Excellent game breakdown of Buffalo vs. Miami

JohnNord

Cover 1 recently did an extensive breakdown of the Bills-Dolphins game.  For me, it helped change the narrative about the game.  

1. Not all deep throws were bad decisions but the execution could have been better.

.They highlighted some of the situations when it made more sense for Josh to throw deep in advantageous matchups with Diggs/Davis.  He did bypass check downs but many times these were good decisions.  The 4Q deep throw the Davis wasn’t a poor decision…but an underthrow.  He had a few steps on the corner.  

The second deep pass was more of a throwaway due to a good play design by Miami.  

2. The INT was a bit too greedy but not an entirely terrible decision

Brown was open deep but Josh threw the ball inside which helped out Howard.  A better ball to the outside might get completed.  

Here’s an example where he should have taken the check down.  Bills were up 17-3 and rolling.  Throw was on 1st and 10.  No reason to go for the kill shot there.  

3. The fumble was Josh’s fault

Josh knew pressure was coming and wanted to go to Diggs.  Engram dropped back to take away the curl.  The hot read for Josh was to throw to Singletary.  Instead he pulled the ball down and attempted to get away from Rowe which caused the fumble and TD.  If he just goes down for the sack, he doesn’t fumble.  

4. Miami’s YOLO defensive gamble worked 

Credit to Miami.  They tried to smother Josh with pressure leaving their secondary vulnerable.  They got just enough breaks to make it work.  It should be noted though, that it was a bit flukey.  Between the INT’s, and drops.  Josh easily could have passed for over 400 yards and Buffalo could have scored 40-50 points easy.  

But that didn’t happen and Miami baited Allen into mistakes shortening the field for the offense several times.   It also helped playing the Bills for a 3rd time as they were well prepared to defend Josh on the run - another reason why divisional opponents are hard to play.  

If you watch the game, you’ll see that Allen played pretty well and made a lot of big time throws.  He definitely was not reckless, though I think he could have done a better job with knowing when to go deep, when to check down, and when to outright bail and live another day.  

He also made a few mistakes which turned out to be extremely costly.  But IMO it seems like things he can learn from.  

But who knows?  I’ve been wrong before 😂

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Cover 1 recently did an extensive breakdown of the Bills-Dolphins game.  For me, it helped change the narrative about the game.  

1. Not all deep throws were bad decisions but the execution could have been better.

.They highlighted some of the situations when it made more sense for Josh to throw deep in advantageous matchups with Diggs/Davis.  He did bypass check downs but many times these were good decisions.  The 4Q deep throw the Davis wasn’t a poor decision…but an underthrow.  He had a few steps on the corner.  

The second deep pass was more of a throwaway due to a good play design by Miami.  

2. The INT was a bit too greedy but not an entirely terrible decision

Brown was open deep but Josh threw the ball inside which helped out Howard.  A better ball to the outside might get completed.  

Here’s an example where he should have taken the check down.  Bills were up 17-3 and rolling.  Throw was on 1st and 10.  No reason to go for the kill shot there.  

3. The fumble was Josh’s fault

Josh knew pressure was coming and wanted to go to Diggs.  Engram dropped back to take away the curl.  The hot read for Josh was to throw to Singletary.  Instead he pulled the ball down and attempted to get away from Rowe which caused the fumble and TD.  If he just goes down for the sack, he doesn’t fumble.  

4. Miami’s YOLO defensive gamble worked 

Credit to Miami.  They tried to smother Josh with pressure leaving their secondary vulnerable.  They got just enough breaks to make it work.  It should be noted though, that it was a bit flukey.  Between the INT’s, and drops.  Josh easily could have passed for over 400 yards and Buffalo could have scored 40-50 points easy.  

But that didn’t happen and Miami baited Allen into mistakes shortening the field for the offense several times.   It also helped playing the Bills for a 3rd time as they were well prepared to defend Josh on the run - another reason why divisional opponents are hard to play.  

If you watch the game, you’ll see that Allen played pretty well and made a lot of big time throws.  He definitely was not reckless, though I think he could have done a better job with knowing when to go deep, when to check down, and when to outright bail and live another day.  

He also made a few mistakes which turned out to be extremely costly.  But IMO it seems like things he can learn from.  

But who knows?  I’ve been wrong before 😂

Good info, but there's no way I would describe their defensive strategy as working. They gave up 34 points, more than the 32 they just gave up just a few weeks ago and alot more than the 19 they gave up in week 3. I get that they caused a couple more turnovers, but even with that they still gave up more points. In general Miami has continued to show this year that they still can't stop Josh and this offense. At least they aren't going to be lonely, New England's right there with them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.