MLB Hall of Fame Inductees to Be Announced Tonight (1/24/23) at 6PM

Gugny

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

No doubt on Rivera, there's always one jack@ss.  Rivera is the most dominant baseball player I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m not a big fan of closers in general but Sutter is 100% toward the top of the closer list.  To me, the biggest joke in recent history was breaking the tradition of no one getting 100% with Rivera.  

Does Rivera deserve HOF?  You’d have to be crazy to even blink.  Is the lack of ever having a unanimous entry silly?  Probably, yes.  But, given both of the above, was Rivera the right guy to break that glass ceiling?  Not even close.  Because he was a Yankee?  If he had the same career as an Oriole, Ranger, or Marlin he gets in first ballot but doesn’t sniff 100%.  Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Cobb, Ruth, Aaron, not 100% but Rivera?  Shirley.  More recently you could make a strong case that the following deserved a higher % than Rivera:

Ripken, Gwynn, definitely Rickey, Maddux, Griffey, Jeter.

I agree that others were deserving of a unanimous nod prior to Rivera.  I do think Rivera deserved to be unanimous.  But the names 4mer listed EASILY should have been unanimous.

You brought up Rickey and it immediately brings me to his career base on balls record being broken by that scumbag, Bonds.

Rickey Henderson was an absolute ARTIST at the plate and on the bases.  The walks he drew were because he knew the pitchers and he knew how to get into their heads.  He actually created the walks.  They were not gifts, like Bonds' were.  That record being ruined pisses me off nearly as much as the HR records.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Rosen was very strong both offensively and defensively.  Maybe he wasn’t flashy but his career WAR says HOF.  Nolan Arenado is a current player that will have his HOF detractors in a similar way.

Do you mean MSG Networks Al Rosen? Heheh I kid I kid I knew what you meant. 

WAR should not be the be-all-end-all of anyone’s case but it’s a good conversation starter.

Rolen had 70.1 rWAR and 69.9 fWAR. He was inevitably gonna make it given trend of newer voters favoring sabermetrics and traditional voters dying off. Not a lot of hardware but most agree he’s one of the best defenders at his position and he had an excellent bat. 2,000 hits, 500 doubles, 300 HRs with a gold glove. Rolen was never flashy but he was definitely elite.

With that being said the HOF gained another Hal Baines type entrant in Rolen (I do believe Rolen is absolutely better than Baines and more worthy) but still not a HOF’er. 

He was really good and close I’d say but he never led the league in anything. One top ten MVP finish. Very good prime but he falls short to me. Complete baseball player but definitely not what should be a Hall of Fame caliber player.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I agree that others were deserving of a unanimous nod prior to Rivera.  I do think Rivera deserved to be unanimous.  But the names 4mer listed EASILY should have been unanimous.

You brought up Rickey and it immediately brings me to his career base on balls record being broken by that scumbag, Bonds.

Rickey Henderson was an absolute ARTIST at the plate and on the bases.  The walks he drew were because he knew the pitchers and he knew how to get into their heads.  He actually created the walks.  They were not gifts, like Bonds' were.  That record being ruined pisses me off nearly as much as the HR records.

No disagreement - if my post implied the others shouldn't have been unanimous it was unintended.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.