GDT: USFL Championship - BHM vs PIT 8pm NBC

PromoTheRobot

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The USFL has lots of history. 1981-1984. It's where dozens of NFL stars began their career.

The name may be the same, but this edition of the USFL has nothing to do with the USFL of 1982-1984 other than using the team names while not playing in most of the cities.  It's like saying the current edition of the ABA has the history of the ABA where Julius Erving, George McGinnis, Spencer Haywood, Moses Malone and other NBA stars began their careers.  

Minor leagues that use old leagues' names do not have anything to do with the old league's history.  

If I change my name to George Washington, that doesn't make me the 1st POTUS.  

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The name may be the same, but this edition of the USFL has nothing to do with the USFL of 1982-1984 other than using the team names while not playing in most of the cities.  It's like saying the current edition of the ABA has the history of the ABA where Julius Erving, George McGinnis, Spencer Haywood, Moses Malone and other NBA stars began their careers.  

Minor leagues that use old leagues' names do not have anything to do with the old league's history.  

If I change my name to George Washington, that doesn't make me the 1st POTUS.  

Yes and no. Fox bought the intellectual property of the USFL. So they are not incorrect saying it's the same league. That's why this year you are seeing more historical USFL footage in broadcasts. Last year they couldn't refer the old league at all.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes and no. Fox bought the intellectual property of the USFL. So they are not incorrect saying it's the same league. That's why this year you are seeing more historical USFL footage in broadcasts. Last year they couldn't refer the old league at all.

You can claim it's the same league, but it's not.  If someone bought the intellectual property of the AFL from the NFL & fielded another minor league, calling it the AFL, if they started claiming a history that included Lou Saban, Jack Kemp & Cookie Gilchrist I doubt a single Bills fan would take them seriously.  

23 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You can claim it's the same league, but it's not.  If someone bought the intellectual property of the AFL from the NFL & fielded another minor league, calling it the AFL, if they started claiming a history that included Lou Saban, Jack Kemp & Cookie Gilchrist I doubt a single Bills fan would take them seriously.  

23 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

That's fine, but it doesn't change their legal right to own their legacy.

But we'll see if legacy matters. The XFL has half a season worth of "legacy" to work with and I think, side-by-side with the USFL, they were the more attractive spring football league. A better TV viewing experience. Teams playing in their real home cities. They played right after the NFL so football interest was still fresh. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's fine, but it doesn't change their legal right to own their legacy.

But we'll see if legacy matters. The XFL has half a season worth of "legacy" to work with and I think, side-by-side with the USFL, they were the more attractive spring football league. A better TV viewing experience. Teams playing in their real home cities. They played right after the NFL so football interest was still fresh. 

I enjoyed watching both the XFL and USFL seasons, but the XFL was more fun to watch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.