Losman & Kelly on cover

"I live downtown, and people come up to me often," Losman says. "Most of it is just to wish you luck and some say, 'Oh, God, I can't wait to see you play.' It makes me want to work even harder because I'm representing these fans and their city.

Cool article, I didn't think any of the Bills lived downtown.

Really? Did the trade move to Canada?

340446[/snapback]

From what was happening about twenty years ago, the "trade" went out of downtown up Genesee and also up the West Side. One time, I was at a Red Light (the traffic signal variety, errr... the automotive signal variety, never mind...) at Lafayette and Elmwood when this "trade worker" came up to my car and knocked on the window in attempt to invite herself into the car. I slammed on the peddle and made a turn instead. Another time around the same area a couple of my friends thought it would be fun to entertain a "trade worker's" selling skills. They rolled down the window and she started "selling" with her hands before grabbing a wallet. They had to get out of the car and chase her down to get the wallet back. This was about the time that they were building the trolley downtown and less people were coming downtown (a switch to Younge Street perhaps?).

From what was happening about twenty years ago, the "trade" went out of downtown up Genesee and also up the West Side.  One time, I was at a Red Light (the traffic signal variety, errr... the automotive signal variety,  never mind...) at Lafayette and Elmwood when this "trade worker" came up to my car and knocked on the window in attempt to invite herself into the car.  I slammed on the peddle and made a turn instead.  Another time around the same area a couple of my friends thought it would be fun to entertain a "trade worker's" selling skills.  They rolled down the window and she started "selling" with her hands before grabbing a wallet. They had to get out of the car and chase her down to get the wallet back.  This was about the time that they were building the trolley downtown and less people were coming downtown (a switch to Younge Street perhaps?).

340469[/snapback]

Didn't that trolley end up being a white elephant? I left Bflo. in 1978 - IIRC something called Main Place Mall was cooked up a bit before, along with traffic restrictions.

Didn't that trolley end up being a white elephant? I left Bflo. in 1978 - IIRC something called Main Place Mall was cooked up a bit before, along with traffic restrictions.

340477[/snapback]

The trolley ended up being a one line route from UB to downtown. Initially, when the trolley was first proposed, it was to include a second line that was supposed to extend into the suburbs (Tonawanda I believe). And I may be wrong but I believe it was the Reagan Administration that put the brakes on the second line. I have been on the trolley. It was clean and secure but it only went between UB and downtown! Ultimately, auto traffic downtown on Main Street was eliminated. Being from the North Side, I use to ride the old # 9 bus route which used to start on Kenmore, make it's way down Parkside while passing the Zoo and Delaware Park and ultimately end up downtown. After the trolley came along, the # 9 would hit Main Street and then turn on Jefferson. So the options were to take the bus part of the way and transfer to the trolley or bypass the bus and walk to a trolley station or go by car. Not fun! I pity the poor soul who didn't get the memo about the Jefferson part of the journey, only to get a reality shaking visit to the ghetto, fruit belt and the neighborhood where War Memorial Stadium once stood!

From what I understand, Main Place Mall died a few (?) years back. People were going to the malls in the suburbs and certainly not shopping downtown at night. One of the reasons for the Mall's decline was the barrage of rowdy students after school would let out. It was a Catch - 22 as the kids would loiter and discourage people from Shopping at Main Place but the kids also became the primary patrons of the mall. In fact Jim Kelly opened a huge bar and restaurant in the South end of the mall that was formerly a bank. The bar was a bad business decision. It was out of touch with what Buffalonians would patronize. I went to Kelly's once when I came back for one of the Super Bowls. I remember buying one beer, paying with a twenty and the bartender not returning with my change. I had to get the manager involved in order to get my change. I am not sure how things stand downtown today as I haven't been back since 1999. I know there has been talk of a potential tenant for the old AM&A's. Downtown needs a good population of people with good jobs for working, living and shopping.

Downtown needs a good population of people with good jobs for working, living and shopping.

340547[/snapback]

Yes, bad neighborhoods are such because they are largely filled with bad people.

I remember the fruit belt when it was a thriving community, no trash everywhere, good people who took care of their property.

I recall the very end of Buffalo's old trolley system. There was a roundabout on Kenmore Ave, between Delaware and Colvin - and a delicatessen aptly named the "Loop" situated there. One of the lines used to run on what's now known as Virgil Avenue - if you recall the rail line in N. Buffalo that fed the old Blue Coal facility (a bit north of the Delaware Y), and you followed it towards Colvin, the old Virgil concrete underpass still remains, next to the Delsan Court Apts.

Bills hand off to Losman

This article is also linked on the TBD main page.  I submitted it this afternoon, after I got my copy of USA Today Sports Weekly, only to notice that Daninator submitted it yesterday. 

:)

It's a good read, though.

Mike

340262[/snapback]

Can anyone post the cover as a photo?

Spun, here's a history of Buffalo site that may be of interest to you.

http://ah.bfn.org/h/histindex.html

340586[/snapback]

Cincy, thanks for the link! I am very interested in history! I was only able to scan part of the site but I will return. The section on street name changes is very interesting as is the sections on the various ethnic goups who have settled in Buffalo. And the link to War Memorial! I have been aching to get access to the hidden archives of the Buffalo Historical building.

Thanks again!

In fact Jim Kelly opened a huge bar and restaurant in the South end of the mall that was formerly a bank. The bar was a bad business decision. It was out of touch with what Buffalonians would patronize. I went to Kelly's once when I came back for one of the Super Bowls. I remember buying one beer, paying with a twenty and the bartender not returning with my change. I had to get the manager involved in order to get my change.

At least you got change. I know people who still are owed $$$

Oh, I'm sure he's not. The area is loaded with clubs and hot women. Why would J.P. like that ?    :)

340639[/snapback]

As long as he doesn't shack up with some Playboy skank (like Jeff Garcia), I don't have a problem with him going out and enjoying himself. Just not every night.

I remember Jim Kelly used to have, ahem, a bit of a reputation as a ladies' man.

Mike

Cincy, thanks for the link!  I am very interested in history!  I was only able to scan part of the site but I will return.  The section on street name changes is very interesting as is the sections on the various ethnic goups who have settled in Buffalo.  And the link to War Memorial!  I have been aching to get access to the hidden archives of the Buffalo Historical building.

Thanks again!

340630[/snapback]

Here's another useful site.

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

The company, Arcadia Publishing, has a series called "Images of America". I've got the books, "Buffalo's Waterfront" and "The Town of Tonawanda". I'm sure they are available in the Bflo area bookstores (mine were gifts).