignoring the NBA: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050618/1058267.asp

361822[/snapback]

I agree with the column. Simon has ignored the NBA and other sports even during his Empire / WNSA days. It's OK if he really doesn't like it but he shouldn't brag about it to his listening audience. IF i was paid to be a sports talk host you better believe I'd watch and have a working knowledge of NBA, Golf, Nascar, etc..... If anyone wanted to discuss them, I'd be more than willing.

I agree with the column.  Simon has ignored the NBA and other sports even during his Empire / WNSA days.  It's OK if he really doesn't like it but he shouldn't brag about it to his listening audience.  IF i was paid to be a sports talk host you better believe I'd watch and have a working knowledge of NBA, Golf, Nascar, etc.....  If anyone wanted to discuss them, I'd be more than willing.

361839[/snapback]

While on WNSA/Empire, he said on more than one occasion that he'd talk about the NBA if people wanted to do so...they rarely did. When a caller would phone in to discuss the NBA, follow-up callers quickly changed the subject back to either the Bills or Sabres. He played to his audience, plain and simple, and it served him well.