Childhood Best Friend

BillsPride12

Probably 6-7 different people who were "best friends" at a time growing up from age 5 thru college that drifted apart from for various reasons.

Usually because they moved away or they just got into different things than I was interested in.  

I can't relate entirely to the one best friend every day for years thing.....that much familiarity seems destined for contempt.......but I have seen the story a lot in movies(and that's often the theme).  

I had different groups of friends within different grades and different social cliques of the schools I attended,  different groups of friends in the different neighborhoods around the village I lived in, kids who lived by my grandparents, kids who only visited in summer etc..     I certainly miss all of those friends,  we had great times.  Sometimes I/we try to round some of them up for parties or games(usually with little success).   Still tightest with all of the guys from my catholic school from grade 1-8 and their families.   

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

My best friend Jimmy lived a few doors down and was a grade or two behind me. By high school we drifted apart.

A couple of decades after HS graduation I go to a Mets game and parked in a lot I'd never been to. As I was walking to the stadium I saw a cop with sun glasses directing traffic and ask him the best way out after the game.  He stares back at me says nothing and I'm thinking what a douche - until he lifts his glasses and I see that it's Jimmy!  Had a great chat for a few minutes and haven't seen him since.

8 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Mine was David.  Never forget him ringing my doorbell and inviting me to swim in their pool after my mom died (I didn't' go).  His dad was an ob/gyn.  Caught us looking at playboy once and said "see one, you've seen them all".

These are both great stories! 

Grew up in the 60’s in a really small town in the Southern Tier.  Everyone knew everyone.  There was a group of six of us who did everything together.  We’re all in our 60’s now and we get together for a weekend every three years or so.  Last summer we had 20 folks or so (original six, siblings, and some spouses).  Amazingly enough, knock on wood, we’re all still kicking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Grew up in the 60’s in a really small town in the Southern Tier.  Everyone knew everyone.  There was a group of six of us who did everything together.  We’re all in our 60’s now and we get together for a weekend every three years or so.  Last summer we had 20 folks or so (original six, siblings, and some spouses).  Amazingly enough, knock on wood, we’re all still kicking.

I met up with our gang a couple of 4th of July's ago.  Same thing.  Most of us walked 1/2 way across the Niagara on the girders of the Lewiston Queenston bridge as teens one summer evening.  Also rappelled the gorge without adequate training or equipment.  Knock on wood indeed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.