Schobel contract numbers

Dan Gross

nflpa.org only lists player salaries, but simple math gets you to the remaining bonuses, etc...At 23 M his pay is mostly bonus money though...

2005 1000000.00

2006 2000000.00

2007 2500000.00

2008 2500000.00

2009 3000000.00

JFTR the top 5 salaries for DE for this year are:

Howard, Darren DE New Orleans Saints 6503000.00

Pryce, Trevor DE Denver Broncos 5350000.00

Brown, Courtney DE Cleveland Browns 4700000.00

Strahan, Michael DE New York Giants 4250000.00

Berry, Bertrand DE Arizona Cardinals 4000000.00

I think it shows you a couple things.

1. He isn't the type of player to go for one good year to make the next contract $$$. He is a steady performer, a lunchbox high motor guy :) . How many times have we seen a player have one great year and then fall off the face of the earth after hitting it rich? It happens in every sport.

2. He is able to see beyond today. Too many players and people in general get wrapped up in couldas. Damn, if I had waited until the season ended I coulda squeezed an extra million out of the owner.

What the Bills deserve from him is increased production. His sack numbers have risen each year and I don't think he has peaked out yet. My crystal ball tells me he gets 14 this year. Pressure from the other side will push QBs his way.

I think it shows you a couple things.

1. He isn't the type of player to go for one good year to make the next contract $$$.  He is a steady performer, a lunchbox high motor guy  :) .  How many times have we seen a player have one great year and then fall off the face of the earth after hitting it rich?  It happens in every sport.

2. He is able to see beyond today.  Too many players and people in general get wrapped up in couldas.  Damn, if I had waited until the season ended I coulda squeezed an extra million out of the owner.

What the Bills deserve from him is increased production.  His sack numbers have risen each year and I don't think he has peaked out yet.  My crystal ball tells me he gets 14 this year.  Pressure from the other side will push QBs his way.

26106[/snapback]

Where are you going to get 10 sacks a year from? Come on.

the question remains... is Schobel really that good? Or does Ryan Denny's craptitude just make Schobel look better by comparison. Like an ugly girl looks better if you put an uglier girl next to her, ya know? Lets just hope he is the real deal. I think so.

26099[/snapback]

He seems easily as good as his contract numbers since other players making even more money have just as many limitations as he has.

Schobel by almost all judgments has improved his game each year he has played. His own sack production and the team's statistical production for their D seen to reflect this.

His first year he struck me as promising, but he seems to often take bad angles to tackle people, he seemed to lack strength in comparison to opposing blockers and he rarely commanded a double-team even when he was at the point of attack.

However, by my observations, he at least doesn't get embarassed the way Mark Brunell beat him twice (once for a TD) as in his rookie year. he does not overpower opponents but does not seem to get stood up or pancaked like he did as a freshman (for example against Miami down there he was stood up at the line and Fiedler through the game-winning TD pass to Chambers) and he does command double-temas when he is at the point of attack and the DTs have profited from this.

Is he Bruce Smith? No. Is the new contract for Bruce mith money relative to other DEs and the cap? No.

The Bills have few other alternatives at DE so I don't even see why there is a question here. We would love a Jevon Kearse but we ain't gonna get him. I would also love to see us draft a Will Smith or Udeze, but the drop-off in out O which was worthless last year accompanied the lack of a speed threat at WR and it is clear Bledsoe ain't gonna play forever *that is assuming he plays well this year).

We need a good DE, but given our other needs resigning Schobel seems like a very good idea and for the contract he signed the deal was done well.

05-09 salaries add up to $11.0 million

reported bonuses are $8.75 million ($6.75 million signing bonus and 2005 roster bonus of $2 million)

That's $19.75 million.

Reported the extension contained $23 million in "new money" thus Schobel has $3.25 million in bonuses/incentives that we do not know the structure of :(

05-09 salaries add up to $11.0 million

reported bonuses are $8.75 million ($6.75 million signing bonus and 2005 roster bonus of $2 million)

That's $19.75 million.

Reported the extension contained $23 million in "new money" thus Schobel has $3.25 million in bonuses/incentives that we do not know the structure of  :(

26630[/snapback]

Perhaps, Clump, and you know better how they do this than me, that the Bills were wise and used 3.75 of this years cap money as part of the bonus structure and incentive to sign. Maybe the 23 million was new money but not all for future years. We have it, and havent used it. That is how I originally thought they would approach one of the three guys, and posted something to that affect a week or so before Schobel signed.

Perhaps, Clump, and you know better how they do this than me, that the Bills were wise and used 3.75 of this years cap money as part of the bonus structure and incentive to sign. Maybe the 23 million was new money but not all for future years. We have it, and havent used it. That is how I originally thought they would approach one of the three guys, and posted something to that affect a week or so before Schobel signed.

26697[/snapback]

I think that these numbers and clumpy's observations about bonuses actually explain why the press reports of the total amount have been such a moving target. The final amount paid to Schobel should end up looking like the #23 million talked about (and may well end up being even more than that because as Clumpy says we do not have those details since they are not part of his cap hit).

It interests me that these figures are from the NFLPA site because what that means to me is that the bonus numbers (whatever they are) have been judged by the NFL/NFLPA powers that be as not to be no-brainer incentives that Schobel is going to get one way or another. They have been judged as possibly achievable but not certain to be achieved and that is fine by me as a fan. They may well be incentives which aree tied to him getting a certain number of sacks, or tackles or simply starts.

We'll have to deal with the cap hit after thay happen, but quite frankly if he gets these incentives because he has provided us the value in starting games for us or racking up certain statistical measures, that is fine by me!

ugghh the answer is hell no he's not worth it

26966[/snapback]

Of course no NFL player's value is equal to what he is paid to simply play a sport. This is obvious and if its what you mean fine. However, market worth is determined by what people are willing to pay you. If this is what you mean then how much do you think Schobel is worth contractually and whoch players are worth more? Jevon kearee is obviously worth more and has the contract to show for it.

However, there are other players like Grant Wistrom who have far bigger contracts and I don't know many folks who credbily claim his play is worth that much more that Schobel's,

You may a bold statement, let's get specific.