DK Metcalf proves if you have great genetics diet and nutrition matter a lot less

Big Turk

10 hours ago, boater said:

That's his key right there. One meal a day. It's known as the OMAD diet and it gets results. He's cheating a bit with the Skittles, but I guess the rigors of pro-athlete training lets him get away with it.

Eating 3-4 big bags of candy counts as a meal, that's a boatload of calories coming from sugar...that isn't OMAD. Coming from someone who has done basically every version of intermittent fasting over the last 10 years you can do including multi-day fasts.

Edited by Big Turk

17 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’m going to assume this is a topic you have little to no connection with. Correct me if my assumption is wrong. Earlier I mentioned the sugar caught up to me and other family members (mother). I’m a Black male in my early 40s, grew up an athlete, and have always measured around 6’0” 190. Never smoke, drank, or did drugs. The one vice I’ve always had is that I love sweets. Candy, ice cream, soda, sugary juice, you name it, it was a friend of mine. Also never cared too much about what I put in my body diet wise because my attitude was always “I’ll just run it off.” 

A few years ago I started having frequent urination symptoms that had me believing my prostrate would be an issue, because (yay) Black men are also at an elevated risk of prostrate cancer. Then the excessive thirst started. It got so bad that I’d wake up with the driest mouth imaginable. So dry my tongue was rough, zero moisture or saliva. Went in to see what was going on and was informed I was pre-diabetic. My mother was diagnosed with type 2 some years back and also had a sugar issue. In addition to all my favorites, she’d drink juice that was so sweet it verged on being syrup. She does have a weight problem, but my current measurements are 6’0” 195; I go to the gym 3x a week. While it’s true I wasn’t explicitly told, “your sugar consumption has led to your condition,” it’s also true I didn’t think I’d be explaining to a guy on a Bills message board how elevated sugar levels are an issue. If I knew I would’ve had the doc put it in writing. I can still do that if you’d like to hear from yet another medical professional…

To understand the sugar argument, one has to understand how insulin sensitivity works in those with elevated blood sugar levels. 

Metcalf has a sugary diet. You seem to think there’s no causation or correlation for later problems associated with diabetes. The common element in the studies you reference state “sugar leads to obesity which is one of the main problems of type 2 diabetes.” Metcalf isn’t in that group therefore he’s not at risk (your words). Anyone can become diabetic or at least pre-diabetic - look at me. The article I referenced earlier that stated “sugar increases diabetic risks both directly and indirectly” cannot be refuted. 

I don’t know the athletes who had the lesser pre-diabetic diagnosis, but these are some notable names who were diagnosed with the full blown type 2: 

Patrick Peterson, Jackie Robinson, Arthur Ashe, and Billie Jean King. 

If I asked you to bet your house that Metcalf’s sugar intake and elevated blood sugar levels will never lead to at least a pre-diabetic diagnosis later in life, would you back your claim? Actually, how could I ask you to stand on your conviction? I couldn’t get you to bet a friendly amount among a neutral team’s fanbase that the Nate Clements hit on Tom Brady would draw a flag in today’s NFL. 😅

As for causation, t's not what I think, it is what medicine knows.  I am simply telling you want the current medical thinking is.  Why do you keep attributing this to me?

Is there a correlation between type 2 DM and sugary drinks, etc?  Yes, I have already stated this.  It's not causation.  The mechanism of insulin secretion and function is well understood.  It is not deranged by eating a lot of candy.--it's exacerbated by eating a lot of candy.

Your doctor telling you not to have sugar laden food is giving you good advice.  If he's telling you that your past eating habits made you a diabetic, he's wrong.   Tell him to contact the ADA for some educational material he can review.  A lot of doctors want to blame their patients and their behaviors for their problems. 

Metcalf isn't in the group most at risk---overweight sedentary individuals. He limits his risk of developing DM by staying fit and of appropriate weight, not by limiting his sweet tooth.  I don't know how else to tell you this.

Anyway, anyone looking at Metcalf can tell you that that bit about his diet is something he made up on a jock podcast.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.