Frightening Stats about China

China has 320 MILLION people under the age of 14. That's more than the entire population of the US.

300 million rural chinese will move to the cities in the next 15 years. China will have to build the equivalent of Houston's infrastructure EVERY MONTH to keep up.

More people use the Internet in China than in the USA.

China has more English speakers than does the United States.

China has more than 300 completely unregulated biotech firms.

Like it or not people, we are going to be China's economic bitches within the next 20 years.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

China has 320 MILLION people under the age of 14. That's more than the entire population of the US.

300 million rural chinese will move to the cities in the next 15 years. China will have to build the equivalent of Houston's infrastructure EVERY MONTH to keep up.

More people use the Internet in China than in the USA.

China has more English speakers than does the  United States.

China has more than 300 completely unregulated biotech firms.

Like it or not people, we are going to be China's economic bitches within the next 20 years.

345463[/snapback]

Don't forget how much of us they ALREADY own in investments.

Yeah, because having a big population is always the key to economic success.  :blink:

345478[/snapback]

Too cold to think in Alaska today?

Ignore the first stat. Concentrate on the ones relating to technical and business issues.

Never mind that they already (I think) hold the largest single abmount of American debt and Dollars, and well, there you have it.

Too cold to think in Alaska today?

Ignore the first stat. Concentrate on the ones relating to technical and business issues.

Never mind that they already (I think) hold the largest single abmount of American debt and Dollars, and well, there you have it.

345498[/snapback]

Sounds remarkably like Japan in the '80s. That all came to fruition, too. Or it didn't.

Sounds remarkably like Japan in the '80s.  That all came to fruition, too.  Or it didn't.

345500[/snapback]

Hold on there, buckaroo....

China has far greater natural resources than Japan does. Also, Japan pretty much wiped out the American electronics industry and has nearly 50% of the American car market.

Hold on there, buckaroo....

China has far greater natural resources than Japan does. Also, Japan pretty much wiped out the American electronics industry and has nearly 50% of the American car market.

345505[/snapback]

They also have alot more downsides than Japan did/does. Both of those industries got exactly what they deserved. Have YOU driven a Ford lately? "Quality is Job 1" my ass.

They also have alot more downsides than Japan did/does.  Both of those industries got exactly what they deserved.  Have YOU driven a Ford lately?  "Quality is Job 1" my ass.

345512[/snapback]

Namely?

I'm of the mindset they don't have to make it to a level we are. They just have to improve a bit and the law of large numbers will do the rest.

Namely?

I'm of the mindset they don't have to make it to a level we are. They just have to improve a bit and the law of large numbers will do the rest.

345517[/snapback]

1. It's run by old men who are more Leninists than Marxists. It's all about the power.

2. Continued economic prosperity will eventually lead to pressure for more political freedom - it always does. There's no way to open your markets and not have people learn how the rest of the world lives.

3. They've already opened the easiest growth sectors in their economy and that wasn't very hard. They simply stopped being stupid. Double digit growth can't continue forever simply because of the maturation process.

4. Their currency is pegged to the dollar and future growth will be dependent on foriegn investment.

5. They're already having problems with the peasants.

6. Hong Kong still exists and the longer it does, the shinier it is to the populace.

7. The Olympics are coming.

1.  It's run by old men who are more Leninists than Marxists.  It's all about the power.

2.  Continued economic prosperity will eventually lead to pressure for more political freedom - it always does.  There's no way to open your markets and not have people learn how the rest of the world lives.

3.  They've already opened the easiest growth sectors in their economy and that wasn't very hard.  They simply stopped being stupid.  Double digit growth can't continue forever simply because of the maturation process.

4.  Their currency is pegged to the dollar and future growth will be dependent on foriegn investment.

5.  They're already having problems with the peasants.

6.  Hong Kong still exists and the longer it does, the shinier it is to the populace.

7.  The Olympics are coming.

345542[/snapback]

The olympics? Expound, please, I'm in no mood to think today.

:blink:

1.  It's run by old men who are more Leninists than Marxists.  It's all about the power.

2.  Continued economic prosperity will eventually lead to pressure for more political freedom - it always does.  There's no way to open your markets and not have people learn how the rest of the world lives.

3.  They've already opened the easiest growth sectors in their economy and that wasn't very hard.  They simply stopped being stupid.  Double digit growth can't continue forever simply because of the maturation process.

4.  Their currency is pegged to the dollar and future growth will be dependent on foriegn investment.

5.  They're already having problems with the peasants.

6.  Hong Kong still exists and the longer it does, the shinier it is to the populace.

7.  The Olympics are coming.

345542[/snapback]

8. They need more cowbell

This says alot right here Joe "More people use the Internet in China than in the USA." " China has 320 MILLION people under the age of 14"

They'll want freedom.

345570[/snapback]

That's how i see it. I don't think there will be a civil war, but things will change.

This says alot right here Joe "More people use the Internet in China than in the USA." " China has 320 MILLION people under the age of 14"

They'll want freedom.

345570[/snapback]

I'm hoping so, but even if the Chinese democratize, they'll be a huge competitor economically for our nation, IMO.

I'm hoping so, but even if the Chinese democratize, they'll be a huge competitor economically for our nation, IMO.

345586[/snapback]

Just like the Soviet Union, huh? Democracy is a process and infant democracies are just like teenagers. They want what they see out there but aren't patient enough to get it.

345586[/snapback]

Where did you get those stats Joe, they're pretty interesting.

The right kind of competition can be a good thing, no?

Where did you get those stats Joe, they're pretty interesting.

The right kind of competition can be a good thing, no?

345592[/snapback]

Reading a book by Ted Fishman about it. It's called "China Inc." Pretty sobering stuff.