What WR's will be on the final roster?

JPL7

hey guys..... What WR's will be on the final roster out of our current group?

I say:

Moulds

Evans

Parrish

These 3 guys are all locks obviously. But I think the rest of the group is up in the air.

But I believe the final 3 on the roster will be:

Reed

Aiken

Fast Freddie

Though I think I'd like to see:

Will Peoples..... from Oklahoma good size 6'0 200 lbs. Solid player, who I'd like to see get a real shot.

LaDaris Vann.... from CU. I'm from Ohio, so I know a little about him. Would like to see him get a real shot also.

What are your thoughts?? Does anyone think we will try to sign a vet or FA in the summer? Or will we stick with the group we currently have?

I think the addition of roscoe parrish makes fast freddie expendable.

345730[/snapback]

Fast Freddie is certainly not going to be the 3 WR and actually isn't serious competition for the #4 slot. The thing that will make it or break for him is competing for an ST slot.

His return ability gives him a leg up, but as he is also likely to be below not only Clements but even Parrish on the PR slot, the thing that will make it or break it for him is his work as a gunner on the coverage team and as a tackler in interior OL play.

I for one have little idea how he stacks up against the likes of Haggan or Aiken as a tackler and I actually doubt most of us do but that strikes me as who and how he will compete for a roster slot.

My guess is that you can't really teach speed (no matter what Don Beebe says)and he sticks.

If Freddie doesn't get lucky and return that punt for a touchdown against New England, then nobody is saying that he has return skills. Nobody is saying we keep him as a special teamer....

All because of one lucky play, on one sorry and horrible evening in Foxboro.

If Freddie doesn't get lucky and return that punt for a touchdown against New England, then nobody is saying that he has return skills.  Nobody is saying we keep him as a special teamer....

345748[/snapback]

Had a nice return against St. Louis too (at least i remember it being St. Louis) That being said i really didn't really think he was anything special. I mean... he can't even figure out what his first name is. What was his wonderlic?

If Freddie doesn't get lucky and return that punt for a touchdown against New England, then nobody is saying that he has return skills.  Nobody is saying we keep him as a special teamer....

345748[/snapback]

In addition to the additional nice return someone mentioned above against St. Louis. Sith actually returned 1 KO for 28 yards (a nice amount compared to other KOs besides McGee) and returned a total of 9 PRs. Even if one subtracts the yardage of his TD return the total amount is a nice PR average.

Smith seemed a bit out of control in his play from what I saw last year, but it was this willingness to take chances (even if psychotically rooted) that explains to me his success at the return game which goes beyond one lucky return from what I saw.

He never was a threat to break into the top WRs and be a position player so he either makes this team or not based on his ST play. The drafting of Parrish probably provides us with another better PR guy, but given that it takes a few games for a rookie to become more like a vet, its probably unlikely that he supplants Smith as the #2 PR guy for a few games at least.

The key for Smith is that the acquisition of Parrish probably makes us more comfortable using Clements only as a CB (MM thankfully will use position players on ST, but there is an additional injury risk which should not be ignored at CB). It is also Clements contract year so planning for the future makes Smith a keeper and Clements did get a TD in the Pitts game but also fumbled a PR away so having another return guy is not a bad idea.

The key for Smith appears to me in whether he calms down a bit and retains the upside of the TD you say he "lucked" into (apparently he also lucked into a good return against St. L, lucked into catching 8 other kicks without fumbling and peeled off good returns, and lucked into 3 catches as well) while eliminating the risk of a bas play.

He will likely not make or break onto this team with his returns, but by demonstrating he can tackle as well. Despite Don Beebe's sale pitch you can't teach speed. If he has the average progress of a second year player the Bills will likely keep him as a 6th WR but rarly use him for position play.

I think the addition of roscoe parrish makes fast freddie expendable.

345730[/snapback]

and also josh reed, parrish fills 2 roles. He can return punts which takes away freddie, and serves as our 3rd receiver which takesy away reed. But i dont think the bills are going to cut reed simply because this is the last year of his contract and i think the bills want one final shot to see if he's worth re-signing.

I mean... he can't even figure out what his first name is.  What was his wonderlic?

345757[/snapback]

Fast Freddie = nickname, Jonathan=real name.

Why do you care what his Wonderlic score is? Probably the most dubious standardized test that currently exists. Besides, wasn't he a student at Wake Forest or am I thinking of someone else?

I don't think they're going to keep 6 WR's on the roster. They didn't last year and this year there's a lot more OL that they'll need spots for and they'll probably keep Everett on as well.

That being said:

Moulds

Evans

Parrish

Smith

(UDFA)

I think Reed and Aiken were the guys who couldn't cut it last year. Smith didn't do anything wrong. Parrish will replace Reed and an UDFA (Tony Brown or Will Peoples most likely) will come on strong to replace Aiken. I don't think we're going to pick a WR as our top pick and still keep Reed on the roster. Why keep him on as a 4th?

I don't see TD giving up on a draft pick (even if he was a 7th) after only one year. Especially since he produced. Aiken's proven he wasn't worth a 4th and don't get me started on Reed!

Fast Freddie = nickname, Jonathan=real name.

Why do you care what his Wonderlic score is? Probably the most dubious standardized test that currently exists. Besides, wasn't he a student at Wake Forest or am I thinking of someone else?

346392[/snapback]

Georgia Tech... Eric King was the guy from Wake... Personally i am not a Fast Freddie fan which explains the tone of my post, but it was meant as a joke so no worries. There could be worse things than him making it on the roster as a 6th WR.

I don't think they're going to keep 6 WR's on the roster. They didn't last year and this year there's a lot more OL that they'll need spots for and they'll probably keep Everett on as well.

That being said:

Moulds

Evans

Parrish

Smith

(UDFA)

I think Reed and Aiken were the guys who couldn't cut it last year. Smith didn't do anything wrong. Parrish will replace Reed and an UDFA (Tony Brown or Will Peoples most likely) will come on strong to replace Aiken. I don't think we're going to pick a WR as our top pick and still keep Reed on the roster. Why keep him on as a 4th?

I don't see TD giving up on a draft pick (even if he was a 7th) after only one year. Especially since he produced. Aiken's proven he wasn't worth a 4th and don't get me started on Reed!

346411[/snapback]

If you don't even see TD giving up on a 7th rounder after 1 year when he produced it does not strike me a following that TD would give up on a 2nd round pick (Reed) he produced also in his first yeareven after the last two dismal seasons. This strikes me as particularly true when though the downturn in Reed's sophomore year was all on Reed as he caved under the pressure of becoming our #2 his disappointing year last year came in conjunction with injury.

While blaming last year on injury will not get Reed onto the 2005 roster (the $400+ K in deadspace if he iscut might do that though) it will certainly earn him a real chance to show he has turned his game around this pre-season.

While I have real doubts that Reed is enough of a player to recover the level of success he had as a rookie (a level of success which made us quite comfortable in letting PP walk) I actually do not have many doubts that he tends to look better in practice than in games and that he is at least a workout warrior in the training room after he has impressed folks (ahd then let us down twice) 3 pre-seasons in a row.

My guess is that under the pressure to perform or get cut, Reed actually impresses folks this pre-season and will earn the starting slot receiver #3 nod. However, Parrish does seem to have the raw speed and athletic talent that I suspect he will take the #3 job away from Reed by the halfway point of the season.

Lining up the speed of Evans, the athleticism of Moulds and the speed threat of Parrish will just prove too tempting for TC/MM not to give it a try and if this threat works at all, it will become the O approach for the Bills.

I can easily see Moulds demanding a double-team and Evans forcing the opponent to go with their fastest CB on Evans or going with a double team to handle him. If this double-double team is forced on opponents (as Moulds and PP did) then the Bills slot receiver will get to feast on zones and match-ups with LBs and 5th DBs. I can't wait.

this is the last year of his contract and i think the bills want one final shot to see if he's worth re-signing.

346069[/snapback]

if he does show he's "worth re-signing", it will be too late.......the bills will not pony up the cash to keep him and he will cash in with another team........same goes for ron edwards........

you can't wait for players to breakout before you reward them........you'll end up overpaying them or losing them altogether.......part of being a GM is analyzing your roster, establishing who the good young players are, and locking them into reasonable long-term deals BEFORE they get to free agency......it is not unrealistic to expect a GM to know who those players and who they aern't after watching hours of college gametape on a guy, evaluating him in practice hundreds of times, watching him in game action for 3 seasons or more, and seeing how he carries himself in the locker room......you shouldn't need to get to the end of the contract to decide whether you think he will continue to progress or not........if you can't show foresight, your not much of a talent evaluator......