THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Buffalo Rises, Again

Shaw66

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

So basically you don't know and you like me are offering an opinion.  One that could or could not be right. 

I'm serious though - if you applied paddles before then that indicates to me you are in the medical profession.  So surely in your vast educational experience and studies you would know the answer.  No?

"When your heart stops beating, you die."

This is patently wrong.  A brief/reversible stopping of the heart obviously isn't "death", which is irreversible.   Every patient who has open heart surgery and is on cardiopulmonary bypass has a non beating heart for a portion of the surgery.   None of them are dead during that time.

Legally, and simply, death has occurred when either or both have occurred: “irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions” or “irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem.”  That latter is commonly referred to as brain death, which can exist in the setting of a beating heart.

So, despite what may an amazing recovery, Hamlin was never "dead".

In the hospital, after cardiac arrest, survivors (those who have been successfully resuscitated) go to the ICU.  Those who do not survive ("the dead") get put in a shroud and are sent to K-1.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"When your heart stops beating, you die."

This is patently wrong.  A brief/reversible stopping of the heart obviously isn't "death", which is irreversible.   Every patient who has open heart surgery and is on cardiopulmonary bypass has a non beating heart for a portion of the surgery.   None of them are dead during that time.

Legally, and simply, death has occurred when either or both have occurred: “irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions” or “irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem.”  That latter is commonly referred to as brain death, which can exist in the setting of a beating heart.

So, despite what may an amazing recovery, Hamlin was never "dead".

In the hospital, after cardiac arrest, survivors (those who have been successfully resuscitated) go to the ICU.  Those who do not survive ("the dead") get put in a shroud and are sent to K-1.

Thanks for taking the time to educate me.  You learn something new every day.  Again - thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.